onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Managers available

portdale

Personally, I'd be upset if it was Holloway or Allen. Neither have had any success recently and seem to be far too self-obsessed. For me, a manager needs to be about the players and the club and not about self-promotion. 

Advert

We need a proper manager who wants to galvanise the club in the same fashion as M Adams did

To show ambition it would be the Cowley brothers or Paul Cook which IMO are way off

Grayson or Parkinson no nonsense wanting to prove them selves again would be a good fit both have good CVs and know the EFL well

Graham Alexander would be a achievable appointment and a good fit with a excellent win ratio

The problem is many of those names have been twice around the block and had as many clubs as Nick Faldo. 

Alexander maybe but none of the others for me. McGreal (Colchester). What is he doing? I don't know if it's feasible, right or proper to try and entice managers away from other clubs but the managers at Morecambe and Cheltenham have done well.

It's a huge gamble isn't it? Like pinning a tail on a donkey. For every "successful" manager we've gone through 7-8 poor ones to find him. And there is no magic formula. Rudge came from out of the blue. Adams was highly experienced. All 90 odd clubs want a good manager but only half a dozen can achieve success each season.

I'm not necessarily advocating keeping Askey but it's easy to get rid of someone, a lot harder to find someone who will bring success.

Maybe we'll get some kind of statement from the Club this week. It looks as if we're sticking with him. Or that was the plan before yesterday's woeful result.

1 minute ago, TheSage said:

The problem is many of those names have been twice around the block and had as many clubs as Nick Faldo. 

Alexander maybe but none of the others for me. McGreal (Colchester). What is he doing? I don't know if it's feasible, right or proper to try and entice managers away from other clubs but the managers at Morecambe and Cheltenham have done well.

It's a huge gamble isn't it? Like pinning a tail on a donkey. For every "successful" manager we've gone through 7-8 poor ones to find him. And there is no magic formula. Rudge came from out of the blue. Adams was highly experienced. All 90 odd clubs want a good manager but only half a dozen can achieve success each season.

I'm not necessarily advocating keeping Askey but it's easy to get rid of someone, a lot harder to find someone who will bring success.

Maybe we'll get some kind of statement from the Club this week. It looks as if we're sticking with him. Or that was the plan before yesterday's woeful result.

I think mate they have made their statement. Only other possible statement now is the usual 'The club would like to thank John for his services ' .

Graham Alexander for me. Took fleetwood up, got Scunthorpe in to the play offs, took Salford up and I think it’s only their lofty expectations that saw him sacked despite them being in the play offs when he went. Still relatively young and hungry in managerial terms I think too. 

The trouble with some of these journeyman managers they are sitting on many thousands of pounds of pay offs . How committed will they be? Would you still want to go to work and get a load of hassle if you have a million or two in the bank. Its a difficult one to say the least.   

We need a big personality for sure. Holloway or in that mould is a must. Despite being a league 2 club, a Vale manager must deal with scrutiny you don’t get at an Accrington or Stevenage. 

I very much doubt we would ever go for Pulis, and I can’t stand the man...but he did work with Rudgie and worked with him well..so why not? 

Vale matters to people. Stevenage rarely feature in their local press, but a big Vale story can get on the front page of The Sentinel. 

4 minutes ago, bomber said:

The trouble with some of these journeyman managers they are sitting on many thousands of pounds of pay offs . How committed will they be? Would you still want to go to work and get a load of hassle if you have a million or two in the bank. Its a difficult one to say the least.   

Good point. Never saw it like that. 

39 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Graham Alexander for me. Took fleetwood up, got Scunthorpe in to the play offs, took Salford up and I think it’s only their lofty expectations that saw him sacked despite them being in the play offs when he went. Still relatively young and hungry in managerial terms I think too. 

Done a good job but only every worked for clubs who have had a lot of financial muscle, whichever division he was operating in.

The same could be said for Flitcroft.

Both are a no for me.

Simon Grayson
Graham Alexander
Phil Parkinson

these are the only 3 that would interest me. Holloway isnt up to the job anymore, and failed to make an impact at Grimsby. Unless there is a surprise candidate, I think It will be likely to be one of these three.

Archived