Clinton Boulton

3 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

Did well in midfield too. I think we got £10k for him which I suppose was decent money at the time. I recall being upset at his sale as he was a good player and Torquay hardly an attraction. 

Remember that well and thought exactly the same..Why on earth did we sell him?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Remember him well. Brilliant full back and one of our all-time greats. RIP Clinton, we have great memories of you.

Memory is a funny thing - I've always thought of him as a no. 4 - Rt wing half in front of the defence? But, in a similar way, I've always remembered Porter as a central midfield scrapper, not a winger? Time and memory, eh?

5 hours ago, robf said:

Thanks to a long-serving Vale fan for sending me this clipping...

clinton-boulton.thumb.jpg.5121622ef4d5ee1a7c1a2d7e03453eb9.jpg

Thanks for that Rob,as it confirms what I thought. I remember some great local lads coming through the City  schools  team.Great memories. Shame todays football is so different.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes he did Santa,I met him at Saltway County Primary Junior school in Werrington that was the original school in Salters Lane,he was a couple of years older than me and he used to ask me if I would stay over every night after school and have a kick around in the playground with a tennis ball,even then you could tell he was a special footballer !! A true Vale Legend !! RIP Clint.

Did he come from Cellarhead, that sort of way?
  • Like 1

Just missed out in seeing him play for Vale. I know he was supposed to me a nice guy from a collegue who played with him at Torquay. Whenever we talk Port Vale he brings him up as being a special guy.

Clinton's Vale career was by and large (69/70 apart) in a struggling side where he would have been the stand out player until Horton's arrival. 

Comfortable on the ball, he was equally at home in an attacking sense as in a defensive one. 

Being a fans favourite, from a supporters point of view it was a perplexing move when he uprooted to Torquay, a team no greater than Vale. 

Sad, sad news. Yet another of my boyhood heroes taken to soon. 

• Like 4

Also, a quick check on Clinton's stats at the Vale make interesting reading. 

In the current era when professional footballers cannot possibly play twice a week, our very own "Cafu" only missed 24 league games in his last five full seasons with us, including a league run of only six non appearances from August '68 to May' 71. 

Now that's a pro footballer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Davo666 said:

Yes he did Santa,I met him at Saltway County Primary Junior school in Werrington that was the original school in Salters Lane,he was a couple of years older than me and he used to ask me if I would stay over every night after school and have a kick around in the playground with a tennis ball,even then you could tell he was a special footballer !! A true Vale Legend !! RIP Clint.

Thanks for that, in those days my Grandad would have been a regular on the Berrisford's bus to Vale that went down that way.