New year message from Carol

Some are just as bad on here, though some of the idiotic comments on FB beggar belief.

I love speaking with everyone and I miss you all terribly but chatting before a match or on the phone is totally different to being tagged on literally hundreds of messages that I can’t possibly (and, in truth, it wouldn’t be appropriate for me to) read and respond to.
We do, however, ensure that everything is read as we want feedback – the positive and negative – because it’s the best way to understand and learn.
Facebook gimps. Leave her alone. 
  • Like 1

A well-written and excellent post. It is clear Carol has faith in the current set up and we need to wholeheartedly support that, whether we agree with it or not. 

The freaks on social media who tag her in stuff are just wrong'uns. Every club has them. 

We're still extremely lucky to have Carol as our Chairlady. 

A side note, I found this passage interesting - 

As such, I completely understand (and share) the frustrations you have all felt through November and December.  

I have realised during the past couple of months that my focus needed to change.

Whilst the club has many supporters it only has one leader and, whilst being a fan is a huge benefit, it can’t be the major driver for me.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2

Advert:

Well thought out message from the top. I still find it incredible their are numpties who give the Shanahan family stick because the team have been crap.

Shame on them.

Edited by MBE
  • Like 1

I (optimistically) believe that the idiots are a very, very small minority. I would estimate 95%+ of Vale fans are beyond supportive of what the Shanahans are doing.

Every single fanbase has weird individuals. Social media was a mistake.

• Like 5

A well thought through statement! Carol for me is addressing the concerns that we have as supporters during these challenging on/off the field activities.

As a professional and capable person, she has gone as far as I feel she can go with this communication point. Better sometimes to say nothing than create even more unrest.

I’m sure we all know we have the greatest owners in the land and that they are trying to improve the club in many directions, with the football side an important part.

I am hurt and frustrated when the pitch side results go negative, I cringe behind the screen at times, weekend spoiled, I’d kick the cat ( metaphorically) if I had one.

Mistakes have been made this season, let’s ensure that everyone, reflects and moves forward?

I look forward to a positive 2021 and will continue to support the club.

UTV

P.S. Would hope that JA makes a resolution about substitutes and game management.

• Like 2

Its good that we've had a message, and a well written one at that, but my worry is next season. We sold so many season tickets because expectations were so high, and success looked as though it was returning to VP, but this seasons performances will surely knock off a thousand ST's from that figure.

Advert:

I think this bit was bang on:

As much as supporters would like regular updates of what is happening behind the scenes at the club very often we are limited on what we can, or often should, say.

When I or the club have something to say and we feel it is appropriate to do so we won’t shy away from saying it. In the same way that I won’t shy away from making difficult decisions. I do this every day – it’s just that few will ever get to see and hear about such decisions.

We can't expect to know everything that goes on at the club nor should the club tell us. 

• Like 3

This is what some on here have cried out for and now they have got it,very good and well thought out from Carol.

We all know she is sticking with Askey so like it or not we go with that,luckily we are still only 6 points off the play offs despite this shocking run.

We have got to all stick together now and lets do this

Happy new year vale family 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mikey said:

Its good that we've had a message, and a well written one at that, but my worry is next season. We sold so many season tickets because expectations were so high, and success looked as though it was returning to VP, but this seasons performances will surely knock off a thousand ST's from that figure.

The upside would be 1,000 more paying on the day when we spread our wings again.

But we do not know how the 2nd half will turn out, players can develop so raising spirits, the season may be curtailed. The main thing is a sound business footing in the current circumstances.

• Like 1

As ever, an open, honest and warm message from Carol.  As supporters, we all like (me included) a bit of tittle-tattle about what's going on at our beloved club, but obviously within the constraints and rules that a chairperson is governed by, there are things that cannot be publicly shared.  I for one trust Carol to keep us informed when there are important things to be communicated. In the meantime, we should probably keep any 'conspiracy theories' to ourselves and be patient for any developments both off and on the pitch.

I for one certainly have the greatest respect for all that Carol & Kevin have done, and indeed continue to do, for our club.  I just hope that we all give thanks that they are in charge in these massively difficult circumstances and give them the trust, respect and space to do their jobs running Port Vale.

To the two of them, all those involved on-pitch, behind the scenes and also to the wider PV team, plus of course, all supporters; a very happy new year, let's all hope that 2021 is less traumatic and much kinder to everyone.  I shall certainly keep the faith.  Up the Vale!

• Like 4

Advert:

I think it's clear that Carol has thought this issue through a lot. It's refreshing to have a considered response to an issue after obvious reflection. The accusations that she is 'scared of making decisions' are obviously complete rubbish.

Again, as it's been made clear, some fans (including me) believe a change should be made, but Carol is infinitely more qualified than I or any other Vale fan to make this call. I think my view is fairly reasonable, and I imagine Carol has probably considered it herself at several junctures.

However, she's got clear principles that guide her decisions and I fully back her on that front; a welcome change to the Rioja-fuelled scattergun approach of 2013-19. It'll be very interesting to see how this plays out over the coming months, with a crucial January in store.

A final point from this saga is that we should aim to diminish the clowns in the fanbase, and not magnify them with incessant references/discussions about them. We end up painting our club in a bad light. 

Debates over the manager are part and parcel of football, and Vale fans arriving on here to shut them down were foolish; it would happen in every fanbase, and in my view is perfectly healthy. Debate and argue by all means, but you were never going to stifle discussion on this issue, and I doubt Carol would want that. If we continue to struggle, the debates will continue, and rightly so; I don't fancy logging on here to see 100 posts of the same opinion, or what's the point in watching football?

The minority of specimens who feel compelled to let Carol know their opinion directly are not worth the focus and attention some want to give them. Ignore them, call them daft, and leave it. The Wonder of Port Vale is, I'm sure, a good forum for fans to chat about Vale, but is also full of folk who rarely attend and like the attention of being the contrarian. It's a shame that Carol has distanced herself from social media but very few owners actively engage in that manner anymore. Not saying it's right, just the sum of football + idiots x social media, a horrendous cocktail.

Let us not paint what is a very passionate and supportive fanbase into some form of Italian-ultras group who harass the staff and players, as it's simply not true. Every fanbase in England has numpties (believe the Potters have a tendency to storm boardrooms/boo their greatest manager, as an example); social media has given them a voice that their rational faculties (or lack thereof) shouldn't have access to. In my view, most Vale fans deserve a medal for retaining what little sanity we have left following the unmitigated and consistent disaster of 2003-2019.

I don't pay much attention to New Years stuff, but I think after the traumatic year many of us have had, in which we perhaps all know someone Vale who is no longer with us, it's fair to reflect and surmise that we are blessed to have Carol Shanahan as our Chairlady, and, bar a few idiots, we've got a great fanbase, as much as some wind me up. We may have stumbled a tad, but we are undoubtedly (perhaps slowly), making the right steps in all aspects, which we've failed to do in my entire lifetime of supporting this infuriating affair.

A ramble but, to quote every American athlete, often people/institutions are strengthened through a tough time/adversity. I hope we can treat this year as a vital learning experience and move forward. Carol will have learned more about running a football club this year than she ever anticipated. 

Up the Cheeky Whites. Let's have this tinpot league. Into these.

Edited by Joe B

Facebook I’m not even on so can’t comment . But there are certainly a handful on here who have started to try and turn the tide against carol . Fortunately people haven’t taken the bait. There was even a group set up to slag off the clubs new Moto ‘want need expect’

I’m sure much appreciated by owners and staff who work hard behind the scenes.

Carol wants and deserves a family club that serves the community and equally the community serves the club back with some positivity and appreciation.

I have every confidence in her decision making and ambition for the club and myself and many others are proud to have her as the owner

Up the vale and here’s to a return to form when the players are back and fit