onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Mansfield Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Have we even got enough players available to name a starting 11 as we already had 3 youth teamers on the bench as it was, so if its a first team starter that has covid then that would be another taken out the side.

2 others being tested too so guess if they have it then we will have to call it.

18 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Have we even asked the question of postponement. Askey seems to be of the ' we crack on with it ' from his comments in the Lardinel .

But why ? It's not cheating, games are being called off every hour. 

Normally it would suggest they can't be key players then as why would a manager in Askey's position want to play.

Then again, this is Askey's famed decision making we're talking about however. 

1 hour ago, Doha said:

Normally it would suggest they can't be key players then as why would a manager in Askey's position want to play.

Then again, this is Askey's famed decision making we're talking about however. 

As per his substitutions, he'll probably just go like-for-like and replace the affected players with others that have Covid! (....and leave it until as late as possible to do so!)

Really need to start winning. We can defend as well as we want to against a lone Lee Novak, but if we attack like we did on the 29th we're not going to win many games. A balance needs to be struck.

The mentality of things will shift if we get sucked into the mire. As it's been pointed out, the bottom two have games in hand, with a lot of new managers in that part of the table, and some teams are turning the tide.

Fully fit, as Carol said, we have a good squad, but I don't want to be in games where wins are needed to avoid getting uncomfortably close to the bottom 2. Things get tense, cagey, and of a lower quality as players are terrified of making a mistake.

If we can get 4 points from these next 2, get Gibbons and Worrall back in the side, and manage Amoo, Monty, and Manny's workloads better, then we should start reversing this decline and steadily climbing the table.

Hopefully we can freshen things up with a couple of well-selected loans (look at the impact Moreton had at Northampton last season) too.

I personally don’t think even fully fit we have that good of a squad. Defence is imo short a decent centre back and left back. We’re desperate for some creativity and a decent centre mid that can actually play a respectable number of matches and at least one forward. Add in injuries to our squad and it goes from being ok to very poor very quickly. Signings are needed but I’d prefer us to sign nobody if askey remains as it will just be another wasted window. 

Against another side not doing great today, don’t expect given how we’re playing to get anything. Unless we do what we did at Bradford in the week and we could sneak another 0-0

14 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I personally don’t think even fully fit we have that good of a squad. Defence is imo short a decent centre back and left back. We’re desperate for some creativity and a decent centre mid that can actually play a respectable number of matches and at least one forward. Add in injuries to our squad and it goes from being ok to very poor very quickly. Signings are needed but I’d prefer us to sign nobody if askey remains as it will just be another wasted window. 

Against another side not doing great today, don’t expect given how we’re playing to get anything. Unless we do what we did at Bradford in the week and we could sneak another 0-0

I think a fully fit side is still a good side, one which Carol correctly said could probably beat anyone in this division:

Brown

Gibbons Smith Legge/Brisley Montano

Conlon Joyce Oyeleke

Amoo Rodney Worrall

Issue remains that most of that side was inherited by Askey, and that Oyeleke, Amoo, and Montano (the pillars of creativity in the side) tend to pick up injuries.

Askey based his summer business on 'squad depth', but unfortunately he only managed to sign substandard players unable to replicate the form of those they were replacing (Whitehead and Mills being prime examples), or players who don't like being part of 'squad depth' (McKirdy and Robinson).

Nonetheless, as much as I've called for Askey to be replaced, if he can get Gibbons, Montano, and Amoo playing a good chunk of the remaining games (they all managed 30+ out of 37 last season) and maybe carefully squeeze 10-12 out of Manny, we should win more than we lose moving forward.

However, if he continues to show a lack of ability to see out games, make proactive substitutions, react to in-game shifts, and improve the 11 through smart signings, then I struggle to see how his position remains tenable once this financial issue is over and football returns to normal.

I imagine we'll see a couple of loans and maybe an overall reduction of the wage bill, considering the shortfall in income we're experiencing at present. 

Archived