Jump to content

McKirdy & Robinson...Goodbye ?


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

Sweet dreams!  It's very rare to get a provider AND striker rolled into one--if Worrall was that good, he'd be worth an absolute  fortune and not be playing for us!!

I'm not expecting him to get double figures in both goals and assists. But the fact is his goal record is poor, however you try to shape it. A player of his ability in League Two should be aiming for double figures over a full season but he gets nowhere near that. There are centre-backs that score more often than Worrall. Despite his assists, generally his crossing, set-pieces and particularly his shooting are often diabolical.

Edited by TylerB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Worrall is 2nd to Kevin de Bruyne in assists for 2020. He's tied with Bruno Fernandes. In all of English Football. All 92 clubs. He takes corners but Conlon takes free kicks. It's absolutely exception

Imagine signing a lad say 18yrs.from Moor Green or Rhyl, this site, facebook and twitter would be in meltdown accusing Carol of a lack of ambition and Askey of lazy signings, giving so called experts

For me the McKirdy one is simple. Alex Hurst has now barged into the first-team picture which wasn't the case when McKirdy was signed. Hurst offers more discipline tracking back and more of a threat o

22 hours ago, TylerB said:

I'm not expecting him to get double figures in both goals and assists. But the fact is his goal record is poor, however you try to shape it. A player of his ability in League Two should be aiming for double figures over a full season but he gets nowhere near that. There are centre-backs that score more often than Worrall. Despite his assists, generally his crossing, set-pieces and particularly his shooting are often diabolical.

Obviously I would love it if he (and for that matter any other PV player) scored more goals, but however you look at it, the fact still stands; check the stats and you'll see he's top of the list for assists in the whole of league two.  I suspect his stats would be even better if we had more efficient strikers to take advantage of the service he provides!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny one Worrall is.

I like him and rate him as league two footballer.

It does surprise me he's top of the list for assists as when I watch him I do find myself frustrated by his final ball or cross.

It's an aspect of his game that I always thought needed improving and that that was why he was league two.

Evidently I know nowt!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello is there any Admin out there ?   Think you may want to change the name of this thread as those in the title are not getting any real mention. I think you need change the title to "Lets Pick on Worrall Now "

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Funny one Worrall is.

I like him and rate him as league two footballer.

It does surprise me he's top of the list for assists as when I watch him I do find myself frustrated by his final ball or cross.

It's an aspect of his game that I always thought needed improving and that that was why he was league two.

Evidently I know nowt!!!

Put in enough crosses and you'll get someone on the end of something eventually. I go by what I see with my own eyes, and I lose count how many times Worrall completely wastes a cross and/or a set piece by either over or under hitting the ball.

Seems some people here think because he's got the most assists for us it somehow makes him the League Two Kevin De Bruyne. I like my wide players to be able to beat a full-back with skill or pace, and to get a few goals. Worrall does none of that.

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Put in enough crosses and you'll get someone on the end of something eventually. I go by what I see with my own eyes, and I lose count how many times Worrall completely wastes a cross and/or a set piece by either over or under hitting the ball.

Seems some people here think because he's got the most assists for us it somehow makes him the League Two Kevin De Bruyne. I like my wide players to be able to beat a full-back with skill or pace, and to get a few goals. Worrall does none of that.

In part,  I agree with you.  As I say, it does surprise me that he's top of the league for assists.

It's not something to dismiss though.  Everytime people are rating a player they rightly bring up stats.  Everytime they mention de bruyne, for example, they normally chuckle and say 1 million chances created in the second half.  Or something like that!

Also, the fact he's put in so many crosses does suggest he gets into the position to do so. Loads of wingers we've had over the years simply think getting to the byline and running the ball out of play qualifies them to play on the wing.

He ain't world class, but we're a far better team with him in it.

IMO obvs

Edited by eh up nah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Put in enough crosses and you'll get someone on the end of something eventually. I go by what I see with my own eyes, and I lose count how many times Worrall completely wastes a cross and/or a set piece by either over or under hitting the ball.

Seems some people here think because he's got the most assists for us it somehow makes him the League Two Kevin De Bruyne. I like my wide players to be able to beat a full-back with skill or pace, and to get a few goals. Worrall does none of that.

Come on, mate. You're choosing to die on this hill? Of all the tripe, our player of the year is the focus of your ire?

If getting assists is so easy, why doesn't every player put up as many as Worrall? Why is it only the top players in the country put up similar numbers? If it's just lobbing balls into the box, surely every winger should be topping annual charts in the manner of Worrall? Has he just been extremely lucky?

You may like your players to beat a man with skill and pace, but I don't care how they create goals, just that they do. Worrall does.

Worrall creates goals at a much higher rate than anyone else at this level. 

Let's have a look at the other top assisters from last year:

Kirk - 7 goals

Williams - 5 goals

Worrall - 4 goals

Adams - 1 goals

Cooper - 3 goals

The only one to really outperform Worrall by any great extent is Kirk. This belief you have that widemen who create  need to score more goals is a complete fallacy.

Just cannot agree with you at all. Worrall is a good player. He may not fit your exact criteria for your ideal wideman, but there are previous few of the nature you describe playing League 2 football. I'd be hard-pressed to name one.  Danny Mayor? Though he only scored 1 last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Your wide players? Which team do you manage then?

Vale fans are obsessed with wide players in the mould of the 90s wingers. 

We have a perfectly decent winger who has consistently shown an ability to create chances (when no one else seems capable in this side), and apparently that's not enough, as it doesn't fit some nebulous, arbitrarily defined prototype of wingers.

I like my forwards 6"2, rapid, great first touch, score 20 a season, can link play, win headers. Doesn't mean I'm getting it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


How can you moan at worrall when he has the most assists in league 2 this season. Not all wingers score goals like myrie Williams and Vincent did. One of the best wingers to play for vale guppy hardly ever scored.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Come on, mate. You're choosing to die on this hill? Of all the tripe, our player of the year is the focus of your ire?

If getting assists is so easy, why doesn't every player put up as many as Worrall? Why is it only the top players in the country put up similar numbers? If it's just lobbing balls into the box, surely every winger should be topping annual charts in the manner of Worrall? Has he just been extremely lucky?

You may like your players to beat a man with skill and pace, but I don't care how they create goals, just that they do. Worrall does.

Worrall creates goals at a much higher rate than anyone else at this level. 

Let's have a look at the other top assisters from last year:

Kirk - 7 goals

Williams - 5 goals

Worrall - 4 goals

Adams - 1 goals

Cooper - 3 goals

The only one to really outperform Worrall by any great extent is Kirk. This belief you have that widemen who create  need to score more goals is a complete fallacy.

Just cannot agree with you at all. Worrall is a good player. He may not fit your exact criteria for your ideal wideman, but there are previous few of the nature you describe playing League 2 football. I'd be hard-pressed to name one.  Danny Mayor? Though he only scored 1 last year.

Did Worrall only get 4 assists last year? I bet Gibbo got that many as well from full back. That’s the combination i would like to see back, Gibbo and Worrall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all love these stats as Vale fans, stats for a future manager, stats for our players, Inever pay any attention for these.  We can also see by performances on the pitch how a player is performing not by looking at stats.  Someone will knock a hopeful ball into the box or knock a simple 5 yard pass  and we score, they get an assist, someone beats 2 or 3 players lays it on a plate, then our so called striker miss the target, nothing.  I know Amoo got no where near Worrall for assists last year but felt his delivery was to a similar level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Did Worrall only get 4 assists last year? I bet Gibbo got that many as well from full back. That’s the combination i would like to see back, Gibbo and Worrall. 

4 goals 11 assists in 34 league games. This year 2 goals and 8 assists from 18 league games. Good record that and the stats don't lie. To not play Worrall when he's available would be ludicrous. 

Edited by ginge
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s better to be a good player going through a bad patch then be a player who’s best day is Worrall’s worst - which is the boat 8+ players are in.

Edited by 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2021 at 08:14, Walter said:


...Pope is 35 or whatever and this season its showing. (Hes still our best striker mind)...
 

Not sure why this opinion keeps cropping up, when faced with stats, facts and visual evidence to the contrary? Not knocking his past achievements with the Vale...but that's exactly what they are...past!

As for the subjects of this thread - if either/both of them plays and has a good game, it would seem to give credence to there having been off-pitch problems?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Moderators don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking (e.g. personal abuse) - use the orange report button above a post to alert them.

    If you can't get on with another forum user you can select the "ignore" option. Simply click on the link below, type in their username and save - Click here




×
×
  • Create New...