onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

McKirdy & Robinson...Goodbye ?

blackdog

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

I said “more prolific”, which is what you want is it not?  More goals?  I can only repeat myself for a third time and say I agree with you that he should score more, but if he was a regular 10 - 12 goal a season man he wouldn’t be playing his trade in the 4th division.  What part of that is so difficult for you to comprehend?

He's not even a 7 or 8 goals a season man, which is the point I'm making. I already said previously I don't expect him to get into double figures every season. But an average of 4 goals a season over his career is poor, regardless of his assists. Especially when you're playing as an attacking wide player in a side. There's no excuse for him not to score more goals than he does. His shooting is all too often awful. 

Advert

5 hours ago, TylerB said:

He's not even a 7 or 8 goals a season man, which is the point I'm making. I already said previously I don't expect him to get into double figures every season. But an average of 4 goals a season over his career is poor, regardless of his assists. Especially when you're playing as an attacking wide player in a side. There's no excuse for him not to score more goals than he does. His shooting is all too often awful. 

What do you suggest then? Moving him to a deeper position and maybe losing out on some assists? Or letting him go and bringing in a goal scoring winger? 

14 hours ago, Powerline said:

It amazes me that Worrall is actually being criticised, by far the most creative player we’ve had in years.

Anyway, back on topic, I wonder how much we can read into the inclusion of Robinson but not McKirdy in the squad against Grimsby.

This is purely just speculation, but to me it suggests that Robinson was being omitted due to not fitting in with Askey’s plans rather than attitude. He’s never been a troublemaker throughout his career and is an experienced professional, so his track record suggests he wouldn’t cause trouble and Pugh giving him a chance supports that theory. 

McKirdy, in comparison, seems like maybe he was ostracised due to attitude. He has a track record of problems with attitude, and Robinson returning to the side but McKirdy not suggests to me that he’s failed to change his ways.

If this is the case, then hopefully we’ll get him off our books this window. I wouldn’t mind giving Robinson a chance. Even though I think he’s terrible, he’s got a good record from Colchester and Swindon recently, and maybe the new manager whoever that may be could get more out of him.

For the record my posts are certainly not a criticism of Worrall.  

As I said earlier it is a wider issue in that we have too many forward players who are not scoring.  Take Worrall assists out of it and these numbers would be far lower.

Fully get other posters comments re: Heskey / Firminho, which only reinforce my point in that they were / are deployed to support prolific goal scorers who then offset their lower goal contribution for the greater good.

For the record my posts are certainly not a criticism of Worrall.  

As I said earlier it is a wider issue in that we have too many forward players who are not scoring.  Take Worrall assists out of it and these numbers would be far lower.
Fully get other posters comments re: Heskey / Firminho, which only reinforce my point in that they were / are deployed to support prolific goal scorers who then offset their lower goal contribution for the greater good.
Most teams are the sum of the parts, L2 players are L2 players, some will be OK in L1. Worrall is not our weakest link just because in general his strength is tilted more to assisting than scoring goals. Making better use of him is the way forward.

4 hours ago, ginge said:

What do you suggest then? Moving him to a deeper position and maybe losing out on some assists? Or letting him go and bringing in a goal scoring winger? 

I've always had the opinion that he should be used as an attacking midfielder, or the most forward player out of the three in midfield. Montano and Amoo out wide. His best attribute is his engine and he has the ability to get into the box.

In a 4-4-2 he there's less need for him to get more goals from out wide with the extra forward.

I just don't think that as part of the front three he scores enough goals to not say that his record is a bit of a concern, not when he starts every game. 

11 hours ago, TylerB said:

Someone else gets it finally!

Literally all I've said is that he doesn't score enough goals. He should score 7 or 8 a season. Not that he doesn't create, isn't a good player (for this level) or worthy of a place in the side etc. 😂

He scored 5 last season with 7 games to go. 

14 minutes ago, 1 said:

Worrall + 15 goals is not a L2 player, so if he did score those goals, he wouldn’t be scoring them for us.

Worrall has never been a league 2 player. He featured regularly in a Millwall team that was promoted to the Championship. He is just unlucky to have been with a league 2 club like us that really should be in league 1. 

34 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

He scored 5 last season with 7 games to go. 

He would have scored a total of 6 had those 7 been played at best. His career record tells us that. This season he has all of 2 thus far, which is pretty pants for a player of some quality. 

16 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Worrall would have missed, in my opinion. He does miss those chances.

Without question Worrall would be in my current first eleven. As a creator of chances he is excellent.         It still doesnt hide the fact that he is not a regular goalscorer.

Not scoring as many goals as you would like doesn't hide the fact that he is one of the best players in this league.

35 minutes ago, TylerB said:

He would have scored a total of 6 had those 7 been played at best. His career record tells us that. This season he has all of 2 thus far, which is pretty pants for a player of some quality. 

Give it a rest, Worrall has been a great player for us, makes you wonder how good he would be if he wasn't carrying a long term injury

12 hours ago, TylerB said:

I feel like I’m watching a dog chasing his own tail.

Can anybody give me a valid reason , and i'm all for opinions and debate, that is what the forum is for.

But why at Vale do we seem to be derisory about players from the past like JMW and now Worrall who are amongst our better players.

JMW used to get pelters for being lazy and not tracking back, fair enough in instances but he was continually slated.

Now Worrall.

Anyway how are Robinson and McKirdy ? 

Archived