onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

McKirdy & Robinson...Goodbye ?

blackdog

8 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Why would I contemplate backing down or changing my opinion when the facts speak for themselves? I've already said we don't score anything like enough as a team. So that goes for every single player we have.  Worrall gets a mention because he's one of the first names on the team sheet every week and was constantly a part of the 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1 formation Askey liked to play. I've not once said he'a a poor player, or not good enough to warrant a start. All I've said is that an average of one goal every 10 games is absolutely shocking for a player who does have some ability, regardless of other aspects of his game. The only counter argument I've had to that yet is "Well he assists a lot...".

Not once have I said he should be "prolific". He's a League Two player for a reason. But he should be good enough to score 6 or 7 goals a season, and he doesn't. So as a low scoring side his lack of goals has to be seen as a part of a wider problem.

I’m not saying you don’t have a point of you consider it in complete isolation, I’m saying the level of frustration and pent up anger you are portraying whilst dying on this hill points to the fact it no longer seems to be about the topic itself, rather it’s become about the argument.

That will eat you alive, case in point, it’s already lead to you calling someone you don’t know a D*c*n*s*e on a forum.

Just my opinion. Feel free to ignore and continue the crusade.

Advert

9 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

Considering we are supposedly such a low scoring team it's interesting to note that only 4 teams in our league have scored more than us at this point in time.

True, however several the same from up to 4 games less played.  Our figures also distorted by the Bolton game, and indeed half of the league goals we have scored came in 4 games (Bolton, Walsall, Tranmere, Grimsby).   We have often looked toothless.

It amazes me that Worrall is actually being criticised, by far the most creative player we’ve had in years.

Anyway, back on topic, I wonder how much we can read into the inclusion of Robinson but not McKirdy in the squad against Grimsby.

This is purely just speculation, but to me it suggests that Robinson was being omitted due to not fitting in with Askey’s plans rather than attitude. He’s never been a troublemaker throughout his career and is an experienced professional, so his track record suggests he wouldn’t cause trouble and Pugh giving him a chance supports that theory. 

McKirdy, in comparison, seems like maybe he was ostracised due to attitude. He has a track record of problems with attitude, and Robinson returning to the side but McKirdy not suggests to me that he’s failed to change his ways.

If this is the case, then hopefully we’ll get him off our books this window. I wouldn’t mind giving Robinson a chance. Even though I think he’s terrible, he’s got a good record from Colchester and Swindon recently, and maybe the new manager whoever that may be could get more out of him.

22 hours ago, TylerB said:

Regardless of whether you would give him a 5 out of 10 today or a 10 out of 10, to imply that it doesn't matter if he doesn't score goals (or very few of them) is crazy. He's an attacking player in an already low scoring side.

Emile Heskey played 62 games as a striker for England.  He scored 7 goals.  So why did managers keep picking him?  Because of the way he brought other players into games and created goals for them.  That's what Worrall does.  Suppose he'd had a shot instead of crossing when he broke away for that third goal.  Suppose he'd have missed - you'd have said he should have passed.

2 hours ago, Birches Head Fred said:

Considering we are supposedly such a low scoring team it's interesting to note that only 4 teams in our league have scored more than us at this point in time.

And over the last 3 or 4 years?

Since the Bolton game scoring hasn't been a big problem for us. But before that creating genuine chances was.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Emile Heskey played 62 games as a striker for England.  He scored 7 goals.  So why did managers keep picking him?  Because of the way he brought other players into games and created goals for them.  That's what Worrall does.  Suppose he'd had a shot instead of crossing when he broke away for that third goal.  Suppose he'd have missed - you'd have said he should have passed.

Heskey was a grafter, as is Worrall. I could understand why Heskey was often selected as it was to get the best out of Michael Owen. The same as I fully understand why Worrall is selected every week even if he doesn't score the amount he should be capable of.

I still stand by my point in that if we play 4-3-3 and Worrall is one of the front three, then his lack of goals is somewhat of a concern, and also puts more pressure any whichever forward we select. But of course we have a lack of goals throughout the side more often or not, so he's not alone. The only reason I mentioned him was because he has a bit more quality than the others.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

Firmino has scored 5 in 25 games this season as a centre forward for the best club side in the world. Should he be playing or should they ditch him? 😉

This season he's largely been poor by his previous standards. The only reason he's been selected as a starter of late is because Jota got injured. I get that a player doesn't have to just score goals to have worth to the team. We would be a lesser side without Worrall. Just think he should be scoring a few more than he does over a season. 😊

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Worrall would have missed, in my opinion. He does miss those chances.

Without question Worrall would be in my current first eleven. As a creator of chances he is excellent.         It still doesnt hide the fact that he is not a regular goalscorer.

6 hours ago, TylerB said:

Who said he needs to be prolific? You're just making things up to suit your argument. 

All I've said is he should be scoring a few more a season, all things considered, and the snowflakes here are up in arms as usual.

I said “more prolific”, which is what you want is it not?  More goals?  I can only repeat myself for a third time and say I agree with you that he should score more, but if he was a regular 10 - 12 goal a season man he wouldn’t be playing his trade in the 4th division.  What part of that is so difficult for you to comprehend?

4 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Worrall would have missed, in my opinion. He does miss those chances.

Without question Worrall would be in my current first eleven. As a creator of chances he is excellent.         It still doesnt hide the fact that he is not a regular goalscorer.

Someone else gets it finally!

Literally all I've said is that he doesn't score enough goals. He should score 7 or 8 a season. Not that he doesn't create, isn't a good player (for this level) or worthy of a place in the side etc. 😂

Archived