onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

McKirdy & Robinson...Goodbye ?

blackdog

54 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Put in enough crosses and you'll get someone on the end of something eventually. I go by what I see with my own eyes, and I lose count how many times Worrall completely wastes a cross and/or a set piece by either over or under hitting the ball.

Seems some people here think because he's got the most assists for us it somehow makes him the League Two Kevin De Bruyne. I like my wide players to be able to beat a full-back with skill or pace, and to get a few goals. Worrall does none of that.

Come on, mate. You're choosing to die on this hill? Of all the tripe, our player of the year is the focus of your ire?

If getting assists is so easy, why doesn't every player put up as many as Worrall? Why is it only the top players in the country put up similar numbers? If it's just lobbing balls into the box, surely every winger should be topping annual charts in the manner of Worrall? Has he just been extremely lucky?

You may like your players to beat a man with skill and pace, but I don't care how they create goals, just that they do. Worrall does.

Worrall creates goals at a much higher rate than anyone else at this level. 

Let's have a look at the other top assisters from last year:

Kirk - 7 goals

Williams - 5 goals

Worrall - 4 goals

Adams - 1 goals

Cooper - 3 goals

The only one to really outperform Worrall by any great extent is Kirk. This belief you have that widemen who create  need to score more goals is a complete fallacy.

Just cannot agree with you at all. Worrall is a good player. He may not fit your exact criteria for your ideal wideman, but there are previous few of the nature you describe playing League 2 football. I'd be hard-pressed to name one.  Danny Mayor? Though he only scored 1 last year.

Advert

53 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Your wide players? Which team do you manage then?

Vale fans are obsessed with wide players in the mould of the 90s wingers. 

We have a perfectly decent winger who has consistently shown an ability to create chances (when no one else seems capable in this side), and apparently that's not enough, as it doesn't fit some nebulous, arbitrarily defined prototype of wingers.

I like my forwards 6"2, rapid, great first touch, score 20 a season, can link play, win headers. Doesn't mean I'm getting it.

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Come on, mate. You're choosing to die on this hill? Of all the tripe, our player of the year is the focus of your ire?

If getting assists is so easy, why doesn't every player put up as many as Worrall? Why is it only the top players in the country put up similar numbers? If it's just lobbing balls into the box, surely every winger should be topping annual charts in the manner of Worrall? Has he just been extremely lucky?

You may like your players to beat a man with skill and pace, but I don't care how they create goals, just that they do. Worrall does.

Worrall creates goals at a much higher rate than anyone else at this level. 

Let's have a look at the other top assisters from last year:

Kirk - 7 goals

Williams - 5 goals

Worrall - 4 goals

Adams - 1 goals

Cooper - 3 goals

The only one to really outperform Worrall by any great extent is Kirk. This belief you have that widemen who create  need to score more goals is a complete fallacy.

Just cannot agree with you at all. Worrall is a good player. He may not fit your exact criteria for your ideal wideman, but there are previous few of the nature you describe playing League 2 football. I'd be hard-pressed to name one.  Danny Mayor? Though he only scored 1 last year.

Did Worrall only get 4 assists last year? I bet Gibbo got that many as well from full back. That’s the combination i would like to see back, Gibbo and Worrall. 

We all love these stats as Vale fans, stats for a future manager, stats for our players, Inever pay any attention for these.  We can also see by performances on the pitch how a player is performing not by looking at stats.  Someone will knock a hopeful ball into the box or knock a simple 5 yard pass  and we score, they get an assist, someone beats 2 or 3 players lays it on a plate, then our so called striker miss the target, nothing.  I know Amoo got no where near Worrall for assists last year but felt his delivery was to a similar level.

53 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Did Worrall only get 4 assists last year? I bet Gibbo got that many as well from full back. That’s the combination i would like to see back, Gibbo and Worrall. 

4 goals 11 assists in 34 league games. This year 2 goals and 8 assists from 18 league games. Good record that and the stats don't lie. To not play Worrall when he's available would be ludicrous. 

On 01/01/2021 at 08:14, Walter said:

...Pope is 35 or whatever and this season its showing. (Hes still our best striker mind)...

Not sure why this opinion keeps cropping up, when faced with stats, facts and visual evidence to the contrary? Not knocking his past achievements with the Vale...but that's exactly what they are...past!

As for the subjects of this thread - if either/both of them plays and has a good game, it would seem to give credence to there having been off-pitch problems?

On performances this season: for goal-scoring, Rodney definitely is...and will improve with experience and confidence. For contributions to the team's goal-scoring, Worrall clearly has contributed to more goals than Pope. And, I suspect, if he hadn't been so stricken with injuries, this time round, Cullen possibly would have been?  All of which just confirms that we need a more prolific striker, but can no longer count on Tom Pope! 

Like I've said before - not knocking Tom's achievements for this club...he has earned the tag "Legend"...but I don't see him contributing that much now? Is my opinion.

53 minutes ago, ginge said:

4 goals 11 assists in 34 league games. This year 2 goals and 8 assists from 18 league games. Good record that and the stats don't lie. To not play Worrall when he's available would be ludicrous. 

Ah ok I thought you meant assists not goals.

Archived