onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

McKirdy & Robinson...Goodbye ?

blackdog

9 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Everyone’s an expert with hindsight. I don’t remember anyone criticising either signing at the time but now there’s plenty who are.

Neither has worked out so we need to move on.

You dont have to remember as its all written down on this very forum 

Advert

5 hours ago, valiantastic said:

word is Rudgey is mates with Mckirdys grandad and plays golf with him, that is who wanted Harry at the club and the signing was taken out of Askey’s hands when at the time we also had Joel Grant on trial at the same time. Harry was offered a contract and Grant ended up at Swindon. also believe Grant has a wife who lives in the area so it would’ve been very ideal for him to join the club. He obviously got a better deal because he’s now playing in league 1 

This isn't far off the truth at all. 

21 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Robinson, worst striker I’ve seen for vale

Blimey @valiant_593 that's a bit of a sweeping statement. Are you sure that's not a bit of an over reaction?

Robinson has 4 goals in 9 starts and while not setting the world on fire when he played, I thought he was alright. Nowt special but I've seen a LOT worse...

I give you... Kevin Gall, Martin Henderson, Danny Glover (and quite a few more if you want them!)

7 minutes ago, robf said:

For me the McKirdy one is simple. Alex Hurst has now barged into the first-team picture which wasn't the case when McKirdy was signed. Hurst offers more discipline tracking back and more of a threat out wide then McKirdy. Vale have a squad limit and with Worrall, Amoo, Montano, Hurst and McKirdy they have five wingers but only need four. So McKirdy is no longer needed due to Hurst's emergence and the squad limits on numbers.

I'm bemused by Robinson and it shows why I am no football manager. I genuinely thought it was a good, solid signing by Vale in the summer but it clearly hasn't worked. At least John Askey is showing some positive intent by acknowledging it hasn't worked and looking to move him on ASAP.

we never needed Mckirdy, Hurst was the answer, otherwise why sign him. Re Theo again we signed Rodney who has shown great potential. What we do need is to recruit to replace Leon, Joyce, Pope and Brown at some point they wont be able to play due to there walking sticks. That is not to say that they are great Port Vale footballers and have always given everything. One thing I am sure of is that those 4 will give everything for us.

If we had signed a striker with 18 goals in his last 44 League Two games, what other fanbase would be moaning before he's kicked a ball?

It hasn't worked out, as is the case in football sometimes.

Shame Holloway isn't still the Grimsby manager as he might take him off our hands!

Where do we replace him though?! 

Just now, ginginator said:

What we do need is to recruit to replace Leon, Joyce, Pope and Brown at some point they wont be able to play due to there walking sticks. That is not to say that they are great Port Vale footballers and have always given everything. One thing I am sure of is that those 4 will give everything for us.

Great minds @ginginator  -  you may want to read the "Rebuilding the spine" part of this article which has just gone on the front page - https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2020/12/five-thoughts-following-port-vales-draw-barrow/

2 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Askey is a big fan of Kurtis Guthrie isn't he? With McCall leaving and Guthrie not in the side would they maybe do a similar thing to what we've done with Robinson and make Guthrie available. I bet Askey would be interested if that did happen.

4 minutes ago, robf said:

Askey is a big fan of Kurtis Guthrie isn't he? With McCall leaving and Guthrie not in the side would they maybe do a similar thing to what we've done with Robinson and make Guthrie available. I bet Askey would be interested if that did happen.

Ricky Miller was available but he cannot sign due to his new contract 😁😁 No offence Ricky. I would sign Diego De Girolamo from Buxton because I like his name. 

27 minutes ago, robf said:

Blimey @valiant_593 that's a bit of a sweeping statement. Are you sure that's not a bit of an over reaction?

Robinson has 4 goals in 9 starts and while not setting the world on fire when he played, I thought he was alright. Nowt special but I've seen a LOT worse...

I give you... Kevin Gall, Martin Henderson, Danny Glover (and quite a few more if you want them!)

Think he’s worse. He’s had two goes of it and been dreadful in both. 

How many league goals has he got this season for us? Not interested in that tin pot trophy against under 23 sides. 

Robinson - 3 in 27 league games for us. 
gall only played a handful of games I think and wasn’t just a striker. Granted he wasn’t great but we were dreadful at the time. Everyone is constantly praising how strong our squad apparently is this time. 
glover - yeah awful but he at least put a bit of effort it. 

Robinson has had two goes at it. Admitted himself he was no good first time round and would show us the real Robinson this time. Well we have seen it. Tripe. I don’t think it’s an overreaction at all for a footballer who Dosent score, Dosent hold the ball up Dosent assist (I have no idea what he actually does) oh and is as lazy a player as I’ve seen. I just hope a club has a manager as naive as askey that wants to sign him and mckirdy. 

27 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

If we had signed a striker with 18 goals in his last 44 League Two games, what other fanbase would be moaning before he's kicked a ball?

It hasn't worked out, as is the case in football sometimes.

Shame Holloway isn't still the Grimsby manager as he might take him off our hands!

The issue was that he had already played for us and was atrocious. We remembered how poor he was first time around and it’s been proven right. 

Re Askey’s signings. Like all managers, including the great ones, he’s signed some rubbish but this complaint that he’s ONLY signed rubbish is unfair. Our front three last night are all decent players and are all Askey signings. Two of our back four that kept the clean sheet are Askey signings. And I reckon we have the best reserve keeper in the League. Yes he’s signed some failures but he’s signed some decent lads as well. Don’t forget he signed Richie Bennett and we got money for him!!

14 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Think he’s worse. He’s had two goes of it and been dreadful in both. 

How many league goals has he got this season for us? Not interested in that tin pot trophy against under 23 sides. 

Robinson - 3 in 27 league games for us. 
gall only played a handful of games I think and wasn’t just a striker. Granted he wasn’t great but we were dreadful at the time. Everyone is constantly praising how strong our squad apparently is this time. 
glover - yeah awful but he at least put a bit of effort it. 

Robinson has had two goes at it. Admitted himself he was no good first time round and would show us the real Robinson this time. Well we have seen it. Tripe. I don’t think it’s an overreaction at all for a footballer who Dosent score, Dosent hold the ball up Dosent assist (I have no idea what he actually does) oh and is as lazy a player as I’ve seen. I just hope a club has a manager as naive as askey that wants to sign him and mckirdy. 

We'll have to beg to differ on this. I don't see the 'lazy' criticism. I thought he scored a quality goal in his first spell (not much else but that goal was top class) and his finishes this season have been OK. That's not to say he's the best striker ever, I am not bigging him up but I just don't see him as markedly worse than the other strikers this season. Rodney apart, the other three haven't impressed me but I don't get the singling Robinson out for criticism.

I think  3 in 27 League games is misleading because a lot of those are sub appearances. If he's getting 5/10 minutes here and there then it's not likely his goalscoring record is going to look great. This season he has made numerous league appearances from the subs bench His first three League appearances totalled 15 minutes of action yet to some that equals three games and no goals.

He's scored one league goal in 593 minutes of action (or six 90 minute games) but as that 593 minutes has been spread over 13 appearances he's never had that run of 90 minutes and has often come on as sub, had to adjust to the game and so on. Three of his four goals came when he started a game which perhaps shows what a run of games can do. After all, we are seeing what a run of starts has done for Rodney's form. Could a run for Robinson have helped him in a similar way?

I'm not saying I think he works for us (and I hold my hand up cos I thought he was a good signing) but I personally don't see the "lazy" characterisation. I bet anyone who saw Martin Henderson would say that was a "lazy" striker and Henderson couldn't even be bothered to turn up to training. At least Robinson is professional, fit and tries to perform.

Not sure I agree re being fit. When he has started he’s looked knackered after 60 mins.

didn’t see Henderson play so can’t comment.

Only thing i will say Re starts is that there is a reason why Robinson has only been getting 5/10 mins. 

Very happy he’s being moved on, hopefully we can get someone decent in 

Just now, valiant_593 said:

Not sure I agree re being fit. When he has started he’s looked knackered after 60 mins.

didn’t see Henderson play so can’t comment.

Only thing i will say Re starts is that there is a reason why Robinson has only been getting 5/10 mins. 

Very happy he’s being moved on, hopefully we can get someone decent in 

But playing devil's advocate it's a chicken and egg situation... 

Move One: Robinson was loaned to us to get match fitness so he was never going to be fully fit. He then gets criticised by fans as he's off the pace (i.e. not match fit)

Move Two: Robinson doesn't get any game time and no run in the team so you say he looks "knackered" - which again is because he isn't match fit

However... last season he got a whole run of games at another League Two side - Colchester. He made nineteen STARTS and ended up with eleven goals. I'd argue that the regular starts (compared to the number of sub apperances while at Vale) helped make him match fit and when match fit he proved himself a goal threat.

Archived