onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Boardroom Capers?

geoff1

Advert

15 hours ago, Vital Spark said:

I’m puzzled as to why all of a sudden the inadequacies of the manager have now become an all-out assault on the owners.

There's a correlation between poor performances on the pitch and anti-owner sentiments. back in he good old days I asked the question many times about why  Smurf was at fault for defenders being unable to defend, or strikers being unable to score etc. The levels went up after bad results and down after good results. Some tried to justify it by saying the owner is ultimately responsible, many never gave an answer.

I was ultimately wrong about Smurthwaite, as ive said many times now, before anyone starts. But I was right about the correlation, I think that's partly why i became so entrenched in my position years ago - because i felt that this particular criticism was unfair but didn't understand at the time that this didn't mean that the rest of it was unfair as well. 

The current owners are not responsible for Nathan Smith's attempted clearance or Mills' positioning, Joyce's red card or any other individual mistakes. They're responsible for creating an atmosphere off the pitch which will allow the playing staff to succeed on it. Smurf didn't do that (and again, for anyone who is struggling, I didn't see that at the time and I was wrong about that) but I think Carol is passing that part with flying colours.

She is responsible for the Manager's performances - not the players, that's my view. If they sack a manager too early or too late - then criticism of their decisions is fair game. Same if there is anything in the Sinclair rumours - the buck stops with the person who is responsible for hiring/firing him if he is causing issues.

7 minutes ago, mbycars said:

SO if we have the maximum allowed budget of 1.5 million, you are saying Morecombe have a budget of £375,00 you are talking complete b*ll*cks

The Salary Cap isn't really in action yet, as pre-existing contracts only count up to the divisional average (so Worrall, who will be on well above the league average and signed a deal prior to the salary cap agreement, won't have all his wages count towards the cap). Our wage budget is still probably in excess of £1.5m.

I think, despite whatever claims people have made regarding the budget, the squad should be doing much better. Whilst Morecambe won't have 4x less than our budget, I imagine that they and Cheltenham will be paying their players less (purely based on their average attendances in normal times) and therefore, instead of complaining, have circumvented that hindrance with good management.

We seem unable to do so at present, which has led some fans down the cognitive path of 'we must therefore accept mid-table if our budget is mid-table', which really begs the question as to what the point of all this is, if our budget is never going to be top 3 in this league?

The most important question about all this, is does the business have a plan? And does everyone from top to bottom know what it is, and buy into it?
The what follows from that, is the need to communicate that plan to “stakeholders”. That’s where fans come in.
How do we know, if all we hear about is the (excellent) charitable work being done?

24 minutes ago, mbycars said:

SO if we have the maximum allowed budget of 1.5 million, you are saying Morecombe have a budget of £375,00 you are talking complete b*ll*cks

I think their budget is the lowest in the league(although southend and stevenage maybe barrow will be there or there abouts) but it is a lot more than 375k yes.

People wont believe but we could afford a bigger budget hence us not wanting the cap

38 minutes ago, Joe B said:

The Salary Cap isn't really in action yet, as pre-existing contracts only count up to the divisional average (so Worrall, who will be on well above the league average and signed a deal prior to the salary cap agreement, won't have all his wages count towards the cap). Our wage budget is still probably in excess of £1.5m.

I think, despite whatever claims people have made regarding the budget, the squad should be doing much better. Whilst Morecambe won't have 4x less than our budget, I imagine that they and Cheltenham will be paying their players less (purely based on their average attendances in normal times) and therefore, instead of complaining, have circumvented that hindrance with good management.

We seem unable to do so at present, which has led some fans down the cognitive path of 'we must therefore accept mid-table if our budget is mid-table', which really begs the question as to what the point of all this is, if our budget is never going to be top 3 in this league?

Our budget will never be top 3, never has been, possibly not even top 7 but good management is worth far more than a huge budget.

Spending the budget is the skill. Do we need 22 players of so called league experience ? It does seem a lot. Admittedly injuries are so unpredictable but i believe a couple more young, untried players and cheap, should be included in the squad. We dont have our own youth players ready to fill some of these positions, other clubs seem to do this.

This season we kept hold of a lot of players, some on very good money for us and i believe Askey then spent the rest on trying to get a balanced squad to cover all areas when we really needed better competition for the first 11. Easy in hindsight but i feel Askey has failed here. He may never have expected to be playing so many squad players at one time. But why Pope, Cullen, Rodney and then Robinson to follow when we play one up front. Complete waste.

As players contracts are up it becomes a different position to be in. Pope for instance will probably be offered a contract of half this seasons, if offered one at all, giving more money to spread around. Cullen, Manny, massive questions to be answered. 

Not convinced that Askey is the man to answer these questions.

18 hours ago, Platty's Tassels said:

Morcambe are 5th. Yes 5th on a quarter of our budget ..think about that

What's to think about?  Budgets means jack <ovf censored>.

Edit: ......and if it's all about budgets I guess you'll be happy with a mid table finish, which is roughly where our budget puts us.

5 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Our budget will never be top 3, never has been, possibly not even top 7 but good management is worth far more than a huge budget.

Spending the budget is the skill. Do we need 22 players of so called league experience ? It does seem a lot. Admittedly injuries are so unpredictable but i believe a couple more young, untried players and cheap, should be included in the squad. We dont have our own youth players ready to fill some of these positions, other clubs seem to do this.

Well we have three youth-team players with 0 senior appearances between them on the bench tonight so it would seem Askey changed his mind on wanting a big squad of experienced players 

17 hours ago, Wrex said:

Well we have three youth-team players with 0 senior appearances between them on the bench tonight so it would seem Askey changed his mind on wanting a big squad of experienced players 

Not sure what you mean there. All L2 clubs are limited to 22 squad players above the age of 21. Last night we had 6 or 7 players out injured or isolating. We have 3 more who won't play again for the club. He had to bring those youngsters in as there was no one else.

Archived