onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Time for the club to make a statement !

Gareths54

The social media sites blocking fans is a very much Smurf/mode 2001 move.
I'm grateful and always will be for Carol saving the club and everything she and the team have done behind the scenes but the silence from the club is alarming. 
Social media side has massively dropped since max left as well 
Will we still be grateful if we drop out the league because that's about to happen at this rate

Advert

17 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

I'm not criticising Carol in any of this, but if/when we lose Tuesday at some point the board are gonna have to say something surely? Fans will continue to get wound up and voice their opinion and rumours/finger pointing will only increase. 

Perhaps a meeting via zoom or Skype with the vale supporters club after the new year is possible? That way vale fans can get their opinion voiced in a proper manner 

I do think greater communication with the Supporters Club is paramount.

In an age of instant and pervasive communication, the Supporters Club should serve as a steady conduit to ensure that fans views are relayed to the club without this circus we've got currently, we've rumours all over the show and a fan being blocked from the twitter account.

I would be in favour of an online Supporters Club meeting in the New Year. 

3 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I don’t think any club should be issuing statements when they’re on a bad run. It’s just undermining the manager even more and as previously mentioned on another thread it’s the dreaded vote of confidence. By making statements they’re just opening themselves up for even more criticism from fans. Best to keep their mouths shut and get on with it. 

Totally agree that the Club should keep quiet at the moment.  They will be speaking to JA and CO about this run and how they can help him no doubt.  Hopefully they will be looking at managers out there and carrying out a risk assessment of keeping JA and CO, letting him and his staff go and what the financial impact this will have. They will know what funds are available and what they can and can't do financially.  Hopefully Colin will be advising them and not letting his friendship with JA cloud his views.

As you say making a statement will open them up to more verbal, email attacks which has happened by the looks of it from the trolls and keyboard warriors.  

21 minutes ago, Bradwell Exile said:

Thanks for the comments Joe, allow me to respond.

I don’t think I’ve asserted anything without evidence, I’m literally calling things as I interpret them and it’s absolutely your place to take a different position.

I think the world and his wife have heard the rumours that there’s a rift between Askey and Sinclair, and to me if that is the case, it’s extremely worrying. As I said, it’s rumour and the nosey bugger in me would love to know who it was who brought Sinclair in. My opinion is that there has been a significant decline in fortunes on the field since Sinclair came in.

The comments regarding Carol were not disparaging, and if that how they came across then I must add it certainly wasn’t my intention. My main point on this, is that this is all of the communication that we get out of the football club. We get very little regarding the first team, youth teams, ladies team, commercial department, I could go on and on. Martin Tideswell was brought in to address this and I don’t know how/if he’s improved things? My opinion is that he hasn’t up to now.

The list of staff employed by the football club, listed on the clubs website tells me that theres been major changes behind the scenes. That’s not unsubstantiated rumour, that’s a stone cold fact. A lot of these could well be for the better for club and people involved. It does tell me though, again in my opinion, a mini revolution is happening, and time will tell if the owners vision comes to fruition.

I could be wrong, I hope I’m wrong, on a lot of these things, I’m just voicing my opinion on this forum, and have stated each time that it’s my opinion, and I believe that a few other share some of that. Others take your stance Joe, and that’s fine. Good to have the debate without getting defensive and offensive, and that’s what I want to bring up. I have an opinion, some may agree, some may disagree like yourself. Football creates debate.

There has been huge change because lots of Synectics now work primarily for the Vale.

One of my best mates wife has been furloughed by Synectics for months on end and now made redundant. She was in catering. Lots of the catering staff have been seconded to Vale and asked to work Christmas day and Boxing Day. 

A business woman/man in the main have to make horrible decisions and be ruthless. It's par for the course.

That is why if she wants to sack Askey she will 

There has been huge change because lots of Synectics now work primarily for the Vale.
One of my best mates wife has been furloughed by Synectics for months on end and now made redundant. She was in catering. Lots of the catering staff have been seconded to Vale and asked to work Christmas day and Boxing Day. 
A business woman/man in the main have to make horrible decisions and be ruthless. It's par for the course.
That is why if she wants to sack Askey she will 

That’s fantastic insight into what’s going on behind the scenes and substantiates what I thought was happening, to a degree. Great post!

6 minutes ago, Bradwell Exile said:

That’s fantastic insight into what’s going on behind the scenes and substantiates what I thought was happening, to a degree. Great post!

And I assure you 100% none of it is rumour. My mates wife is obviously upset but Synectics made the furlough up to 100% pay to their credit. 

But quite a number of catering now are employed by Synectics but work at the Vale. 

Never spoken to Carol, end of the day why would I , but I've no doubt she's a very nice amiable woman but to be the success she is she won't take fools lightly and has made hard decisions in business. 

My only concern and this isn't a pop at her is for example ( and I know we've no chance ) but does she know who Parkinson is or The Cowley sisters or Derek Adams . I imagine that would be where she places her trust in Garlick and Rudgie. 

I accept that some here argue that the club should keep quiet. But communication is not just about what you do and say in public. We have all witnessed the wonderful work the Port Vale Foundation has done. That deserves all the accolades received. We are, most of us, thankful to have decent people owning the club, who have expressed a desire to take us forward.

But we all knew, in the back of our minds, that one day things would get tough. When the team wins, we are sky high. When we lose, it makes for a depressing week ahead. In a situation where we go from being promotion contenders, to being dumped out at VP by a non-league team and failing to get more than a handful of points from the next ten games, patience quickly wears thin. Football fans are fickle. We want to see our team winning.

Those that dismiss the entire squad as being useless are not worthy of mention. The team has a core of good players, some of whom we accept are sidelined. That is a test of the manager, coaches, and the squad. It seems our squad does not have enough strength in depth.

The club need something positive to say. Not a defence of the manager, or a response to criticism, so much as a statement of what they are going to do, as a club and board of directors, to address the freefall. Like making a signing or two (we can surely start to do that even if players cannot be picked until January?). Something positive needs to come out, to address the negativity, not to simply acknowledge it.

The club also needs to improve their relationship with supporters groups, not least of all the Official Supporters Club. I will leave them to comment in more detail.

Otherwise, the season ticket holders in particular will start to get very angry, or should I say, even more angry. And the time when the club needs to start talking about next season will soon be here.

Whatever they could say they are going to do to address the recent run of results is something that they could never guarantee would work anyway. So why bother? Football is a game of ups and downs, usually more down than Up, but the sense of entitlement that some fans have beggars belief. There will always be fans unhappy with something no matter what the situation. 

12 minutes ago, Tone said:

I accept that some here argue that the club should keep quiet. But communication is not just about what you do and say in public. We have all witnessed the wonderful work the Port Vale Foundation has done. That deserves all the accolades received. We are, most of us, thankful to have decent people owning the club, who have expressed a desire to take us forward.

But we all knew, in the back of our minds, that one day things would get tough. When the team wins, we are sky high. When we lose, it makes for a depressing week ahead. In a situation where we go from being promotion contenders, to being dumped out at VP by a non-league team and failing to get more than a handful of points from the next ten games, patience quickly wears thin. Football fans are fickle. We want to see our team winning.

Those that dismiss the entire squad as being useless are not worthy of mention. The team has a core of good players, some of whom we accept are sidelined. That is a test of the manager, coaches, and the squad. It seems our squad does not have enough strength in depth.

The club need something positive to say. Not a defence of the manager, or a response to criticism, so much as a statement of what they are going to do, as a club and board of directors, to address the freefall. Like making a signing or two (we can surely start to do that even if players cannot be picked until January?). Something positive needs to come out, to address the negativity, not to simply acknowledge it.

The club also needs to improve their relationship with supporters groups, not least of all the Official Supporters Club. I will leave them to comment in more detail.

Otherwise, the season ticket holders in particular will start to get very angry, or should I say, even more angry. And the time when the club needs to start talking about next season will soon be here.

How can you sign a player before the window opens.

Looking at his previous signings if you held the purse strings are you saying you’d trust Ja’s judgement based on all the ones he’s signed previously.?

If MT has done this blocking using the club account then he needs a word in his ear. Stuff like that needs leadership decisions from the owners and then discussed with the Supporters Club (remember them?). I can’t have a bad word said about the owners and I know that they’ll act when they believe the time is right , which maybe now, but I’m prepared to wait for something to come out of the club. As for Sinclair, again he’s gone quiet on Twitter, and I just don’t get what he does? 

By not saying anything the club are doing something.

Personally, I am very pleased we have a club being run professionally, has a 5 star rating for work in the Community.

Investing in the Academy, great to see another youngster on the bench last match.

Has, without fuss, overhauled the non footballing staff and created a quality working environment.

Above all else clearly has a forward plan.

Top quality Carol,

Let's just see what the future brings, the club is in the best hands it's ever been

15 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Personally, I am very pleased we have a club being run professionally, has a 5 star rating for work in the Community.

Investing in the Academy, great to see another youngster on the bench last match.

Has, without fuss, overhauled the non footballing staff and created a quality working environment.

Top quality Carol,

Let's just see what the future brings, the club is in the best hands it's ever been

Don't think many are against Carol in this and obviously are very happy how we've come. 

However football is a results business and surely the customers (fans) would be updated with some sort of statement or even a message to help cool emotions. How many are gonna renew season tickets next season or carry on paying for ifollow to watch this drivel every week ? 

I completely get the situation with the pandemic but even off the pitch, social media and communications have been terrible as of late. I can't even remember the last time Garlick or someone else had spoke to the supporters club.

50 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Top quality Carol,

But on the pitch we’re no better off where it matters most to 4;000 of us on a Saturday afternoon. 

1 hour ago, Tone said:

Yes, doesn't seem to be a great deal of engagement at present, considering how important the Supporters Club could be at a time when the fans can't assemble biweekly at Vale Park. 

The new owners have, by and large, done very well and at the start of the season had a lot of credit in the bank. However that's not to say they won't make (or haven't already made) mistakes here and there. 

The core business of the football club is to win football matches. There has been a lot of commendable other stuff going on but that won't make up for the bread and butter being stale. If things aren't right on the pitch, they're not right anywhere.

Nobody is turning against the new owners but the honeymoon period is over. I said a few weeks ago on here that this season was turning into the difficult second album for the Shanahans.

Tone makes some good points. From what I've been hearing some of the lines of communication (ironically) have been strained since the summer.

The supporters should feel fortunate to have the owners, but equally the owners should feel fortunate to have the supporters: 4000 paying season ticket holders, many of whom have paid £300 up front for a disappointing streaming platform, are feeling helpless and frustrated, and need a bit of goodwill and engagement.

Archived