onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Bradford City v Port Vale

Fosse69

7 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

After the recent poor performances I’ll happily take that point. Given the amount of first team players missing I didn’t think this was a game for us to go gung ho for the 3 points, I think we needed to grind something out, besides with the players available there was no chance of seeing us really going for it anyway because we don’t have that spark when we’re missing players like Worrall, Monty, Gibbo, Conlon and manny. We have to get ourselves back on an even keel somehow and this is just the start of that. 

It’s interesting to read the many posts quoting our recent record of 1 win in 11 and whatever points we’ve amassed in that time, which all means that Askey must go and that dominates some people’s opinions at the moment. But what if he turns it around? At some point that poor run becomes just another statistic, but is he done now in people’s minds because of that run? If he stays when does that run become a memory or is it a millstone round his neck now? 

100% done for me. And was after the Stevenage game. No faith that he will turn this around. Don’t want him to stay, us finish around where we are and waste another transfer window. He will stay though and probably sign some more squad players. I just can’t see him turning this around to be forgiven for this, the league is woeful this season and we’ve been dreadful at times. People kept saying see where we are and we’re dropping rapidly. 

brown, aspin, gannon ect all could have turned it around. So could the numerous other managers that have been sacked. He needs to go. He dosent deserve any more time to try and turn this mess around 

Advert

Im seeing so many people posting about people turning on carol and co and that is simply not the case. We are forever indebted to carol for saving our wonderful club and that will never change however because of this does not mean that we as fans have to agree with every decision and action they make regarding the club. Not many chairmans of clubs would still be backing the manager if not have already fired them by now if they were in our position and any fan has the right to question the decision carol is making by sticking by him because it does seem odd how they are happy to settle for this dismal management when the aim is promotion. We all want to see the club going forward and at the moment it is going backwards. and we as fans want answers for this as it was carol herself who has set this season up to be a promotion challenge and we're falling way short of this before the half way point. We have all thrown in our hard earned money to try and support this goal with season tickets sales and record shirt sales in the crazy year so i think as fans we have the right to question what is going on at the moment. You can question carols decision making without turning on her. 

askeys post match interview the way hes smiling is like weve just won 5 on the trott but weve just had a 0-0 draw in a dreadful game which yes is an improvement but the aim of promotion it is again another shocking performance weve had about 3 shots on target in the last 2 games agaisnt two sides that are close to the bottom of the english football league. 

with askey remaining in charge i dont see things improving and carol can either answer critics by getting rid. Or if we are sticking with him its a massive transfer window for us and id like to see some intent by doing some good business early nothing rushed nothing last minute some good solid business bringing in proven quality and with the standard of this league i believe anyone can string together results with some quality in the team so the season is not wrote off yet. 

its going to be a interesting month for vale im just praying we can turn it round with everything thats going on in the world it would be even more sweet if we could even put a challenge together for the playoffs even if we do fall just short having something to cheer about is all we can ask for as fans. 

a run of results is all we need go 5-6 games unbeaten and could he a whole new story i have been one of the most negative people on here recently but im trying to find a tiny bit of positivity and trying to keep the faith 

UTV

Also askey saying Robinson and mckirdy can leave in jan is just more proof of how bad our windows have been and how bad askey is in the transfer market. You couldn’t have made two worse signings!!! Last time I take <ovf censored> on here of posters for saying a signing is bad!! 
Theo Robinson was up there with Kyle Perry for the worst striker I had seen play for vale in his first spell. He’s now topped that in his second. Waste of space and delighted he won’t play for us again. 

6 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Also askey saying Robinson and mckirdy can leave in jan is just more proof of how bad our windows have been and how bad askey is in the transfer market. You couldn’t have made two worse signings!!! Last time I take <ovf censored> on here of posters for saying a signing is bad!! 
Theo Robinson was up there with Kyle Perry for the worst striker I had seen play for vale in his first spell. He’s now topped that in his second. Waste of space and delighted he won’t play for us again. 

Yeah, was a lot of falling out when people suggested Robinson probably wasn't good enough to be our main man.

People pointing to Maynard's poor goalscoring record so far this season may want to avert their eyes come January. 

13 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I don't understand this argument.

'If he turns it around, then what?'. You could have said the same about Neil Aspin or Michael Brown. You may as well never, ever sack a manager because there is a potential that they turn it around. 

If this run prevents us from finishing in the top 7, the pre-season aim, then yes; it should be held against him. This run has resulted in him underdelivering. It also raises questions about future suitability for the job.

You can't bang on about the 8 game run and the playoffs in March and then pretend this shambles of a sequence doesn't exist. 

I’m not arguing anything for him to stay or go, I didn’t mention play offs, I’m just simply asking a question with no agenda.

Personally I think there’s  every chance that carol won’t get rid of him, so if he stays the  there’s the possibility he MAY turn it around when our main players are back fit and he ships out those he doesn’t want. If we went on a good run does that mean the last couple of months are forgotten about or will it forever be held against him in the eyes of some fans? Or does all that depend on where we finish?

It’s rare in football that a manager goes on a such bad run and gets away with his job and goes on to redeem himself.  FWIW I think we’re fast running out of time to act and maybe have even waited too long. 

31 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Yeah, was a lot of falling out when people suggested Robinson probably wasn't good enough to be our main man.

People pointing to Maynard's poor goalscoring record so far this season may want to avert their eyes come January. 

I may be wrong, but my own feelings are, and were at the time, that Robinson was 100% a stop gap signing.  Probably viewed as being the best of what was left after we'd failed to woo Maynard, and one or two others.  The overall feeling amongst fans being that we needed someone to replace our ageing talisman with a younger, more mobile "big" hold up player.

Are there whispers regarding Maynard Joe?  If so have to say not for me.  Not in Askeys 433.

Not sure Maynard will be an improvement playing only one up top. Don’t think that’s his game at all but happy to be proved wrong. 

Interestingly, no Guthrie in Bradford’s squad tonight. He has the right attributes to play the lone striker role and at 27 is a better age. Is he prolific enough though...probably not.

6 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I may be wrong, but my own feelings are, and were at the time, that Robinson was 100% a stop gap signing.  Probably viewed as being the best of what was left after we'd failed to woo Maynard, and one or two others.  The overall feeling amongst fans being that we needed someone to replace our ageing talisman with a younger, more mobile "big" hold up player.

Are there whispers regarding Maynard Joe?  If so have to say not for me.  Not in Askeys 433.

I think you are right Ray. What concerns me with this debacle though is that he has a 2 year deal. Who on earth sanctioned that.

Not many suitors are going to be banging our doors down or he wouldn't of been available so late in the day. That means financial implications if we want rid. 

Based on his Colchester record I welcomed him as a chance signing after the Maynard balls up. However even then one year was ample. 

You could argue that he wouldn't of signed then, so be it.

Who on earth ratified a 2 year deal for him and we are now left carrying a rotting carcass 

I don't understand this argument.
'If he turns it around, then what?'. You could have said the same about Neil Aspin or Michael Brown. You may as well never, ever sack a manager because there is a potential that they turn it around. 
If this run prevents us from finishing in the top 7, the pre-season aim, then yes; it should be held against him. This run has resulted in him underdelivering. It also raises questions about future suitability for the job.
You can't bang on about the 8 game run and the playoffs in March and then pretend this shambles of a sequence doesn't exist. 

Askey is capable of turning it around, returning players who are key to the team and potentially a new signing or 2 in January.

Brown and Aspin never even showed a glimpse they could. Under aspin the football was always awful and brown was just chaotic with the signings to the point where he’d signed so many loan players they couldn’t be played.

I’m disappointed in this season and certain decisions and signings that just haven’t come off. We gambled on Mckirdy and he’s clearly let himself and the club down

Theo could have had a good season like last year .. he simply hasn’t.

Big clear out next year needed . That maybe with a new manager.

What a mid season change would bring , with few options to change up players and staff I’m not sure.

44 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

Askey is capable of turning it around, returning players who are key to the team and potentially a new signing or 2 in January.

Brown and Aspin never even showed a glimpse they could. Under aspin the football was always awful and brown was just chaotic with the signings to the point where he’d signed so many loan players they couldn’t be played.

I’m disappointed in this season and certain decisions and signings that just haven’t come off. We gambled on Mckirdy and he’s clearly let himself and the club down

What a mid season change would bring , with few options to change up players and staff I’m not sure.

Askey has showed absolutely nothing to turn this around. It’s his mess. It’s as bad as brown and aspin, why does he deserve longer? At least aspin signed a few half decent players. 

Let’s keep askey. Keep falling down the league and then have a clear out (again) of all his rubbish signings and then let him sign some more and repeat. We are going backwards not forwards 

45 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

You conveniently forget both Aspin and Brown  worked under a terrible chairman and both would have done better with the support Askey has received under the Shanahans. We  can thank Aspin for assembling most of the better players at the club which Askey has relied on rather than the 21 poor signings he’s made himself !

You conveniently forget both Aspin and Brown  worked under a terrible chairman and both would have done better with the support Askey has received under the Shanahans. We  can thank Aspin for assembling most of the better players at the club which Askey has relied on rather than the 21 poor signings he’s made himself !

Awful chairman yes, but before he spat his dummy he also threw plenty of money at the playing side. Lots wasted particularly by brown and his bizarre loan signings.

Aspin to, had a healthy budget. Perhaps the only positive from a crazy ex chairman.

Some people will want a manger sacked as soon as results dip. It happened with rudge , page , and even Micky Adam’s

Sometimes it’s the right decision; end of an era etc.

This doesn’t feel that way,more just a poor run of results. The stability of the club would benefit from allowing Askey to see the season out.

14 hours ago, Doha said:

Here's the elephant in the room.

It wasn't as if we weren't moaning last season about the lack of plan B. And the bizarre approach to subs. And the poor signings.  But we went on a crazy run in the new year and the frustration was glossed over. Still grumbles now and then but Worrall/Amoo/Pope/Taylor was clicking enough to keep it from being too loud. Askey was incredibly fortunate to get hold of Taylor. 

Even if they avoid defeat tonight and he gets a few more games, does anyone truly believe Askey could going forward win an EFL promotion and actually perform to an acceptable standard in L1? 

I fear he's too technically limited. 

I agree with all of that i think BUT what i will say i have wanted him out after the last few games,i had fallen off the fence but i have just clambered back up on it for now as it's clear he wont be going yet so for me we should stop this having a pop at each other on here(i dont mean you Doha) and just back him and the team,we all want top 7 and we are 6 points off still(unbelievable after our run),if he has bad eggs then let him ship them out and see who he can bring in,do i trust him in the window not sure but we just got to see,one thing is for sure if we are able to get Taylor then he is a vast improvement on Whitehead.

Archived