onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Barrow

Fosse69

Another sub-standard player signed solely on the basis of being decent in 2017 in the division below, alongside Fitzpatrick, Lloyd, Evans, Kennedy, and Browne. 
We all knew Whitehead was rubbish, yet he gets a start yesterday, puts in that comical corner, and is removed at half time. Utter shambles.
The most shocking thing is he's here for 2 years

Advert

53 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

We have now arguably gone backwards since askey took charge in terms of squad strength and how we are playing at that takes some serious doing

Askey managed to keep us up with another mans team when he came in when we were heading one way and in free fall,last season was exceptional what he achieved,i have no doubt had the season finished we would of at least been in the play offs..... now for whatever reason as you say we have gone backwards at an alarming rate, Carol made sure the players and management team all got full money from March onwards,made sure when they came back they were looked after,gave imo Askey a decent budget to work with and this is how she has been repayed....yes i blame Askey and think he should go but watching those players play with a cant be arsed attitude then i think that is disgraceful on their part.

We can afford to finish Askey but as i have said in the past she likes him and they are close but my fear is that she is giving him the january window and waiting for wozza and manny to come back in the hope he turns it around,can he? i very much doubt it as those players didn't want to know yesterday

3 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Askey managed to keep us up with another mans team when he came in when we were heading one way and in free fall,last season was exceptional what he achieved,i have no doubt had the season finished we would of at least been in the play offs..... now for whatever reason as you say we have gone backwards at an alarming rate, Carol made sure the players and management team all got full money from March onwards,made sure when they came back they were looked after,gave imo Askey a decent budget to work with and this is how she has been repayed....yes i blame Askey and think he should go but watching those players play with a cant be arsed attitude then i think that is disgraceful on their part.

We can afford to finish Askey but as i have said in the past she likes him and they are close but my fear is that she is giving him the january window and waiting for wozza and manny to come back in the hope he turns it around,can he? i very much doubt it as those players didn't want to know yesterday

Decent post mate.

The last paragraph, sadly purely on the economics of it all Manny has to be freed at the end of the season whoever the manager is. We've hung our hat on him for far too long and he simply can't stay fit. 

Im sorry but that perfomance yesterday was not from a team playing for the manager once the manager loses the players there is only ever one viable outcome the manager has to go. 
the players are clearly not buying into the way he wants to play and all this about finances the clubs finances will be a whole lot worse if we go down to the national league so we need to give a new manager time to turn it around because he is inheriting a god awful squad so in no means do i think a manager will come in and we wilk start climbing the table because we wont . We are in a relegation scrap but atleast a new manager might have more chance of getting more than the players than what askey is currently getting 

I just don't get that line up yesterday. Granted non availability of the our best players, Conlon, Worrall, Oyeleke, Montano, Clark didn't help but why bring in Whitehead and Crookes. Both of these are not good enough for league 2. Add to that others that aren't up to it, Mills, Fitzpatrick, Burgess, Hurst, Pope (lost it now) and we basically turned out a reserve team.

Conclusions for me are that we don't have a squad strong enough to compete in this league never mind look at the playoffs. Is the manager to blame, yes of course. Its blindingly obvious to us which players can't hack it, how come JA can't see this. The players he's brought in are dire, fails to play the ones he's got in their best positions and has little motivational skills going on the effort and battling qualities that are sadly lacking currently.

Don't buy these rumours that players brought it were done so without JA's say so. Money must be the major issue, you get what you pay for. If it is this then we may not be able to get rid of the manager.

Very sad and frustrating for us all. We all just want a little bit of hope and success now and again. Maybe the Rudgie years have spoilt me although I do remember the dark days of the mid 70's. Even then though we had some characters and battlers in the team. What we would give now for a few Tommy Mclarens, Bernie Wright's and Ray William's.

There is quite clearly something wrong in the club. What that is is anyone’s guess which is why we are getting all the drivel rumours being spouted. For me there may be players that aren’t happy, I would hope they aren’t with what we have watched pretty much all season. The buck stops with one man though and that’s Askey. If players are disruptive then who sorts them out? If formations and tactics aren’t working, who sorts them out? Walsall changed four players the other day and completely changed the course of the game. Could anyone honestly say that we could have done that yesterday? If we had changed 4 we would have got exactly the same laboured performance. Why, because we would have kept the same tactics and formation. We are to rigid, we were with Aspin and are with Askey. If it works great but when it doesn’t we never deviate. Yesterday we all knew what was coming, a team that will set up to stay in the game. Look for a ball over the top to get in behind our defenders for pace and, should they get in front, hold on to what they have by wasting time and booting it anywhere to clear their lines. Didn’t even need a scout to tell us that. So why didn’t we manage to cope with it?  Why not try the element of surprise and change our shape 442,352. Actually go out against these kind of teams at home and try to win from the outset. Anyone saying they were poor is just sour grapes. I thought they executed their plan perfectly and unlike us professionally. 

Give Askey all the time you want and all the resources but he has an inability to react or god forbid anticipate what the opposition may do which to me is the biggest issue and will not change. 

There is nothing wrong with the club other than squad mismanagement. I've posted this before but the players are not motivated. Why? Because JA insisted on playing the same players, same tactics week in week out when we where on a horrendous losing run. JA never devised a plan b when needed and didn't give other players a chance to play a system which would suit them.

What is the point of being in a squad if you don't get a chance when the 1st eleven are playing crap and making mistakes? Some might say they haven't exactly done much when they have come on but that boat sailed along time ago because they know would not keep a place regardless. Sorry giving a player 15-10 mins at the end of game is not giving them a chance. Too many of our squad players look disinterested and who can blame them.

For me he lost his squad players during that losing run and is now paying the price. Yesterday it looked like confidence has completely drained away and we are in desperate need of a different voice and a plan b.

On the positive side I STILL believe with 2 or possibly 3 players AND a new manager we could challenge for the play offs. There is no good side in this league, its all much the same. It just about grinding results and we just need 2 or 3 wins on the bounce for it to change and I think it could snowball. 

The other major player in the manger decision will be Colin Garlick.

Carol trusts him as her “football guy” and one thing we know is that Colin is a huge fan of Askeys.

He will certainly be preaching that his man be given time and another transfer window to change things around.

16 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Carol trusts him as her “football guy” and one thing we know is that Colin is a huge fan of Askeys.

He will certainly be preaching that his man be given time and another transfer window to change things around.

I haven't actually thought of that one tbh but looking at it you might have something,how or why else would he still be there now

33 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

i would hope that she also has a word with the  President

1 hour ago, gags 64 said:

I just don't get that line up yesterday. Granted non availability of the our best players, Conlon, Worrall, Oyeleke, Montano, Clark didn't help but why bring in Whitehead and Crookes. Both of these are not good enough for league 2. Add to that others that aren't up to it, Mills, Fitzpatrick, Burgess, Hurst, Pope (lost it now) and we basically turned out a reserve team.

Conclusions for me are that we don't have a squad strong enough to compete in this league never mind look at the playoffs. Is the manager to blame, yes of course. Its blindingly obvious to us which players can't hack it, how come JA can't see this. The players he's brought in are dire, fails to play the ones he's got in their best positions and has little motivational skills going on the effort and battling qualities that are sadly lacking currently.

Don't buy these rumours that players brought it were done so without JA's say so. Money must be the major issue, you get what you pay for. If it is this then we may not be able to get rid of the manager.

Very sad and frustrating for us all. We all just want a little bit of hope and success now and again. Maybe the Rudgie years have spoilt me although I do remember the dark days of the mid 70's. Even then though we had some characters and battlers in the team. What we would give now for a few Tommy Mclarens, Bernie Wright's and Ray William's.

I disagree with your views on Hurst. Only his 4th league start, and he had a good first half. He’s been thrown into a struggling team and is showing promise. He’s been the only positive that’s come from the poor run of form. 

I disagree with your views on Hurst. Only his 4th league start, and he had a good first half. He’s been thrown into a struggling team and is showing promise. He’s been the only positive that’s come from the poor run of form. 
I wouldn't say he's the only positive. Rodney has started to show what he can do too.

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:
23 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

I wouldn't say he's the only positive. Rodney has started to show what he can do too.

I’d agree to an extent, but in terms of performances Hurst has edged him. Rodney didn’t look interested yesterday, and despite his goal at Walsall, he didn’t do an awful lot. But, I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. 

Archived