Manager Poll

Doha

Manager Poll  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Askey in/out

• In
    • Out

38 minutes ago, MBE said:

Every manager has a failed appointment at sometime otherwise they wouldn't be out of work. You have to look beyond stats and view the overall situation at clubs at what the manager was asked to do. 

Ipswich where asset stripping and cost cutting at the time, his hands where  very much tied behind his back. Scunthorpe was just a bad experience. All managers have them at one club or can another.

I disagree, he's had one good season at Shrewsbury, Sacked at Ipswich after 5 months, win ratio 6.7 and joined  Scunthorpe in May 19 sacked January 20 win ratio 31.6 his win ratio is not as good as Askeys and if I remember correctly he comes with a small army of back room staff, making him very expensive, so bullet dodged there.

Advert

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

Of the 4 promoted sides last season, 3 had managers who were in their first full season at their club. The only outlier was Artell who operates at a unique club in League 2, where he doesn't really need to recruit much.

Whilst I'm all for stability, there's not a great deal of evidence to suggest it's that important at this level, on both a managerial or player level. Continuity for continuity's sake is pointless. Continuity for the sake of maintaining an obvious upwards trend is to be encouraged, but we're in the same position today as we were 2 years ago with a much older first 11.

What is clearly more important is not 'keeping a manager in situ', but 'having a good manager'. 

My views on Askey are largely predicated on the axiom that, with an excellent Chairwoman and a good off the field setup, Port Vale could attract a better quality manager than him. I don't think he's as awful as some make out, but also think he is below what we could be enjoying, with serious flaws that he seems unable to shake. He's OK. 

As I've pointed out, if Morecambe can attract a manager of Adams' calibre, then I don't think it's that far of a leap to make the presupposition that we could attract a manager of a similar quality, who, in my view, would be better than Askey. 

I've accepted for a few weeks now that he's going nowhere, and that's fine, I guess; in my view it entails the conclusion of any promotion hopes we still harbour, but the times are strange and Carol knows far more than I do about the situation of the club. It's an interesting case study as it defies the orthodoxy of the lower leagues; Carol previously has spoken of her admiration for the Colchester chairman, who has stuck by managers more than most, as well as Accrington who are blessed with the best manager outside the Championship, so it will be interesting to see how much Askey can pull this around.

I do hope, if we're going for stability in the managerial department, we make the necessary adjustments in the recruitment department to avoid the continuation of the undisputedly sub-par signings we have been subjected to since May 2019. We were stagnant this summer, and clubs took advantage and overtook us. This can't happen again.

Pretty much spot on. 

Not sure what the full details were around the Adams appointment but as he'd been sacked by Plymouth, and was out of work at the same time as Morecambe parted company with Bentley, maybe it was just happy coincidence.  He was obviously happy enough to work for whatever Morecambe could offer.

56 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Won 1 game at Ipswich and also got beat by Exeter in the Cup.

Took 5 of 30 points in the opening 10 games in this division with Scunthorpe.  So your last sentence is not true is it.

His last 2 jobs indicate he cannot work within budgets but yeh, we should have moved heaven and earth for him because he is so much better than Askey 🙄

Quite the opposite. His time at Shrewsbury, Grimsby clearly shows he can work within a modest budget for the division.

Watch Grimsby under him, I bet they improve and pull away from the bottom of the table.

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

Won 1 game at Ipswich and also got beat by Exeter in the Cup.

Took 5 of 30 points in the opening 10 games in this division with Scunthorpe.  So your last sentence is not true is it.

His last 2 jobs indicate he cannot work within budgets but yeh, we should have moved heaven and earth for him because he is so much better than Askey 🙄

I didn't have Hurst on my list of possibles I'll be honest.

But our own Mickey Adams was sacked at Sheffield United after being abysmal, he came back here and got the job finished that he started before Gannon tore up the script. 

As often said on here nearly all managers have a big X against their name. 

Forgot his name but the Norwich manager was heavily criticised last season for being naive , top of the championship again after sticking with him. 

There are arguments for and against Askey . Obviously you are in the for camp , I was until a couple of weeks ago but now think he's had his time. 

5 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I didn't have Hurst on my list of possibles I'll be honest.

But our own Mickey Adams was sacked at Sheffield United after being abysmal, he came back here and got the job finished that he started before Gannon tore up the script. 

As often said on here nearly all managers have a big X against their name. 

Forgot his name but the Norwich manager was heavily criticised last season for being naive , top of the championship again after sticking with him. 

There are arguments for and against Askey . Obviously you are in the for camp , I was until a couple of weeks ago but now think he's had his time. 

Daniel Farke spent £1m on his squad last season so no surprise that they were relegated. Think how much money he’s made for the owners and as far as I’m aware he’s retained the majority of the squad if not all. 
I see the Motherwell manager has resigned, stating he’s taken them as far as he can. That’s unusual for a manager, they don’t normally jump off a cliff unless they’ve got a mattress to land on.

10 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

Just like Askey had no idea his Macc team would be so good that ONE season?

In a way, perhaps. The very big difference was that Askey's team won the title and by a long way. What happened to Hurst's side? Win it all, did they?

Carol has made her statement and we have to respect it. Onwards and upwards with Askey.

Ole and Manchester United seemed to be a dead man walking but now they are second in the Premier League. So you don't have to change your manager to see an improvement.

We can't change things now so we might as well get behind him. Things have to improve though as key players come back, but if we do genuinely get drawn into a relegation battle then I trust Carol will do what's necessary.

3 hours ago, Wrex said:

Carol has made her statement and we have to respect it. Onwards and upwards with Askey.

Ole and Manchester United seemed to be a dead man walking but now they are second in the Premier League. So you don't have to change your manager to see an improvement.

We can't change things now so we might as well get behind him. Things have to improve though as key players come back, but if we do genuinely get drawn into a relegation battle then I trust Carol will do what's necessary.

Can I change my mind 50 seconds into the following match?...

Ole never went 12 games without a win did he ???

he reached the point of no return weeks ago and now it’s a joke

Archived