Doha

Manager Poll  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Askey in/out

• In
    • Out

Advert

45 minutes ago, Barcroft said:

If Askey leaves I hope the club looks at both male and female options for a replacement.

There have been no female managers in the professional male game as far as I am aware which is shocking.

The club's profile from such a move would be significant, and not only would the club go down positively in history, it would almost certainly receive other boosts such as additional TV revenues, and an increased female fan base both immediately and with future generations.

An empty covid stadium could be good timing as well, for such a landmark appointment.

Food for thought.

Wow it’s about the ability to do a good job not about the gender and I don’t know of any female managers who would be successful it’s a stupid suggestion 

9 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Get him gone. 

593 You weren't saying that at the end of the 2018/19 season when JA saved vale from the unthinkable, you weren't saying that at when the 2019/20 season was curtailed, you weren't saying that after 10 games of the 20/21 season. JA has shown himself capable of getting Vale into the top 7, we would have been in the play-offs last season if not for a weak ref at Cheltenham or the early curtailment of the season. 

We've got a manager who has improved the quality of football played by PVFC immensely, yep Stevenage and Barrow were bad but look at the players we were missing against the latter. The current run is more than frustrating but JA will turn it around. Changing the manager every 2 years is not the way to build a successful football club but a recipe for ruination and loss of money.

Unfortunately Vale fans have to take the rough with the smooth, chucking the baby out with the bath water is a poor option.

30 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

593 You weren't saying that at the end of the 2018/19 season when JA saved vale from the unthinkable, you weren't saying that at when the 2019/20 season was curtailed, you weren't saying that after 10 games of the 20/21 season. JA has shown himself capable of getting Vale into the top 7, we would have been in the play-offs last season if not for a weak ref at Cheltenham or the early curtailment of the season. 

We've got a manager who has improved the quality of football played by PVFC immensely, yep Stevenage and Barrow were bad but look at the players we were missing against the latter. The current run is more than frustrating but JA will turn it around. Changing the manager every 2 years is not the way to build a successful football club but a recipe for ruination and loss of money.

Unfortunately Vale fans have to take the rough with the smooth, chucking the baby out with the bath water is a poor option.

Of the 4 promoted sides last season, 3 had managers who were in their first full season at their club. The only outlier was Artell who operates at a unique club in League 2, where he doesn't really need to recruit much.

Whilst I'm all for stability, there's not a great deal of evidence to suggest it's that important at this level, on both a managerial or player level. Continuity for continuity's sake is pointless. Continuity for the sake of maintaining an obvious upwards trend is to be encouraged, but we're in the same position today as we were 2 years ago with a much older first 11.

What is clearly more important is not 'keeping a manager in situ', but 'having a good manager'. 

My views on Askey are largely predicated on the axiom that, with an excellent Chairwoman and a good off the field setup, Port Vale could attract a better quality manager than him. I don't think he's as awful as some make out, but also think he is below what we could be enjoying, with serious flaws that he seems unable to shake. He's OK. 

As I've pointed out, if Morecambe can attract a manager of Adams' calibre, then I don't think it's that far of a leap to make the presupposition that we could attract a manager of a similar quality, who, in my view, would be better than Askey. 

I've accepted for a few weeks now that he's going nowhere, and that's fine, I guess; in my view it entails the conclusion of any promotion hopes we still harbour, but the times are strange and Carol knows far more than I do about the situation of the club. It's an interesting case study as it defies the orthodoxy of the lower leagues; Carol previously has spoken of her admiration for the Colchester chairman, who has stuck by managers more than most, as well as Accrington who are blessed with the best manager outside the Championship, so it will be interesting to see how much Askey can pull this around.

I do hope, if we're going for stability in the managerial department, we make the necessary adjustments in the recruitment department to avoid the continuation of the undisputedly sub-par signings we have been subjected to since May 2019. We were stagnant this summer, and clubs took advantage and overtook us. This can't happen again.

31 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

I’m not having that.

How can his position not be under question with our position and points this season? Add to that the disgraceful performances. He didn’t save us from the unthinkable either. (He started really bad) I wish fans would stop making excuses for him. Every side gets injuries that is football. That Dosent have an affect on poor tactics and substitutions or the attitude from players. 

if you have watched us this season there is no way you can seriously believe askey has improved the quality of us immensely. He is taking us backwards - proven by the league table! 

I agree Re changing managers but that Dosent mean we have to stick with someone who is taking us towards non league. 

No I and others weren’t saying that then. Why on earth would be? And that’s also completely irrelevant. We’re not talking about what nearly happened. We’re in the present and in the present we have 1 win in 11/12 games (lost count) and being knocked out of the fa cup to kings lynn. Add into that the truly attrocious recruitment I personally don’t see any reason we would keep askey. If we were losing but playing some good stuff I could understand, but we’re not. Bolton aside we’ve been embarrassing. Yes I know that’s partly down to the effort of the players however the manager signed them and it’s his job to get them going. He should have gone after the Stevenage game. 

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

I can tell you that myself and others were questioning Askey knowledge and tactics since he’s been here. The reason for this was that all substitutions took place around the same time 75 mins. The players substituted were replaced by the same substitutes. Every game was a copy of a previous game. Bennett started and would be replaced by Pope. Pope needs 30 mins to get into a game so there was no point bringing him on for a cameo role. 

49 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

He had a worse win percentage than Askey in his last two jobs...

Did a brilliant job at Grimsby in the conference like JA AT Macc but did an even better job in L1 at Shrewsbury (unlike JA).

Scunthorpe was a tough one to turn around but maybe he would have done if he had owners like ours. He certainly never had a run there as bad as ours.

53 minutes ago, blackdog said:

How do you work that out his record is awful bar a 2 year stint at Shrewsbury ?

Every manager has a failed appointment at sometime otherwise they wouldn't be out of work. You have to look beyond stats and view the overall situation at clubs at what the manager was asked to do. 

Ipswich where asset stripping and cost cutting at the time, his hands where  very much tied behind his back. Scunthorpe was just a bad experience. All managers have them at one club or can another.

Archived