Manager Poll

Doha

Manager Poll  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Askey in/out

• In
    • Out

59 minutes ago, MBE said:

We need to close this thread. JA is the man for the season now it looks like he is getting the transfer window to change his squad.

I hope so. He deserves that, at least.

To suggest he's taken us as far as he can is laughable.  The team he put together to rampage out of the conference would easily finish higher in this league. If there are negative forces at work in the squad, they need to be released, whoever they are. We have one of our own who knows his football, at the helm.

Things aren't great at the moment but he can turn it around. Just as he has with teams before.

Advert

1 hour ago, Ron C said:

To suggest he's taken us as far as he can is laughable.  The team he put together to rampage out of the conference would easily finish higher in this league. If there are negative forces at work in the squad, they need to be released, whoever they are. We have one of our own who knows his football, at the helm.

Things aren't great at the moment but he can turn it around. Just as he has with teams before.

Yeah, perhaps he can find a mysterious magic wand lying around somewhere in his basement.

6 hours ago, Ron C said:

Not quite getting what a rampaging Macc team has to do with the current rabble. 

Swings and roundabouts, Shrewsbury were on their way down when they sacked him. 

Foyle, Glover and Aspin were one of our own. How many times do we have to keep going down that route, it's pure laziness by owners . 

Hopefully the Shanahans won't fall into that category of making do. 

8 hours ago, Ron C said:

No he dosent. You cant win 1 in 11 (or is it 12) now and be fine for the season. 6 points in 33 is an utter disgrace. Get him gone. 

I agree he’s not taken us as far as he can. If he stays all season we will go down - that’s the only way askey is taking us. Every other club would have taken action long ago. We’re just sitting her accepting this tripe and hoping that askey will all of a sudden change his ways. It won’t happen. 

Macc has nothing to do with it. (Also that was in non league which seems to be his level) lots of managers have a had a good spell in football. Should we get bruno back in because we started well that season? 

look at what is happening. We haven’t just lost 3 in a row we’ve got 6 points from 33. We have been beaten by the worst sides in the league (and comfortably) with two of the worst performances in vales history against Stevenage and barrow. What on earth is there showing you askey can turn this around. And more to the point why does he deserve time? It’s his fault we’re in this mess again. He has signed these players and in the majority of games it’s been his tactical decisions that have resulted in us losing games. There literally isn’t one positive. 

You keep mentioning macc. He did well with them in non league. What about Shrewsbury? He was dreadful for them and signed his typixal crap players there as well. Sacked very early on before he took them down. 

Askey signed these ‘negative forces’

27 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

No he dosent. You can win 1 in 11 (or is it 12) now and be fine for the season. 6 points in 33 is an utter disgrace. Get him gone. 

I agree he’s not taken us as far as he can. If he stays all season we will go down - that’s the only way askey is taking us. Every other club would have taken action long ago. We’re just sitting her accepting this tripe and hoping that askey will all of a sudden change his ways. It won’t happen. 

Macc has nothing to do with it. (Also that was in non league which seems to be his level) lots of managers have a had a good spell in football. Should we get bruno back in because we started well that season? 

look at what is happening. We haven’t just lost 3 in a row we’ve got 6 points from 33. We have been beaten by the worst sides in the league (and comfortably) with two of the worst performances in vales history against Stevenage and barrow. What on earth is there showing you askey can turn this around. And more to the point why does he deserve time? It’s his fault we’re in this mess again. He has signed these players and in the majority of games it’s been his tactical decisions that have resulted in us losing games. There literally isn’t one positive. 

You keep mentioning macc. He did well with them in non league. What about Shrewsbury? He was dreadful for them and signed his typixal crap players there as well. Sacked very early on before he took them down. 

Askey signed these ‘negative forces’

Correct. Some very odd characters on OVF lately. 

4 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Not quite getting what a rampaging Macc team has to do with the current rabble. 

Swings and roundabouts, Shrewsbury were on their way down when they sacked him. 

Foyle, Glover and Aspin were one of our own. How many times do we have to keep going down that route, it's pure laziness by owners . 

Hopefully the Shanahans won't fall into that category of making do. 

What? You don't understand the relevance?

He put it together with NO funding. It is only a few years ago. He knows how to spot bargains. HIs signings here have been very low cost, low risk. If they don't work out, move on. He finds gems judging by his Macc days. We are bargain shopping. The Shanahans do not have a massive pot to spend. We can only build through bargains and a long-term strategy.

Making do? Our own? Laziness? I only put Asiin as one of our own from this generation. Page, Rebeiro, Adams, Brown? They're not our own! They had no attachment to Port Vale. Brown may have been here for a few years at the end of his career but he certainly isn't one of "our own".

Looking at the Shrewsbury results, they were on the way up when they sacked him. Remind me where they are now.

1 minute ago, Ron C said:

He put it together with NO funding. It is only a few years ago. He knows how to spot bargains. HIs signings here have been very low cost, low risk. If they don't work out, move on. He finds gems judging by his Macc days. We are bargain shopping. The Shanahans do not have a massive pot to spend. We can only build through bargains and a long-term strategy.

Making do? Our own? Laziness? I only put Asiin as one of our own from this generation. Page, Rebeiro, Adams, Brown? They're not our own! They had no attachment to Port Vale. Brown may have been here for a few years at the end of his career but he certainly isn't one of "our own".

Looking at the Shrewsbury results, they were on the way up when they sacked him. Remind me where they are now.

A division higher than us with 13 points from 15 since sacking Ricketts is where they are now.

Name some of the Macclesfield gems ? I assume they are all in higher divisions apart from the dross we signed ? 

By our own I didn't necessarily mean Vale fans.

Page and Brown were just lazy cheap appointments because they were already here. We didn't look outside the club as per usual. 

Page as it turns out was an okay manager in a higher division, a touch too conservative away from home maybe. 

In the past 20 years we have maybe had 4 managers with no connection to Vale. 

Horton, Foyle,Aspin, Glover, Brown,Page , Askey were all connected as they were either here already or played for us.

That's what I meant as lazy and let's face it Danny Pugh would get the nod this time around. 

45 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Page and Brown were just lazy cheap appointments because they were already here. We didn't look outside the club as per usual. 

Page as it turns out was an okay manager in a higher division, a touch too conservative away from home maybe. 

In the past 20 years we have maybe had 4 managers with no connection to Vale. 

Or 4 in 37 years, if you include Rudgey as one of "ours", which I didn't. We can all pick a period of time.

Askey was a wise choice then, and he still is a prudent choice.

You build a team through long-term planning. Not jumping at some magician. These magicians usually create a lot of expensive issues behind the scenes which can cost clubs for years.

We have solid owners. We have solid coaching. Both faculties are our "own". Why not do everything to get behind them? Give it every chance to bed in and be successful.

Granted, it's hard to argue that things are great, at the minute.

1 hour ago, Ron C said:

Doing.quite well under the new manager 

19 minutes ago, Ron C said:

Or 4 in 37 years, if you include Rudgey as one of "ours", which I didn't. We can all pick a period of time.

You build a team through long-term planning. Not jumping at some magician. These magicians usually create a lot of expensive issues behind the scenes which can cost clubs for years.

We have solid owners. We have solid coaching. Both faculties are our "own". Why not do everything to get behind them? Give it every chance to bed in and be successful.

The days of building a team over 3 or 4 seasons are long gone now with 12 month or at best 2 year contracts good players move on  as free agents when contract expires 

1 hour ago, Ron C said:

I'm not expecting you to trawl through my posts Ron , you'd fall asleep mate. 

I've been behind Askey all the way, then a couple of weeks ago I had splinters in my arse because I went 50/50. We can't keep sacking managers that's true or we'll turn into Watford. 

But something is clearly not right. The lack of the so called plan B, dreadful game management, awful reactions to the opponent's changes, no consistency with team selection. I could go on . 

He's a really amiable bloke I have spoken to him a few times when I was washing seats last summer. 

Football is a results business at the end of the day and it's all going belly up. 

There's growing frustration and pent up anger , no doubt that the world we are in at the moment isn't helping.

But he's now had 2 full pre season to build a team and we are arguably no better off than when he joined in February 2019. 

Maybe expectations were too high, the club blew that trumpet as well as the fans. 

I'm sick of being little Port Vale happy just to have a club and meandering around serenely in League 2. I want to see tangible progress on the pitch. Sadly there is none. And I'll add that it's not all down to injuries , some awful performance and bizarre team selection with a fully fit squad. 

That's why I'm now in the change camp as sadly we are treading water and we want better , need better, expect better. 

14 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I'm not expecting you to trawl through my posts Ron , you'd fall asleep mate. 

I've been behind Askey all the way, then a couple of weeks ago I had splinters in my arse because I went 50/50. We can't keep sacking managers that's true or we'll turn into Watford. 

But something is clearly not right. The lack of the so called plan B, dreadful game management, awful reactions to the opponent's changes, no consistency with team selection. I could go on . 

He's a really amiable bloke I have spoken to him a few times when I was washing seats last summer. 

Football is a results business at the end of the day and it's all going belly up. 

There's growing frustration and pent up anger , no doubt that the world we are in at the moment isn't helping.

But he's now had 2 full pre season to build a team and we are arguably no better off than when he joined in February 2019. 

Maybe expectations were too high, the club blew that trumpet as well as the fans. 

I'm sick of being little Port Vale happy just to have a club and meandering around serenely in League 2. I want to see tangible progress on the pitch. Sadly there is none. And I'll add that it's not all down to injuries , some awful performance and bizarre team selection with a fully fit squad. 

That's why I'm now in the change camp as sadly we are treading water and we want better , need better, expect better. 

A very sensible comment. Not much to criticise there!  Perhaps the difference between us is purely my faith.

2 minutes ago, Ron C said:

A very sensible comment. Not much to criticise there!  Perhaps the difference between us is purely my faith.

Nothing wrong with faith. We all want him to succeed or we aren't proper fans. 

Same as when we sign somebody we'd rather not have for example Artell , Hughes etc ( I know Artell quit ) we have to get behind them because they are ours. 

The way it's heading I'm not sure I'd want to celebrate promotion by turning up at Vale Park to jump up and down breaking covid restrictions anyway. So we'll have to reconfigure and start afresh in August. 

If it is still Askey I'll be 100% wanting him to succeed, I can't speak for others. 

But I do think he's ran his race 

If Askey leaves I hope the club looks at both male and female options for a replacement.

There have been no female managers in the professional male game as far as I am aware which is shocking.

The club's profile from such a move would be significant, and not only would the club go down positively in history, it would almost certainly receive other boosts such as additional TV revenues, and an increased female fan base both immediately and with future generations.

An empty covid stadium could be good timing as well, for such a landmark appointment.

Food for thought.

Archived