Doha

Manager Poll  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Askey in/out

• In
    • Out

15 hours ago, sinnott2spinnit said:

Surely this can’t be true!!!

It isn't true. Them and West Brom had a few wobbles but were always top 3 for the majority of the season. 

We are miles behind the top 3. Complete fabrication by the poster 

For the record their lowest position all season long was 5th !! 

Advert

5 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Ron, firstly he purchased Bennett who I didn’t rate and still think it was the best bit of business that he did because I was shocked anyone would want Bennett.

The point you make about how he had a £3m transfer surplus, who were these players, can you name them.? There was Okenabirhie who he signed from the Daggers and sold to Doncaster, reported to be for £75k, I do not take all reported transfers to be accurate, but £75k is a long way from £3m.

i find your posts have depth to them and enjoy hearing others POV’s but please stop abusing others. TY

Merry Christmas, bless all the ppl who  wear black & white.

I'm not an expert on all his signings but going off club accounts and what friends tell me (ones that I have a lot of trust in) his time at Shrewsbury was very profitable for them. Admittedly, due to the length of his tenure, they are likely to be sales of Hurst's players. Shrewsbury have hardly been more successful since he left - so his signings must have been OK and cheap.

Stop abusing others? Funny how they can abuse our staff but can't take it back. No real nastiness intended, just frustration at how we all find it palatable to attack the club when it is currently in the safest hands we've had for years. I find it distasteful, at best. I think we should all be united for the best for all of us. Funny how fickle football can be and yet how thin skinned we can also be.

Bennett was a great deal. I think you'll find he kept Macclesfield afloat with deals like that.  Signings take time to bed in. Some will fail miserably and succeed elsewhere while others may never fulfill their promise.

Merry Christmas. Here's hoping our form rebounds sooner than later.

15 minutes ago, Ron C said:

I'm not an expert on all his signings but going off club accounts and what friends tell me (ones that I have a lot of trust in) his time at Shrewsbury was very profitable for them. Admittedly, due to the length of his tenure, they are likely to be sales of Hurst's players. Shrewsbury have hardly been more successful since he left - so his signings must have been OK and cheap.

Stop abusing others? Funny how they can abuse our staff but can't take it back. No real nastiness intended, just frustration at how we all find it palatable to attack the club when it is currently in the safest hands we've had for years. I find it distasteful, at best. I think we should all be united for the best for all of us. Funny how fickle football can be and yet how thin skinned we can also be.

Bennett was a great deal. I think you'll find he kept Macclesfield afloat with deals like that.  Signings take time to bed in. Some will fail miserably and succeed elsewhere while others may never fulfill their promise.

Merry Christmas. Here's hoping our form rebounds sooner than later.

Yes, I hope our form does rebound and there’s no one more fickle than football fans. He did keep Macc afloat with deals like that but he’s struggling to do it at a slightly higher level. Obviously we trust in K&C because they saved our club and having to pay an over inflated price then the purse strings need to be tightened.

i don’t think JA helps himself with comments like I’ve lost ten games before when we’d only lost six at that time including to KLT. There aren’t too many managers that would get the backing off the owners like JA has had. I wouldn’t want us to turn into a Watford as you’ve got to have continuity to become a successful club.

Yes he did well last season and were riding on the crest of a wave until it was curtailed early. I think you’d agree that we’re a bigger club than Macclesfield Town, which magnifies the hurt felt when we couldn’t beat them.

Lets see how we go on against Barrow and take it from there. 

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

It isn't true. Them and West Brom had a few wobbles but were always top 3 for the majority of the season. 

We are miles behind the top 3. Complete fabrication by the poster 

For the record their lowest position all season long was 5th !! 

Thanks for that. I hope the original poster wasn’t trying to compare our current situation to the Leeds success of last season or worse still, comparing Askey to Bielsa. The closest we could to get him, is his seat!!!

No doubt we have a better squad than last season. Even first 11, Rodders is a definite upgrade on Bennett. On the flip side we're missing Gibbo and a fully firing Mitch at full back. And some players standards have slipped.

So we are definitely under achieving. Seems like we can defend alright and create nothing, or create and leak like a sieve at the back.

I'm not for pulling the trigger on Askey, unless we end up looking like we are going to get into relegation trouble. Mainly because switching managers is always a bit of a shot in the dark. You could argue this is too cautious a view, which is fine.  But Askey and his players have to up their game soon or there will be trouble at th' mill. 

Fingers crossed things pick up. 

JA came to PVFC and saved us from possible relegation in 2018/19 season, we were dire and had been for a few seasons. Turned Vale around and  almost certainly would have got Vale in the play-offs in the 2019/20 season if not automatic promo if not for COVID-19, got us up to 4/5th if not higher in the 2020/21 season but results have not been good for the last 6 weeks or so.

The team compared to when he took over have been playing some excellent football and even in this bad patch Vale have been in most of the games and only losing by the odd goal. Just like any other manager some of his signings have been good, some not so good but he's generally building back the playing fabric of the club so disgracefully destroyed by Bruno/Smurf.

Vale fans want John Askey gone......madness.

12 hours ago, MBE said:

No doubt whatsoever the players are culpable too but why does JA keep picking the same players over and over again who continue to make the same errors? Its not like we don't have other options. 

Imagine your in the squad, you see the player in front of you performing poorly and/or making basic errors. You would expect to be given a chance in the team. How demotivated in training and pissed off would you be at not been given the chance?

The lack of squad management is why JA is at fault to allow the situation to develop with the player. We need to to get competition back into the squad to raise the performance levels. We either have to ship out 5 or 6 and replace with 3 or 4 1st teamers or change the manager. It has to be one or the other unless we want to limp along until the end of the season.

It's not quite that straight forward, in many games we haven't had options in many positions.  We've seen players isolating, out injured, playing but not fully fit, serving bans etc.  Throw in lack of form and who'd be a manager.  Only a couple could be genuinely pissed off at not getting much of a chance,  Brisley, Crookes and maybe Visser.  Players have been given their chance and flopped.  On the flip side of this Hurst appears to have grabbed his opportunity.

Your last couple of sentences are laughable.  We're never going to ship out 5 or 6 in the current climate, but if we did, what evidence do you have that bringing in 3 or 4 first teamers would have the desired effect?  Do you think these top players, in the highly unlikely event we managed to sign 3 in January that would walk into the first team, would all bed seamlessly into the first team?  Say we take your second option and change the manager, what crystal ball have you been looking into that's told you the next incumbent is going to be an automatic success?

The point is that both options are essentially gambles, which may or may not work out.  We could do both and still limp along until the end of the season.

On 21/12/2020 at 23:04, Joe B said:

Askey has signed 21 players: Maddison, Crookes, Kennedy, Brisley, Burgess, Lloyd, Evans, Hurst, Taylor, Amoo, Browne, Cullen, Bennett, Archer, Rodney, Mills, Whitehead, Robinson, Fitzpatrick, Visser, McKirdy, Clark.

Serious question; if the whole squad is fit, how many of them make the first 11? In my view, it's Amoo and Rodney and you stop there. There are possible arguments for Fitzpatrick and maybe Burgess but I'd turn to Montano and Conlon in turn. In my view it's not good enough, and a mid-table budget shouldn't factor into this as teams with much less money than us manage to do much better.

I accept that you have to sign some rough gems, but Rodney looks to be the only example of this, and Hurst possibly (though it's very early to say yet).

I'm afraid that we just have to accept that all clubs will some sign a mixture, some squad players, some who they hope will develop and some in theory ready made for the first 11.  You've named 21 from across several seasons, so, for example, Maddison came and went to be replaced by Visser, both only expected to be backup to Brown and so it goes with many of the names you listed.

Your question is valid.  For whatever reason we've failed to seriously improve the first 11.  At the start of JA's time we were told it was difficult to attract players due to the toxicity and tin potted legacy of the previous owner.  Since the change of ownership we're no doubt in a better position to attract players.  So whether it boils down to money, lack of scouting, COVID, or whatever, who knows.  COVID was a factor for sure, we opted for a deeper squad, better squad players at the cost of a bit of added first team quality, some other clubs went for smaller squads with better players, where a bit more luck with injury is needed.  As it stands you could argue that our approach hasn't worked.

I will add though that a mid table budget guarantees nowt.  Look at Mansfield and Bradford who both must have bigger budgets than ourselves.

There's no denying a lot of his signings have been poor but as more info comes out that he couldn't afford the players he wanted the question is who is really to blame. Mr Bowers said the other day he missed out on a couple of wingers as he couldn't match wages then there's Maynard Matt and Vaughan as well.
Yes his substitutions are poor at best but if he'd of took an attacker off and put brisley on at half time or even at 2-2 he would of been slated for being to negative. I personally think the only reason he's still in a job is because there's no money to pay him off no money for a new manager and no money in the budget to attract a new manager. Hopefully once they pay fatty off this will change but I fear that will be another year at least

1 hour ago, dishydave said:

There's no denying a lot of his signings have been poor but as more info comes out that he couldn't afford the players he wanted the question is who is really to blame. Mr Bowers said the other day he missed out on a couple of wingers as he couldn't match wages then there's Maynard Matt and Vaughan as well.
Yes his substitutions are poor at best but if he'd of took an attacker off and put brisley on at half time or even at 2-2 he would of been slated for being to negative. I personally think the only reason he's still in a job is because there's no money to pay him off no money for a new manager and no money in the budget to attract a new manager. Hopefully once they pay fatty off this will change but I fear that will be another year at least

Well you wouldn’t make that sub at 2-2 would you? You make it at 2-0 when they’ve made 4 or at the 3-2. It didn’t have to be brisley either it could have been a Cm to sure up the middle. 

i don’t know why you keep mentioning the budget. It’s not bad at all. Offered a very good wage for Maynard that he was happy to take until mansfield came back with a stupid amount 

17 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Well you wouldn’t make that sub at 2-2 would you? You make it at 2-0 when they’ve made 4 or at the 3-2. It didn’t have to be brisley either it could have been a Cm to sure up the middle. 

i don’t know why you keep mentioning the budget. It’s not bad at all. Offered a very good wage for Maynard that he was happy to take until mansfield came back with a stupid amount 

Nail on the head. We didn’t react to their subs until too late and that’s his other problem (bar recruitment but I do get what “wearestayingup” says). They made 4, we didn’t. They changed tactics and we continued to plough ahead. Imagine at 2 nil if we’d gone 442 or 451 , made it narrower etc. Their 4 subs wouldn’t have known what to do. But we didn’t and lost again. 
Poor from JA, give him these next couple of games and with no improvement, there won’t be any argument. 

12 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Nail on the head. We didn’t react to their subs until too late and that’s his other problem (bar recruitment but I do get what “wearestayingup” says). They made 4, we didn’t. They changed tactics and we continued to plough ahead. Imagine at 2 nil if we’d gone 442 or 451 , made it narrower etc. Their 4 subs wouldn’t have known what to do. But we didn’t and lost again. 
Poor from JA, give him these next couple of games and with no improvement, there won’t be any argument. 

Exactly and he keeps doing it ,game after game he should have reacted to it at 3-2 v tranmere those injury time time goals have damaged us more than any other game it was ridiculous and do not get me started on some of the players they lack what you need get out of league 2 BOTTLE. 

9 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Exactly and he keeps doing it ,game after game he should have reacted to it at 3-2 v tranmere those injury time time goals have damaged us more than any other game it was ridiculous and do not get me started on some of the players they lack what you need get out of league 2 BOTTLE. 

Bang on the money mate. Seems like the Tranmere game has defined the destiny of the season. Joyce's idiotic challenge, the failure to make substitutions to manage the game correctly. 

It's all spiralled downhill from that day. At 3-3 the least we accept is a draw by game management and bringing on Brisley to kill momentum. 

Those last 3 minutes almost single handedly wrecked everything, morale, form, confidence and belief 

7 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

the failure to make substitutions to manage the game correctly. 

It's not like that was a one off though was it? We say this every week, or criticise the timing and effect of his substitution choices.

I can't stop thinking that Legge losing the plot in injury time against Scunthorpe and allowing a forward who is seven inches shorter than him to effortlessly beat him to a header was the defining moment.

That was it. Dropping those two points cost us the play off finish.

Last season was the time to go up.

Now those players are older and are nowhere near the standard, the level, the confidence they were last season.

That Scunthorpe cross was the defining moment that cost us promotion last year and will waste this season. We likely will have to fundamentally rebuild in the summer meaning next season could well be too much of an ask as well.

3 hours ago, dishydave said:

A lot of sense here but I believe JA has been backed as well as he could be. He knows the score financially and has been given a 'competetive' budget for L2. Smurthwaite has bled the club and continues to bleed the Shanahan's dry, they also know this and seem prepared to push on with the bigger picture.

So much positivity has been tarnished to a degree. You only had to look at Vaughan up front for Tranmere, he's on massive wages but surely Robinson and Cullen combined my be close? not since the halycon days of Tom Pope have we had a 20/ 30 goals a season striker, Tom is still by far the best with Rodney offering potential tbf.

I think recruitment has been poor, I also would have sacrificed some of the permanent signings and tapped into the loan market.

Is there only Phil Sproson supplying players to Vale or has his nose now been put out by Sinclair?

Bottom line this is we are not good enough for the play offs, Worralls work rate will be sorely missed during this period also.

Happy Christmas......

Archived