Manager Poll

Doha

Manager Poll  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Askey in/out

• In
    • Out

8 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Steady on Ron old bean.  Christmas spirit.  Good will and all that.  There's plenty to moan about right now to be fair.  Not just football.  We're all going stir. 🤪

Yes, fair enough.

Fortunately, I am pretty confident Joe can handle it.  Frustrating time for all.

Advert

10 hours ago, Ron C said:

Utterly disgusted with this topic.

We have very short memories. We have a squad that is capable of competing. We are mid-table. Those who think they know more than a manager who has won titles at every level up to ours are wrong.

To do this to one of our own shows me that we deserve the disaster we've lived through for years. We have had a club ripped apart by awful ownership for years. Why don't we appreciate the value of being together?

Fervently IN for me. We are in  a much better position than we have been in for years. We have a squad which is pretty much interchangeable. That pays off when other squads tire. Why can't the idiots on here recognise that?

Keep accepting this below average trash. It’s no wonder we are stuck in this division 

your post re askeys signings. What a load of rubbish. His signings have been dire. 

5 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Keep accepting this below average trash. It’s no wonder we are stuck in this division 

your post re askeys signings. What a load of rubbish. His signings have been dire. 

I'll keep accepting the roller coaster for a few more months as opposed to the rubbish I've watched for most of our recent history, thank you. Glad you can forget it.

His track record predates his tenure here. See if you can do some research. It's not that hard. His signings here have been mixed, like every manager. I assure you, I'm not over the moon about them. They've all been free though.

1 minute ago, Ron C said:

I'll keep accepting the roller coaster for a few more months as opposed to the rubbish I've watched for most of our recent history, thank you. Glad you can forget it.

His track record predates his tenure here. See if you can do some research. It's not that hard. His signings here have been mixed, like every manager. I assure you, I'm not over the moon about them. They've all been free though.

They have all been free, but at this level that is usually the case. 
I would personally say mixed is being generous. Each year squad players that weren’t good enough have been replaced with more not good enough squad players. Our scouting seems to be very limited. 

Research on what? He did well at macc and got sacked by Shrewsbury not sure what or why I need to research. It’s now that matters and we are far from being good enough. 

personally I don’t think performances like Stevenage are any better than the tripe that was served up by aspin / brown. 

Out of interest what will you accept moving forwards? This downwards spiral that we are on to continue? What would it take for you to think askey needs to go? 

2 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

They have all been free, but at this level that is usually the case. 
I would personally say mixed is being generous. Each year squad players that weren’t good enough have been replaced with more not good enough squad players. Our scouting seems to be very limited. 

Research on what? He did well at macc and got sacked by Shrewsbury not sure what or why I need to research. It’s now that matters and we are far from being good enough. 

personally I don’t think performances like Stevenage are any better than the tripe that was served up by aspin / brown. 

Out of interest what will you accept moving forwards? This downwards spiral that we are on to continue? What would it take for you to think askey needs to go? 

If it ever becomes clear that we are spiraling downwards, then I would be wanting change. That is not the case at the moment. Ups and downs is what we are being served. That is football. If we were being treated to a massive budget then I would expect much better.

Regarding Shrewsbury and Macclesfield, I think I'm right in saying that he had a massive trading surplus. Even though most appear to be free transfers at this level, he appears to be able to sell players on for profit. All part of building a club. Re-invest in appropriate risk/reward deals.

4 minutes ago, Ron C said:

If it ever becomes clear that we are spiraling downwards, then I would be wanting change. That is not the case at the moment. Ups and downs is what we are being served. That is football. If we were being treated to a massive budget then I would expect much better.

Regarding Shrewsbury and Macclesfield, I think I'm right in saying that he had a massive trading surplus. Even though most appear to be free transfers at this level, he appears to be able to sell players on for profit. All part of building a club. Re-invest in appropriate risk/reward deals.

Fair enough. I’d say the way we have dropped is quite alarming and personally I don’t think askey can change it. Let’s hope he can starting saturday

10 hours ago, Joe B said:

Lloyd. Evans. Archer. Maddison. Kennedy. Browne. Mills. Whitehead. McKirdy. Robinson.

Are you related to Askey? This is one of the most outlandish claims I've ever read.

You say Browne but many on here did like him,so just because he left doesn't make him <ovf censored>,i aren't sticking up for Askey on his pap signings as of course he has had some,many were signed under the blue one regime.

Those last four apart from maybe Robinson nobody on here as i can remember moaned when we signed them as they all had decent records at this level,Mckirdy(yes we know his reputation) was carlisle top scorer,Robinson had a better goals per minutes ratio in this league last season than Doyle,Whitehead whilst not a regular was a steady midfielder with an eye for goal at the time and Mills was rated by Oldham fans etc....what i do agree with is they have been <ovf censored> upto now for us. All this is only my opinion of course

9 hours ago, Joe B said:

Askey has signed 21 players: Maddison, Crookes, Kennedy, Brisley, Burgess, Lloyd, Evans, Hurst, Taylor, Amoo, Browne, Cullen, Bennett, Archer, Rodney, Mills, Whitehead, Robinson, Fitzpatrick, Visser, McKirdy, Clark.

Serious question; if the whole squad is fit, how many of them make the first 11? In my view, it's Amoo and Rodney and you stop there. There are possible arguments for Fitzpatrick and maybe Burgess but I'd turn to Montano and Conlon in turn. In my view it's not good enough, and a mid-table budget shouldn't factor into this as teams with much less money than us manage to do much better.

I accept that you have to sign some rough gems, but Rodney looks to be the only example of this, and Hurst possibly (though it's very early to say yet).

So people are saying his recruitment has been shocking,now for me Maddison(never got a chance because of Brown),Crookes(had some decent games but has been poor at LB,jury still out for CB as not played there enough for us),Kennedy(poor),Brisley(i like him and hasn't really let us down when playing,sooner see him than legge at the moment),Burgess(surprise package last season,not as good this BUT has the potential no doubt),Lloyd(a shocker),Hurst(a real find imo,has a lot of potential),Taylor(i think we all wanted him back and still do if the old taylor from last season,again a find),Amoo(not been my favourite but has grown on me,rated by many on here),Browne(as i said a lot on here wanted him to play instead of Amoo,didn't often perform badly but i wouldn't say he was poor),Cullen(again not my fave but we cant argue with his record before joining and for us,just cant stay fit),Bennett(now he is a weird one,has had some good games and some shockers but sold on for a profit so there you go),Archer(another many on here were happy with when we signed him but again he wasn't given a run in the team so jury was out on him),Rodney(now i do think he will be a Gem of a find and the kind that Carol wants,one of my favourites is Rodders),Mills(WAS a steady attacking full back for other teams,i cant remember many moaning when we signied him thinking he would be decent cover been poor for us though so far),Whitehead(attacking midfielder with an eye for goal,we haven't really seen a lot of him here and hasn't had a run in the team,he has been poor in the games he has played though,again a few groans but not many when he signed),Theo(plenty of groans when we signed him mainly due to his previous time here and not his record for colchester etc,he is another who has been poor BUT not had a run in the team),Fitz(he has grown on me becoming a steady LB for us,so imo not poor),Visser(we have seen he has been very good when he has stood in for Brown and i wouldn't be worried if we rested Brown and played Visser),McKirdy(Carlisle's top scorer last season with a reputation,a gamble not had a run of games but has been poor for us),Clark(wasn't he an Aspin signing originally but either way again one all of us wanted,something not right as not the old clark we know)..... so overall and these are my opinions on signings i cant see that WHEN SIGNED they are as poor as some make out,whilst playing for us is  a different matter,again not sticking up for Askey as the run we are on his shocking tbf BUT the stick he has for all his recruitment is sometimes unfounded

9 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

It is 100% accurate of me to say the players are MAINLY at fault.  If you disagree I suggest you've either not watched the games or never played competitive football yourself, or both. Some of the errors are pub league stuff.  I would be moaning if I saw iton a Sunday morning. Example, getting consistently done by long balls over the top.  Askey has made mistakes for sure, who hasn't, but at the most basic level if a player completely misses the target from 6 yards out the manager has little control other than to drop said player, and that's if injuries permit.

No doubt whatsoever the players are culpable too but why does JA keep picking the same players over and over again who continue to make the same errors? Its not like we don't have other options. 

Imagine your in the squad, you see the player in front of you performing poorly and/or making basic errors. You would expect to be given a chance in the team. How demotivated in training and pissed off would you be at not been given the chance?

The lack of squad management is why JA is at fault to allow the situation to develop with the player. We need to to get competition back into the squad to raise the performance levels. We either have to ship out 5 or 6 and replace with 3 or 4 1st teamers or change the manager. It has to be one or the other unless we want to limp along until the end of the season.

9 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Thats totally your opinion and everyone is entitled to that,i have had my say on his signings and how i see it(which is my opinion) so to say his signings have been dire then yes a few have(for us).

There is no doubting that we are on a downward spiral and anyone who thinks otherwise has lost it BUT can it change of course it can,if there is unrest off certain players that wont help,do i want him gone? well being honest at one time i said no but i aren't fussed either way now,i am tired of watching us lose and the way we are losing but always hopeful that will change but at the end of the day it will be Carols decision as its her money and her club and i back her in whatever,if its true that she has recieved abusive emails and messages then that is bang out of order from people with a brain the size of a pea.

Fair enough. I’d say the way we have dropped is quite alarming and personally I don’t think askey can change it. Let’s hope he can starting saturday

Saturday will be a massive game for him and i am sure that no true vale fan would want us to lose just so askey would lose his job,it is probably his last chance with me and possibly carol as well,you cant keep going on the run we are on and anyone new would need the transfer window.

On a side note fans who moan that he brings in players he has worked with well in reality the majority if not all managers bring in players they trust and who they have worked with at previous clubs but some will be better than others.

13 hours ago, Ron C said:

You make a valid observation. The problem is that 3 of our highest earners are in that bracket. Brown, Pope and Legge. Will you be the one to say get rid of them? Brown and Legge were immense last year and part of the backbone of the side.

With building squads, it's all risk v reward. You need some outlandish risks to come off but also need to pay for stability. His signings this summer were pretty much all low cost and therefore low risk. Just maybe, the players that he really fancied weren't available. You don't over-pay for someone who isn't a guaranteed product. I have faith in his signings. His outlay is low and he's already made a profit just off selling Bennett. His track record speaks for itself in the transfer market. He uncovers gems. Even in his short spell at Shrewsbury he made them a fortune. I think he left them with something like £3m transfer surplus.

I don't think now is the time to throw too much mud at him. He'll be hurting more than anyone.

Ron, firstly he purchased Bennett who I didn’t rate and still think it was the best bit of business that he did because I was shocked anyone would want Bennett.

The point you make about how he had a £3m transfer surplus, who were these players, can you name them.? There was Okenabirhie who he signed from the Daggers and sold to Doncaster, reported to be for £75k, I do not take all reported transfers to be accurate, but £75k is a long way from £3m.

i find your posts have depth to them and enjoy hearing others POV’s but please stop abusing others. TY

Merry Christmas, bless all the ppl who  wear black & white.

14 hours ago, Joe B said:

Askey has signed 21 players: Maddison, Crookes, Kennedy, Brisley, Burgess, Lloyd, Evans, Hurst, Taylor, Amoo, Browne, Cullen, Bennett, Archer, Rodney, Mills, Whitehead, Robinson, Fitzpatrick, Visser, McKirdy, Clark.

Joe, I think its a little unfair to judge JA on ALL of these signings. You have to remember in the first transfer we needed a change in culture after the disaster of Aspin. JA basically went out and signed squad players he trusted to do a job to fill a gap here and there when needed. That was the right thing to do at that time.

I would give him a free pass on signings like Lloyd and Evans for that reason, although it certainly doesn't excuse poor signings since. Not to improve the 1st eleven excluding Amoo and potentially Rodney Is alarming.

Archived