Manager Poll

Doha

Manager Poll  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Askey in/out

• In
    • Out

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

Smith getting subbed at Walsall maybe a clue ?

So Smithy is a trouble maker now is he? Pope got subbed. I really hate this rumour mongering from those "in the know". Is Worrall still off to Charlton?  Does us no good. 

Advert

I can't see Smith or Clarke being "Problem players" at Vale, they've both been at Vale for long periods of time and in the case of Clarke JA wouldn't have signed him for a 2nd time if there was a hint of "Problem" in him.

I can't understand why Clarke hasn't been playing at right or left full back.

10 hours ago, blackdog said:

No idea, but the next team selection could be a pointer and Askey did express his frustration at some of his team who had been great for him but were not performing now and making schoolboy errors.

Smith getting subbed at Walsall maybe a clue ?

Smith getting subbed was strange when you consider Legge is the one who cost us more goals on Saturday. But Smith coming off is an easier change to make when you’re trying to send a message to your centre halves, I really don’t think the manager would do that to Legge in a game. So I think Smith was the scapegoat for the defensive horror show on Saturday. 

Clark not being selected and also potentially going back early is a massive pointer to what’s going on behind the scenes. I’ve heard rumours from more than one very reliable source about Clark’s attitude and application this time around and the problems that’s causing. He may not have played as well in this spell but think about it, there is no way without good reason why anyone in their right mind would be ostracising a decent player when a, his replacement (Mills) is playing as poorly as he is and b, when the other right back (Gibbo) is still a number of weeks off fitness. 

50 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Just going off the vote on here shows that it isn't that cut and dried that fans want him gone,we are just a tiny minority of fans on here,this is why he will be getting at least one more game and one where i for one hope we trounce Barrow.... 4-1 Vale

It's a good point. 1/3 of fans on here want him to stay, and I've found OVF users to be far more... 'decisive' on stuff like management and owners, probably evidenced by the fact they spend their time sharing opinions on the Vale.

A lot of the rest of the fanbase are much more laid back about stuff, don't really have a strong view either way and are happy to be taken by the wind. I think a good 60-70% of fans fall into this category, who will watch/support the games but otherwise don't really worry themselves about it all. Wish I could be the same, to be honest.

The wise money is on Askey staying until the summer (and probably beyond) and there being a sizeable proportion of disgruntled fans are a result, but most won't be fussed. 

as I had this as an automatic promotion year.

.......and so did certain fans of Mansfield, Bradford City, Salford, Exeter, Tranmere, Walsall and so on and so forth. Nothing in football is a certainty and never has been. To finish in the top three of any division at the end of any season is one hell of an achievement. Promotion seasons aren’t like buses, to decide at the start of any season that “this is an automatic promotion year” is plain crackers.

8 minutes ago, Frank Mustard said:

.......and so did certain fans of Mansfield, Bradford City, Salford, Exeter, Tranmere, Walsall and so on and so forth. Nothing in football is a certainty and never has been. To finish in the top three of any division at the end of any season is one hell of an achievement. Promotion seasons aren’t like buses, to decide at the start of any season that “this is an automatic promotion year” is plain crackers.

I agree, but I think expectations of 7th or above were fair.

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Smith getting subbed was strange when you consider Legge is the one who cost us more goals on Saturday. But Smith coming off is an easier change to make when you’re trying to send a message to your centre halves, I really don’t think the manager would do that to Legge in a game. So I think Smith was the scapegoat for the defensive horror show on Saturday. 

Clark not being selected and also potentially going back early is a massive pointer to what’s going on behind the scenes. I’ve heard rumours from more than one very reliable source about Clark’s attitude and application this time around and the problems that’s causing. He may not have played as well in this spell but think about it, there is no way without good reason why anyone in their right mind would be ostracising a decent player when a, his replacement (Mills) is playing as poorly as he is and b, when the other right back (Gibbo) is still a number of weeks off fitness. 

Clark by the looks of it has had a torrid time off the pitch. His head hasn't been right .

This was tweeted by himself. Don't think it's that he's a bad apple it purely looks like he's had a rough time personally. 

14 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Can people stop spreading rumours without any foundation on here .

Who knows what has gone on with Clark but reading his tweet he has had family issues.

Sick to death of muck spreaders on here who literally make things up about people. 

I assume that’s directed at me and suffice to say I would never say who my sources were, and trust me I would also never just “make something up”. But they are concrete as far as I’m concerned because these come from so high up within the club. IMO we need him on the pitch at the moment, but the club do not push players away for no reason and they certainly don’t if someone was just having family issues. 

1 minute ago, PV1973 said:

I assume that’s directed at me and suffice to say I would never say who my sources were, and I would also never just “make something up”. But they are concrete as far as I’m concerned because these come from so high up within the club. IMO we need him on the pitch at the moment, but the club do not push players away for no reason and they certainly don’t if someone was just having family issues. 

No mate sorry wasn't a pop at you. There are numerous accusations on here from Mckirdy to Clark to Robinson etc etc. 

He tweeted good luck to the lads at Walsall, I don't think he's being pushed away, clearly something has gone on which has affected his form. 

Again not a pop at you, the club itself clearly isn't water tight if concrete information is coming out. 

People were on a Smurf email list in the past, leaks from the club now are going back to the bad days under him yet we are all to believe everything is wonderful with our current owners ? 

Sadly doesn't appear all is rosy in the garden on or off the pitch 

On 20/12/2020 at 10:10, MBE said:

For the owners I think its a question of either writing this season off or challenging for the play offs. To challenge a change is needed now to allow someone to bring in 2 or 3 lads, which I think would see us in the play offs.

Think it's more serious than that. At present, we're 23rd in the form table over the last eight games and if we carry on like this, our owners will have to make a different calculation. Whatever the causes of our current malaise, someone, somewhere in the club needs to assert their authority because otherwise we'll find ourselves in a survival fight.

To some extent, I feel sympathy for JA because if there's someone in the club who's undermining him, for whatever reason, it makes life very difficult. He and our owners need to stamp on it straightaway. Personally, I would trust Carol and Kevin to act decisively because, whether JA stays or not, this sort of insidious behaviour will do serious damage to the club.

Having said this, JA appears to me to be out of his depth - a non-league manager if ever I've seen one. He simply doesn't have the tactical nous to respond effectively to the changes other managers make and we have glaring deficiencies (like our tendency to concede last minute goals) that he's never managed to put right. Too many of the players are letting him down badly at the moment but they are his players which of course raises a few questions about his recruitment. I couldn't imagine MA putting up with this sort of player performance.

Sad to say, I think JA has taken us as far as he can.

3 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Think it's more serious than that. At present, we're 23rd in the form table over the last eight games and if we carry on like this, our owners will have to make a different calculation. Whatever the causes of our current malaise, someone, somewhere in the club needs to assert their authority because otherwise we'll find ourselves in a survival fight.

To some extent, I feel sympathy for JA because if there's someone in the club who's undermining him, for whatever reason, it makes life very difficult. He and our owners need to stamp on it straightaway. Personally, I would trust Carol and Kevin to act decisively because, whether JA stays or not, this sort of insidious behaviour will do serious damage to the club.

Having said this, JA appears to me to be out of his depth - a non-league manager if ever I've seen one. He simply doesn't have the tactical nous to respond effectively to the changes other managers make and we have glaring deficiencies (like our tendency to concede last minute goals) that he's never managed to put right. Too many of the players are letting him down badly at the moment but they are his players which of course raises a few questions about his recruitment. I couldn't imagine MA putting up with this sort of player performance.

Sad to say, I think JA has taken us as far as he can.

I don’t buy into the conspiracy theories, I just think it’s as simple as players and recruitment.

We trusted last seasons squad to reproduce the form that they showed at the end of last season and it just hasn’t happened.  When I see Mills shank a simple cross onto our post when under no pressure, and the same player miss a sitter to equalise near the death, it’s just rank poor play not due to any conspiracy.  And as we’ve seen, Mills hasn’t been on his own in this regard.

Whether JA is at his limit is a moot point because whoever were to come in would still have a somewhat limited squad at their disposal.

Given the current climate, the balanced view must surely be to use any funds, which must be extremely limited right now, to try to improve the first team with one or two proven players.  We certainly don’t need any more squad players/bench warmers.

The managers position should, and I’m sure is, always be under scrutiny, but for me we all got mugged into believing our first team was good enough so we stood still.  The only other excuse being the exceptional situation the club found itself in due to the pandemic.

Archived