Manager Poll

Doha

Manager Poll  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Askey in/out

• In
    • Out

52 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

I was an out guy, but I felt Askey has tried to solve our attacking issues and I felt the Stevenage game was the worst. 

After the last 3 games, less sure. Very disappointed with underperformance from the likes of Legge, Smith, Robinson and Worral but Rodney is a real find. 

Even so, I think Askey has chosen the best team we have available and using Rodney and Pope is the right call. So for me, I feel it comes down to who can be brought in to improve things in future. 

On one hand he had his chance in the summer, on the other we all felt after the excellent end to last season, we needed little change. How wrong that was! 

If JA accepts that and makes the right changes he should stay. If not, he should go. 

The likes of Phil Parkinson are not cheap and neither is paying up Askey’s recently signed deal. It may be better to wait it out and see if he can make the right choices in the next couple of transfer windows. We’re not going down, but unless Carol has loads of cash to burn, we could end up in a Norman Smurfwaite position of burning through money the club does not have on silly punts. 

Here’s hoping for a good Cup run then. Oh.....

Advert

2 hours ago, pete vale said:

Only the board know that. Problem is the season ticket money is 'done'. They may be hoping for some 'walk-up gates end of March/ april combined with hospitality.

A big decision to be made sooner rather than later, perhaps JA will get the Xmas period. it's so disappointing which leads me to believe the capitulation particularly defensively suggests deeper rooted issues within.

If this is so, then the decision is easier to make.

Recruitment has been poor, this more than anything else is the deciding factor regarding JA imo

Season ticket money is an interesting one. From my own perspective I've paid 590 for 2 season tickets yet can get ifollow for 230 because we watch the game together. Not the fault of Vale it's the fault of covid but I'm getting scammed , wonder the stance of the club on it . 

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

I was an out guy, but I felt Askey has tried to solve our attacking issues and I felt the Stevenage game was the worst. 

After the last 3 games, less sure. Very disappointed with underperformance from the likes of Legge, Smith, Robinson and Worral but Rodney is a real find. 

Even so, I think Askey has chosen the best team we have available and using Rodney and Pope is the right call. So for me, I feel it comes down to who can be brought in to improve things in future. 

On one hand he had his chance in the summer, on the other we all felt after the excellent end to last season, we needed little change. How wrong that was! 

If JA accepts that and makes the right changes he should stay. If not, he should go. 

The likes of Phil Parkinson are not cheap and neither is paying up Askey’s recently signed deal. It may be better to wait it out and see if he can make the right choices in the next couple of transfer windows. We’re not going down, but unless Carol has loads of cash to burn, we could end up in a Norman Smurfwaite position of burning through money the club does not have on silly punts. 

Wait it out? Sit through this <ovf censored> for another season and a half? No thanks. If we are to progress he needs to go. Just season after season written off with useless managers who can’t sign a proper side. Askey is for me more infuriating than the others 

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

Wait it out? Sit through this <ovf censored> for another season and a half? No thanks. If we are to progress he needs to go. Just season after season written off with useless managers who can’t sign a proper side. Askey is for me more infuriating than the others 

I’d agree except I don’t think we have the money and paying him up, when we won’t be doing anything this season seems silly. May as well see if he can turn it around and give him the push in the summer if the outcome isn’t great. 

1 minute ago, TJHValiant said:

I’d agree except I don’t think we have the money and paying him up, when we won’t be doing anything this season seems silly. May as well see if he can turn it around and give him the push in the summer if the outcome isn’t great. 

How long is his contract? If it’s past this season then it wouldn’t be any better to get rid in the summer. Finance is the issue like you say, but it could get much worse if we carry on as we are 

13 hours ago, pete vale said:

What has gone wrong since the end of October. I always did feel that even early doors we were 'scraping' results, positivity led me to believe we were picking up points and not playing so well.

There appears to be major cracks in the defence, no settled midfield or forward line, rumours  of unrest and of trouble within with a few?

All in all, Carol has set the marker, Askey has to deliver as he HAS been backed.

I'm not confident he/ we can as recruitment has again been poor with the exception of 'Rodney' described as a diamond in the making.

It's not good enough, the fans know it, Askey knows it, carol and the board know it.

Question is, what will be done about it and when?

For me decisions should have been made weeks ago.

Something has certainly gone wrong,some players dont even smile when we score,smith just doesn't look happy and thats certainly affecting his form,we have gone from a happy dressing room to goodness knows what.

Decisions do have to be made,we are 6 points off the play offs(easily catchable) but would you really wait until we are say 12 points off the play offs.

10 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

How long is his contract? If it’s past this season then it wouldn’t be any better to get rid in the summer. Finance is the issue like you say, but it could get much worse if we carry on as we are 

I believe we would have to pay up months rather than years,at this level those are the kind of clauses written into a managers contract

11 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Underperformance of Worrall? Have you been watching the same Worrall as me? 

8 minutes ago, MBE said:

What do you think is the problem?

I do know Carol gets on with Askey and does like him(that wont stop her getting rid though),its ok us as fans saying get rid now or games ago but i am guessing she hopes that he can do something to turn it around but keep losing and she wont wait until the end of the season like some think,it certainly WONT be down to not being able to afford pay him off.

I still predict he will get the Barrow game on boxing day,win that and he will remain... lose to them then...well

23 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I still predict he will get the Barrow game on boxing day,win that and he will remain... lose to them then...well

This is what I don't understand. If money is there to make a change I don't see how one result at home against a lowly side should be enough to give him time. The body of evidence before that should be enough to make the call. Its obvious we will go nowhere under JA. To me he should have gone after the Stevenage game.

For the owners I think its a question of either writing this season off or challenging for the play offs. To challenge a change is needed now to allow someone to bring in 2 or 3 lads, which I think would see us in the play offs.

16 minutes ago, MBE said:

For the owners I think its a question of either writing this season off or challenging for the play offs. To challenge a change is needed now to allow someone to bring in 2 or 3 lads, which I think would see us in the play offs.

Nah not for me. This isn't a promotion squad. Which reflects badly on Askey because he's been here nearly two years.

The season is a write off so there's no point in doing anything hasty. We'll see how the rest of the season pans out. If play-offs are out of reach in February then bring in a new manager then so he has time to look at the squad properly before a rebuild in the summer.

This squad is in need of a rebuild as not only is it not good enough for promotion it's also getting quite old in places. What's the spine? Brown - Legge - Joyce - Pope? Rodney seems to be filling Pope's shoes but otherwise we need to make strong signings and the recruitment needs to improve massively. Another words we need long term solutions not a short term fix.

2 hours ago, werstayinup said:

I do know Carol gets on with Askey and does like him(that wont stop her getting rid though),its ok us as fans saying get rid now or games ago but i am guessing she hopes that he can do something to turn it around but keep losing and she wont wait until the end of the season like some think,it certainly WONT be down to not being able to afford pay him off.

This period at Vale reminds me of times when for example Aspin, Brown and Foyle were for the 'Off'.

The only remaining question is when imo.

Football is a very strange game and things turn on what appear to be minor 'blips' that then just grow.

We looked OK attacking wise against FGR and Colchester, defensively piss poor.

For me recruitment has been appalling, this in itself could and should see the removal of JA

Archived