Match Thread: Walsall v Port Vale

I learnt from a very early age supporting Vale that Walsall was one of the teams we always struggled to beat, a real bogey side. Over the years they've beaten us twice as many times as we've beaten them and I think it was only when Mickey Adams came that we started to get the better of them.

The game that always sticks in my craw was the Boxing Day game in 1972 when we went one up through Bobby Mountford and they then had a man sent off. Odds on then to beat them except they scored twice on the break through John Woodward to finish as winners. Woodward was so impressive that Gordon Lee bought him later in the season though it wasn't enough to take us up.

This December hoping for a better result!

Advert:

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah you being the captain of that club

Glad he's figured that out, in the 11th consecutive game of no clean sheets.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Santa said:

Walsall still play 4-4-2 which is pretty old school. Their front two seem decent as well.

Perhaps their manager is a bit of a dinosaur. He didn't impress me when he played for Vale.

I looked this up as I couldn't remember him playing for the Vale.

In his only appearance for Vale he came on as an 89th minute substitute in a 3-2 victory against Walsall.

• Thanks 1

I looked this up as I couldn't remember him playing for the Vale.
In his only appearance for Vale he came on as an 89th minute substitute in a 3-2 victory against Walsall.
That's more than enough game time for a vale fan to write off one of our players

5 hours ago, Joe B said:

I quite like Walsall. Adebayo is a good forward. Holden is a good player, as is McDonald. Their attack is pretty good.

Defensively pretty sub-standard. Should be a reasonable game. A decent bet for 'Both Teams To Score' (you can combine that with a Vale win for 6/1 on SkyBet currently).

Have you seen walsalls home record from there 9 home games they have scored 8 and conceded 7. So looks like a low scoring game to me probably 1 nil to them or a 1 1 draw as we never keep clean sheets.

Advert:

15 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

Have you seen walsalls home record from there 9 home games they have scored 8 and conceded 7. So looks like a low scoring game to me probably 1 nil to them or a 1 1 draw as we never keep clean sheets.

I would normally have agreed Andy, but I have just finished an intensive  two weeks course at the School of P.O.W.  (philosophy of werstayinup). It could be tight though. Vale to edge it 4-1. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Norfolk Enclue said:

I would normally have agreed Andy, but I have just finished an intensive  two weeks course at the School of P.O.W.  (philosophy of werstayinup). It could be tight though. Vale to edge it 4-1. 

You are close my friend but lets remain positive and go 3-1 for Vale

I do actually like Clarke their manager though,did well with Bristol Rovers i thought

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Joe B said:

I quite like Walsall. Adebayo is a good forward. Holden is a good player, as is McDonald. Their attack is pretty good.

Defensively pretty sub-standard. Should be a reasonable game. A decent bet for 'Both Teams To Score' (you can combine that with a Vale win for 6/1 on SkyBet currently).

I remember Adebayo playing at vale with swindon i think it was,at the time i thought what a clumsy donkey as he was all over the place and kept tripping up but he had one chance and scored.

Have to say he has done well at walsall and only 22 but check out his full name 😮

Edited by werstayinup
  • Like 1

It would be worth signing him just for the potential sproson commentary.

I remember Adebayo playing at vale with swindon i think it was,at the time i thought what a clumsy donkey as he was all over the place and kept tripping up but he had one chance and scored.
Have to say he has done well at walsall and only 22 but check out his full name

Can see nothing but a 5:0 win on saturday!! The boys have been immense last couple of games if we find our finishing touch walsall could be in for a long afternoon and hopefully this is a turning point in our season and where we start climbing the table. Im going rodney hatrick and amoo 2 

SVA

Much better ! Tongue in cheek obviously , but you would have been closer with the Bolton result if you had gone down this route!

Won’t be long before we give someone a spanking again if we take our chances
  • Like 1

Advert:

Never fancy us at Walsall, I’d take a point however with us drawing the last two matches we really could do with winning. 
I’d probably only make one change and bring Clarke in for mills / Fitzpatrick. Legge does need a rest but last time brisley played he looked way off the pace. Hurst has done well and I don’t want us to rush players back again. Played well against forest green just need to put the ball in the net. I’ll go for 1-1 

15 hours ago, werstayinup said:

Have to say he has done well at walsall and only 22 but check out his full name 😮

Sort of striker we need. Operates exclusively in the 18 yard box. He chooses where to take his shots from very well; centrally, not too far out. Difficult to contend with due to his size. 

Again; released by a big club, given some time to bed in, and now he has 8 in 18. I will bang this drum incessantly. We need to look to these sort of players.

• Like 1

Sort of striker we need. Operates exclusively in the 18 yard box. He chooses where to take his shots from very well; centrally, not too far out. Difficult to contend with due to his size. 
Again; released by a big club, given some time to bed in, and now he has 8 in 18. I will bang this drum incessantly. We need to look to these sort of players.

Rodney? Similar players, Rodney is now scoring. Adebayo looked a right donkey in recent meetings but looked very good at Walsall in February. Raw but scores. I’d say we have a very similar player.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

Rodney? Similar players, Rodney is now scoring. Adebayo looked a right donkey in recent meetings but looked very good at Walsall in February. Raw but scores. I’d say we have a very similar player.

I think the main difference is that Adebayo is very adapt at choosing his shots; making sure he's in a good position. Rodney is still figuring that out; he pulls the trigger from anywhere, and a couple of times it's worked but more often it flies onto Smallthorne roundabout. Rodney is also more about beating his man with pace, whilst Adebayo is more of a hold up player who looks to get on the end of things closer to the nets.

Rodney will get there with good coaching, but what we like right now and a reason we're consistently struggling to capitalise on our good build-up is not having that striker 'between the posts'. Adebayo is rather good at this.

Agree on Rodney though, I quite like him.

Edited by Joe B

Advert:

I think the main difference is that Adebayo is very adapt at choosing his shots; making sure he's in a good position. Rodney is still figuring that out; he pulls the trigger from anywhere, and a couple of times it's worked but more often it flies onto Smallthorne roundabout. Rodney is also more about beating his man with pace, whilst Adebayo is more of a hold up player who looks to get on the end of things closer to the nets.
Rodney will get there with good coaching, but what we like right now and a reason we're consistently struggling to capitalise on our good build-up is not having that striker 'between the posts'. Adebayo is rather good at this.
Agree on Rodney though, I quite like him.

I agree... but is that where we have neglected Theo Robinson? He comes in a game gets dropped for a few... he’s never had a run of games but know he is a goal scoring forward as he has shown that previously? Are we too harsh on him when he’s had the odd game or odd sub appearance and no chance to get real match sharpness?
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I agree... but is that where we have neglected Theo Robinson? He comes in a game gets dropped for a few... he’s never had a run of games but know he is a goal scoring forward as he has shown that previously? Are we too harsh on him when he’s had the odd game or odd sub appearance and no chance to get real match sharpness?

It's a difficult one. I think Robinson links things up better than anyone in the squad. He just seems to disappear as a lone man. When he starts, I forget he's there. He doesn't seem to even look bothered, though this just might be the way he holds himself. 

He probably needs to be played in a two. This is part of the reason I'd like to see us work on a 352 as an alternative to our very predictable 433. 

We’ll probably have 50 shots, with 3 on target and one ending up in the back of the onion bag !!! So I’ll go for a 2-1 defeat with us conceding in the 95th minute. UTV !!!!! Merry Xmas  
Unfortunately, a very accurate assessment, wouldn't be shocked at all should this happen . Its like watching a film with a terrible ending, you know how its ends, but you still watch it over and over.