onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Walsall v Port Vale

Fosse69

5 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

We will not get promotion with Legge or Smith as our centre halves. I said it before Smith signed a new contract, that although I think he is a decent (not great) player at league two standard, he is the one constant in our demise over the last 5 years. Sometimes a change is the best thing for all concerned, and I think we need root and branch with our defence. 

True.

Too many mistakes in Smith. League two at best. Legge too slow he shouldnt be playing for us, not if we really expect promotion.

Advert

Big enough issue changing both centre backs (think it needs doing) but sending Clark back leaves us with little options with Monty out. Is Campbell out on loan? If not I’d play him. If he is recall him. Mills needs dropping and not playing again regardless of the fitness of gibbons. Either play a young lad there or smith. 
Forward wise I’d probably just bring manny in for burgess. 

2 minutes ago, dantheman said:

Not sure I agree but smith has been far of his usual best for a while now. Legge unfortunately is the victim of age and the current format not suiting older legs. Mills is miles off being what required and Clarke hasn’t hit the ground running for reasons unknown. Our strongest department has become a liability yet week in week out it’s not addressed in anyway. 

When was his usual best? The season we got relegated from league 1? The two seasons we nearly got relegated from league 2? Our defence is not good enough for a promotion challenge, and that includes Smith I’m afraid. 

2 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Spot on..

He spent money on strengthening the second 11 and nothing else.

To save the season we need mire players, again, starting with a center back as priority. 

Would you give more money to Askey. NO

New manager would also want money to spend but hopefully tactics from the bench may win us some games with the same squad. At least 4 poss 5 first team players needed before we will challenge for the playoffs but new manager needed first.

Askey out. The sooner the better.

It's a fair comment but possibly COVID forced his, and the club's, hand to a greater degree.  The manager/owners decided to stick rather than twist with the squad based on what we'd all considered a decent pool of players for division 4.

You have to admit though that we all thought our first 11 plus a new striker would be more than capable of achieving a playoff place this season.  Granted there was some concern over leads being lost late on in games but overwhelmingly we mostly saw a lack of goals being our achilles heel.

In my view Askey has signed a decent striker in Rodney.  OK, he's far from the finished article but he's definitely got a goal in him as we've seen.  What we then needed was all all the other players to perform to the same standards as last term.  However, last seasons miserly defence has been awol this season.  How many of us thought Smith re-signing was massive but he's been way off last seasons level.  Legge has been inconsistent.   The guy we lauded as "best" keeper in the division has been called into question.  Gibbo's loss has been detrimental, as Mills can't defend.  Clarke came in and he too was worse than in his last spell.  On top of this we still have too few natural goal scoreres in the team.

Some of these points are outside the control of the manager but you are right, recruitment could have been better.

I personally think nath smith is a great cb but i think he's struggling due to being partnered with legge i think legge is finished and his legs have gone and playing along side him has made smith struggle i think if brisley comes in smiths perfomances would begin to pick up

30 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

I personally think nath smith is a great cb but i think he's struggling due to being partnered with legge i think legge is finished and his legs have gone

I'm surprised to be agreeing with you mate but fair enough. Never mind one  totally rubbish full back. Nathan cleared up some dangerous stuff basically jumping into right back position first half after Mills had ballsed up. He's our left sided CB and he's having to cover our RB?

Smithy hasn't hit the heights but he's having to do the work of two/three men with Legge being off it at the moment.  

7 minutes ago, toyahw said:

I'm surprised to be agreeing with you mate but fair enough. Never mind one  totally rubbish full back. Nathan cleared up some dangerous stuff basically jumping into right back position first half after Mills had ballsed up. He's our left sided CB and he's having to cover our RB?

Smithy hasn't hit the heights but he's having to do the work of two/three men with Legge being off it at the moment.  

Exactly mate with weak full backs and a cb who is legless he doesnt stand much chance he gets dragged about cleaning up other peoples messes and that is stopping him from focusing on his own game. I just fear askey will start crookes and brisley which i dont like the look of crookes at all. 

1 minute ago, Vale1995 said:

Exactly mate with weak full backs and a cb who is legless he doesnt stand much chance he gets dragged about cleaning up other peoples messes and that is stopping him from focusing on his own game. I just fear askey will start crookes and brisley which i dont like the look of crookes at all. 

Crookes can only do one job well,  that is one of a back three.  

33 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

The lads on the Ale and Vale podcast have said in the review of the game that they have received information from a trusted source, Askey has the full confidence of Carol and is going to be allowed to flatline our season.

I really despair.

I dont know how much more i can take if thats the case

Archived