onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Walsall v Port Vale

Fosse69

Another embarrassment. Another chronic lack of bottle. Another lead lost. Another conglomeration of p***-poor defending.

When will people see the pattern?

For 2 years, we've thrown leads away. For 2 years, we haven't reacted to subs. 3 vs Colchester - no response, lead gone. 4 today - no response, lead gone. 1 sub before the 85th, and he subbed the goalscorer!!!!!!!!

We're f****** 16th in the table at Christmas! We're supposed to be going up! How can people persist with this consistently horrendous fare. 2nd bottom of the form table. 

There is no sign of things getting better. We still can't defend. We still can't protect a lead. We still don't react to in-game changes. We still leave subs too late. We still bottle easy chances.

1 win in 10 is it? 9? Out to a non-league side in the FA Cup? Humiliation, week after week after week after week after week. Michael Brown and Norman would be embarrassed by this run.

I'm well and truly fed up of Vale at present. Another Saturday of ringing my 87 year old Grandad up at full time and realising it's another season down the pan for us both.

Let's see where we end up in May! 

Advert

No mettle, no backbone, not ruthless enough to hold what we have, poor game management, easily dictated to, too passive, this is like Groundhog Day. We are nice and tidy but we don't do enough of the gamesmanship / shithousey side of the game.

I would look to be making a managerial change in the summer. The season is a write off.

I'm usually fairly calm after a match win or lose but tonight I'm fuming. Defensively that was disgraceful. There is no evidence of any coaching at all with the back four. Mills was horrific. Caught out time and time again for not the first time this season. Legge is so terrified of any one with pace he drops deeper than anyone else. The goals conceded from corners are appalling. The first half a dozen players run to the near post like schoolkids. The second the centre half is totally free. We have no idea how to defend or hold a lead. 

Then there's the subs. Walsall made four subs and changed the game. Our manager responds by making one sub which everyone can see a mile off and then takes Smith off who looks like his latest scapegoat. Askey always has great difficulty changing a game. All he seems to do I hope for the best.

The result at Bolton probably saved his job but he has to go now. We are not getting any better. Defensively we are getting worse. Clubs in better positions have sacked their manager because it wasn't working. So should we.

1 minute ago, Nofinikea said:

When Foyle was harangued he had just lost Leon and Sodje.  It was a very big task to replace those goals and I felt he was harshly treated under the circumstances.

Askey has a similar por hand being dealt at the other end.  Who would have predicted that the double act of Legge and Smith would collapse like it has?  I know Askey has to deal with it, but the catastrophic form of these two doesn't require tinkering, its a rip it up and start again job.  That doesn't happen too quickly.

Anybody that says they could see this coming is a liar.  Askey will get it sorted but replacing Legge is going to require some serious January backing.  The problem with that is, and given todays announcement and this new strain spreading faster than ever, is there too great a risk in the season being culled again to push the boat out in January?

Its dead easy sitting bashing your phones, askey this, Carol that but there is a bigger picture here that is making it difficult to confidently maneuver.  I would sit tight and hope for the best this season, nothing more.

But if he had built a decent squad he could drop Smith and Legge. The fact that he obviously doesn’t trust the understudies, Brisley and Crookes, suggests that his squad isn’t good enough. And the manager is responsible for that. It’s not about being dealt a poor hand. He picked the cards himself.

I like Leon Legge as a leader and I think Nathan Smith still has his best years ahead of him, but that's seven goals shipped in the last two away games. Something clearly isn't working. I think there has to be a shake-up now - surely Brisley and Crookes should be in consideration the starting eleven. I wouldn't say that either of the centre-back replacements are currently better than the regulars but I think there has to be a reaction to that defeat and a clear message that no-one at the back is undroppable.

Mills is a liability true but whole defence should be ashamed. Having said that there 2 reasons we lost that 1. Askeys inability to address the same  defensive issues 

2. Askeys inability to react in a match to what’s happening on the pitch

No where to hide, this “soft under belly” has been there all season and not been addressed. 

Sort it out Askey, if you are capable???!!!

The result to me was expected. The manner of the defeat was not! We really lack some steel and determination. Very unhappy with our application at the moment to many players are just not performing on a regular basis.. Desperate being a Vale fan at the mo I just can not believe what is going on.

5 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

When Foyle was harangued he had just lost Leon and Sodje.  It was a very big task to replace those goals and I felt he was harshly treated under the circumstances.

Askey has a similar por hand being dealt at the other end.  Who would have predicted that the double act of Legge and Smith would collapse like it has?  I know Askey has to deal with it, but the catastrophic form of these two doesn't require tinkering, its a rip it up and start again job.  That doesn't happen too quickly.

Anybody that says they could see this coming is a liar.  Askey will get it sorted but replacing Legge is going to require some serious January backing.  The problem with that is, and given todays announcement and this new strain spreading faster than ever, is there too great a risk in the season being culled again to push the boat out in January?

Its dead easy sitting bashing your phones, askey this, Carol that but there is a bigger picture here that is making it difficult to confidently maneuver.  I would sit tight and hope for the best this season, nothing more.

He does need to replace Legge, as well as Mills, Fitzpatrick and we need a center forward but I have no trust in him replacing them with better players. I did not foresee this as I trusted the players he brought in except Robinson would be decent and improve our team but they haven’t. And you want to give him more time and bring in more players of his choice. Sorry, but he has had the backing of the owners and he has failed miserably, Askey must go now and allow another manager to choose which players need to come in to the club. 

Archived