Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

33 minutes ago, Santa said:

This Vale side reminds me of the team from the LDV season before we signed Brooker.

There was one game that season, almost 20 years to the day, at home to Bristol City. We missed a whole host of gilt-edged chances and ended up losing 2-1.

I agree but this isnt one game this season is it. More like most games !! Thats a problem.

Advert:

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m trying to think of something worse than our defending for that goal and I’ve decided  it’s Vale1995. 

Frustrating, but can’t help feeling that, after those 6 defeats, the last 3 results represent a steadying of the ship. We’ve played 3 decent teams and have held our own. I’m feeling a bit more positiv

This is off topic but OK, "is Askey better than the current alternatives?"  And when you've answered that, please tell me why is it that fans always assume the next guy in the job will always be bette

Posted Images

I can see why people are frustrated. I am one of those. This Vale team are really trying everyone’s patience. It reminds me very much of last season when we conceded goal after goal after goal in injury time and ultimately it cost us promotion.

It’s happening again albeit on a bigger scale, the players and manager are not learning at all. One long ball over the top.....bosh goal. We fanny around with it in the opposition third almost trying to score the perfect goal. 

I think we do some daft things in terms of game management, definitely not cynical enough. Subs again... one made. Rodney flies past their left back for the goal.... when was the next time he got a direct run on him? Amoo.... how did he miss? Burgess.... likewise? 

So onto Walsall. Let me be the first one to say it, I see us conceding 2/3 there. Whether we’ll score 0, 6 or anywhere in between I have no idea.

Edited by Biddulph_PV

33 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Not enough goals between them unfortunately.

The thing is that these are gilt edged chances, clear cut, falling to numerous different players, non of whom have shown the coolness required to finish them.   Sometimes why not just place the ball? Instead we're seeing air shots, miss hits and players over hitting shots to the back of the stand.  That's why Jake Taylor stood out for us in midfield, because he knew where the net was.

It's a real shame to be critical beause the last few games have been great to watch, so full marks to the players for their efforts and some of the quality of our play in ceating the chances.  Defensively we still have a mistake in us which makes it edge of the seat stuff.

Without wishing to depress anyone, imagine that game with fans in it.....would've been a great atmosphere.  Sometime next year maybe.  Can't effin' wait for it.

You are right. Great games to watch, once you have calmed down afterwards.

Too many players lack goals, even the missing players tonight fail to score regularly.

Yes the defence looks poor sometimes but could this really be nerves because every mistake is costing us and we really should be out of sight in some games before the mistakes happen

• Like 1

Advert:

10 hours ago, Ron C said:

Sign me up. I absolutely believe he will, given time and backing.

Even if we only end up with mediocrity this season then that will be a couple of seasons that he has finished higher than all other triers in the previous decade.

You need to be careful what you are wishing for.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, 'he's better than Bruno, Brown, and Aspin' is a weak endorsement of Askey, I must say.

We do need to stop comparing him to Norman-era managers. I can't see Carol ever appointing anyone like those three.

The question is not 'is Askey better than what we've had?', as I reckon a monkey in a Vale tracksuit would have been an improvement, but 'is Askey better than the current alternatives?'.

This isn't me saying he needs to go (as that's a futile exercise as Carol won't sack him), but just to escape the cognitive shackles of the Smurthwaite era, which is thankfully in the rear-view mirror and no longer the standard to judge ourselves on.

Edited by Joe B

1 hour ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

After that terrible run of defeats who, honestly, expected Vale to take 5 points from the last 3 league games against fancied teams?I didn't!Note who is missing tonight too!Well done Vale.

In fairness, we generally do better against the better teams. Poor sides like Morecambe we really struggle with unless we score early. Against the sides that go into the game wanting to win we usually play well. We've played some lovely football in the last couple of home games in the league and created plenty, yet have so little for our rewards. I've given Askey plenty of stick lately, most of it I feel justified, but he hasn't done much wrong over the last week or two, and neither have the players to be fair other than switching off in defence at times. It's frustrating to keep missing so many good chances, but I'd much rather see us missing them than not making them at all which has been the case previously.

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 3

Someone put earlier in the thread about our performance in both boxes , that pretty much sums us up

No cutting edge , another night of not hitting the target and at the back both full backs are not up to it I’m afraid . Leon legge and smith are struggling for consistency also

We also seem to struggle to keep a lead more than 10 minutes , I think that’s the 4th game where we have taken the lead but surrender it easily and quickly

This January is very important if we are not to finish mid table

1 minute ago, vale victory said:

Someone put earlier in the thread about our performance in both boxes , that pretty much sums us up

No cutting edge , another night of not hitting the target and at the back both full backs are not up to it I’m afraid . Leon legge and smith are struggling for consistency also

We also seem to struggle to keep a lead more than 10 minutes , I think that’s the 4th game where we have taken the lead but surrender it easily and quickly

This January is very important if we are not to finish mid table

9 points in December before then.

Advert:

24 minutes ago, Joe B said:

The question is not 'is Askey better than what we've had?', as I reckon a monkey in a Vale tracksuit would have been an improvement, but 'is Askey better than the current alternatives?'.

This is off topic but OK, "is Askey better than the current alternatives?"  And when you've answered that, please tell me why is it that fans always assume the next guy in the job will always be better?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

I agree but this isnt one game this season is it. More like most games !! Thats a problem.

It wasn't one game that season either, but that one just stood out in my memory.

I think we ended up playing George O'Callaghan up front for a couple of games around that time (Wrexham on Boxing Day) because we literally had no-one to play alongside Naylor.

The defense needs to change, Askey keeps saying it... you won’t win if you keep conceding yet he is still doing the same things, picking the same players, playing the same way when defending....

And guess what... we still concede, he’s got to change it!

Legge needs a rest, we need a forward that can play in the centre week in week out... it really baffles me that he raves about Rodney, but then plays him on the wing... I get that injuries may mean he plays him out of position, but COME ON John Askey... last week you were saying playing central is his best position!!!! Play someone else out wide or play a different bloody formation....

Insanity every week... play the same way, get much the same result.

Yeah the performance was better, yeah we created loads of Chances... but again we didn’t win - 1 win in 9, it speaks for itself.

• Like 2

Advert:

2 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

This is off topic but OK, "is Askey better than the current alternatives?"  And when you've answered that, please tell me why is it that fans always assume the next guy in the job will always be better?

Its not about assuming that getting someone else in will automatically make us better because that is not a gurantee the question is can somebody else get more from this group of players personally i feel like they could. Is there someone out there that is more suited into turning us into a promotion side i think there more than likely is. There is a risk by changing it but personally think it would be worth taking that risk if the club is financially able too. We look a bang average league 2 outfit and are destined for a mid table finish of winning a game then dropping points in the next few then winning again. I think the recruitment has been dreadful this year. From what is sounds like we missed out on a lot of transfer targets this window and you have to question why that is. 

id love askey to make me eat my words and turn it around but i just dont see us putting in a run of results. We have so many players that perform well once in 5 games and to get out of this league thats not good enough. 

bolton are now ahead of us on points after there woeful start to the season it really highlights how bad we have been that after 18 games they are now ahead of us in the table. If we dont get a win in our 3 games remaining in 2020 i think carol has a big decision on her hands. With a transfer window is it a time to get someone new in and give them the opportunity to sign a few players and turn it around. Or back askey and get some more of his signings in which bar a couple have all turned out to be terrible. 

Tell you what we created and missed a lot of chances ,really enjoyed our display going forwards it was well worth the ten pounds as Forest Green were decent also .

I felt we deserved win that and we deserved win sat last night I see Leon Legge is the culprit for the loss of 3 points in most folks eyes well i will tell who's fault it was it was Conlons he tried to be clever and lost the ball they played a finely measured ball forwards and there goalscorer took it with aplomb .

ILL probably miss half the chances out but most of them were very good ones,Hurst ,Burgess Twice ,Conlon twice ,Amoo we played such good football  we deserved six by our name the fact we got one was in my opinion a travesty .

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner
Spelling mistake
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

The quality of askeys signings is dreadful we will be lucky to finish mid table with this team

Oh hello,how are you we have been worried,not really heard off you when we were playing well in the last couple of games 😉