Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Advert:

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m trying to think of something worse than our defending for that goal and I’ve decided  it’s Vale1995. 

Frustrating, but can’t help feeling that, after those 6 defeats, the last 3 results represent a steadying of the ship. We’ve played 3 decent teams and have held our own. I’m feeling a bit more positiv

This is off topic but OK, "is Askey better than the current alternatives?"  And when you've answered that, please tell me why is it that fans always assume the next guy in the job will always be bette

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

The team have shown what they can do at Bolton.  When it clicks (defence/midfield/up front) and lady luck is back on side, we will start winning comfortably as well.  The team need to start taking more of the chances they create and that will give them more confidence.

Vale could have easily scored 4 tonight!!

6 minutes ago, Moz said:

What rubbish. First, 1+2+6=9. Second, you could say 1W and 2D in the last three against fancied sides. Askey's our man and he'll be a success if we get behind him and the team.

Sorry Moz I will use my abacus next time😀

We are a decent L2 side except from either penalty box. We have been plagued by poor defensive moments in almost every home game, all preventable due to individual errors, yet the same players are picked. We don't have enough goals in the team and we continue to sit down the two players signed in pre season for goals. The in game management of our subs is just ridiculous. We don't make changes when players are clearly starting to struggle and just keep leaving it and leaving it.Its really poor in game management.

We will be competitive in every game under JA but we are going nowhere whilst he is in charge.We should be challenging towards the top 3 of this really poor league. Its not been good enough this season.

Advert:

Two points dropped...

Another good performance tonight, but the lack of cutting edge has cost us again. How many times have we said that this season? 

Plenty of positives to take from tonight, regardless of the result. Hurst played well again, he understandably tired before being taken off. He’s certainly a rough diamond, and someone I’d be willing to stick with. Rodney is a handful and we are slowly seeing his true potential. 

As a whole, I thought we probably edged the game. FGR are a good side; they will be there or thereabouts come May. 

We need to start finishing our chances or else this season is in serious doubt of fizzling out. 

Just now, ELDERBEZZA said:

Vale could have easily scored 4 tonight!!

It sounded like more on the ifollow radio commentary.  But so could have FGR as well.  When they start taking more of the chances it will give them confidence and all the team will benefit from it.

Advert:

This Vale side reminds me of the team from the LDV season before we signed Brooker.

There was one game that season, almost 20 years to the day, at home to Bristol City. We missed a whole host of gilt-edged chances and ended up losing 2-1.

24 minutes ago, Moz said:

What rubbish. First, 1+2+6=9. Second, you could say 1W and 2D in the last three against fancied sides. Askey's our man and he'll be a success if we get behind him and the team.

Why is he? We’re meant to be a ‘fancied side’ Colchester aren’t - lost all they’re decent players in the summer 

6 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A Forest Green fan rates us as one of the better teams they've faced this season.

Keep playing like this and wins will come.

Not sure I agree. 
we played very well no doubting that. But until we sign someone who can put the ball in the net we will lose more than we win. Add the defence into that as well 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Yes, you're right - but Worrall and Oyeleke have so few goals in them.

And that's the problem.

Not enough goals between them unfortunately.

The thing is that these are gilt edged chances, clear cut, falling to numerous different players, non of whom have shown the coolness required to finish them.   Sometimes why not just place the ball? Instead we're seeing air shots, miss hits and players over hitting shots to the back of the stand.  That's why Jake Taylor stood out for us in midfield, because he knew where the net was.

It's a real shame to be critical beause the last few games have been great to watch, so full marks to the players for their efforts and some of the quality of our play in ceating the chances.  Defensively we still have a mistake in us which makes it edge of the seat stuff.

Without wishing to depress anyone, imagine that game with fans in it.....would've been a great atmosphere.  Sometime next year maybe.  Can't effin' wait for it.

• Like 1

Advert:

27 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

The worry is when we play the lower league teams it seems to fall to bits and we loose the game.  They sit back and just defend and Vale don't seem to know how to beat them.  Teams that want to attack we look good. 

The team is trying and you can't take that away from them, but we can't seem to take some of the easy chances.  Before someone says we scored 6 against Bolton.  Yes we did but that was a weird game and one off.  Things clicked in the team and that's the frustrating bit for the fans - they have shown us a glimpse of what they can produce.

The defence/midfield seem to still be celebrating a Vale goal and forget to defend and we find ourselves level pegged.

Yeah, still lots wrong, and I’ve had to lower my back expectations, and I definitely agree that we are terrible when playing against teams who are defensively set up, and I still think Askey’s summer recruitment of strikers was poor, Rodney apart. But... at least we’re not losing!

That was a high quality game of football from both teams and a joy to watch.

Our formation and starting line up was pretty good and considering Woz would usually play in the position that Burgess played and we've still got the likes of Amoo, Monty and Manny to pick from too, I'm feeling quite positive. 

1 - 1 against a good team is ok, although we still should have scored more but having Pope up front will start to turn results our way, assuming JA sticks with him now for a run of games. 

24 minutes ago, gags 64 said:

We're starting to look more non league than top 7 material. So many individual errors. Yes we missed chances but we have so many players that are lucky to be playing at a level this high

I have no faith in us keeping a clean sheet. Both central defenders were average. We have no pace in the back four. I'd rather see Mitch Clark in, Mills is not of league 2 standard

Very frustrating

Yes, I'd rather see Mitch Clark in but tonight Mills was left isolated on the right and overloaded by their attacks. That left Legge to come over, time after time, drawing him out of position, while our midfield left Mills to it. The sooner we get Gibbo back the better.