onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Fosse69

Advert

6 hours ago, werstayinup said:

Sounds daft but we do have players who can score,its do we have those players who can play as that lone man and score... so if we are to bring one in then we have to find one who can do that in our system,other than that we have to try and spread the goals around,we have had enough chances to win 10 games over the last 2

Those chances in the last few games have been spread throughout the team. Pope didnt have many chances, Rodney before him didnt have too many. One up front leaves five other midfield / wide men on the pitch. They will have chances and they will have to score goals.

I am not a lover of one up front and two wide men but the last few games have given us a hatful of chances. Problem is we dont have goal scorers in those positions. Cannot fault Worral, Conlan, Manny, Hurst, Amoo, Burgess etcetc for their general play and effort / work rate but to me they will never score enough goals during a season.

Playing one up front as the main striker / goalscorer means that he must score 25 + goals a season to get us promoted. Even then i think we would need to win 10 games at 1  0   to ensure victory. Defence is suspect and Brown and the lone striker would have to be joint player of the year.

This year Conlan should have been on 6/8 goals already, who needs Taylor we would be saying. All the others mentioned above regularly miss good chances. They are not goal scorers.

Lets just get that lone striker In Jan. Simples. Chances will still fall to the other five players ?

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

Just an observation on my part, but it’s probably because it seems that the vast majority that you do post is negative and only when things don’t go too well for us.

Which is a regular occurrence hence why so many negative posts in the last month we have the form of a team going out of the football league so excuse my lack of positivity 

Weve picked up 5 points from a possible 24 since losing to kings lynn a good performance but not getting 3 points is good enough for some of you but i dont think that is good enough. 
its not unlucky the amount of chances we miss its down to the ability of the players we have and we dont have anyone whos going to score us ten goals and that is on mr askeys head through his recruitment 

17 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Which is a regular occurrence hence why so many negative posts in the last month we have the form of a team going out of the football league so excuse my lack of positivity 

That form has been halted,  some development  players brought in are now showing their potential.  Players brought in based on last season`s performance  are not yet living up to that. Clubs that spend £100M a year does not ensure that all signings perform for various reasons.  Unless L1/2 clubs are in serious trouble do not expect many player moves, nor management changes in a Covid 19 season.

18 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Weve picked up 5 points from a possible 24 since losing to kings lynn a good performance but not getting 3 points is good enough for some of you but i dont think that is good enough. 
its not unlucky the amount of chances we miss its down to the ability of the players we have and we dont have anyone whos going to score us ten goals and that is on mr askeys head through his recruitment 

Rodney will score 10 goals

I do feel we perhaps rotated our strikers more than needed and only Rodney has started a decent run. Pope has not featured much, and Cullen and Robertson got axed for poor performances..

When I look at other clubs, they seem to stick with the same guys unless injured.

I would do what others have suggested, stick with Pope and Rodney upfront and maybe sub Pope if he shows signs of getting tired. 

Since half time at Orient we’ve pretty much battered everyone continuously bar the key final part... burying the chances. Can’t blame Askey there he is having us attack and create but be it confidence or what we are not taking them.
I've been saying this we are playing some of the best football I've seen in my fourty odd years of watching but it all means nothing if we can't score and keep making individual errors. Askey is not to blame but unfortunately the buck stops with him

26 minutes ago, dishydave said:
2 hours ago, valefan16 said:
Since half time at Orient we’ve pretty much battered everyone continuously bar the key final part... burying the chances. Can’t blame Askey there he is having us attack and create but be it confidence or what we are not taking them.

I've been saying this we are playing some of the best football I've seen in my fourty odd years of watching but it all means nothing if we can't score and keep making individual errors. Askey is not to blame but unfortunately the buck stops with him

Some of the best football youve seen in 40 years of watching- i think lockdown has sent you crackers 😂

6 hours ago, osprey said:

Seems Forest Green prefer our shirts to theirs ( Sentinel photo )

image.png.3caabf784bda4ba781cbcf140137d994.png

They looked like Sjoke defending last night. They were at it all over the park....their left back decided the best way to try and combat Rodders was to give him some "My Dad's bigger than your Dad...yeah, yeah"

From the corners the ref was watching it but did nowt. Smiffy got flattened very early on in the first half at a corner and their CH and skipper just laughed.

In that shot you could probably say it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other with Popey but who's got Smiffy's shirt?

They looked like Sjoke defending last night. They were at it all over the park....their left back decided the best way to try and combat Rodders was to give him some "My Dad's bigger than your Dad...yeah, yeah"
From the corners the ref was watching it but did nowt. Smiffy got flattened very early on in the first half at a corner and their CH and skipper just laughed.
In that shot you could probably say it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other with Popey but who's got Smiffy's shirt?

Their skipper, the guy directly on left of their keeper is pulling Smiths shirt. He’s not even looking anywhere near the ball

Their skipper, the guy directly on left of their keeper is pulling Smiths shirt. He’s not even looking anywhere near the ball

Maybe we need to go for skin tight Lycra shirts so there is nothing to grab ( don’t think Pope would be in favour though )

2 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

I do feel we perhaps rotated our strikers more than needed and only Rodney has started a decent run. Pope has not featured much, and Cullen and Robertson got axed for poor performances..

When I look at other clubs, they seem to stick with the same guys unless injured.

I would do what others have suggested, stick with Pope and Rodney upfront and maybe sub Pope if he shows signs of getting tired. 

I said that a striker needs a run of games even if it was Robinson,a striker needs that run as if they are in one week and out the next it does nothing for confidence or fitness with having no reserve team

Considering Rodney struggles so much with the fundamentals of football (first touch and decision making), I've been really impressed with him in the last 3 games.

He had their left back on toast for the goal last night. He won a penalty vs Bolton, assisted Monty vs Bolton, scored vs Colchester, and assisted again last night.

Has 5 goals in all comps despite only featuring in 50% of the minutes available to him and has played on both wings and up top. His ability to breeze past players is very enjoyable.

He's on for double figures and is proving quite versatile. Pleased with the signing. We should be working every day on his touch and ensure Pope passes on all tricks of hold up play before he moves on. 

There's every chance he doesn't get to the level we hope but the signs are there that he could do. He needs minutes, luck with injuries, and the backing of the management when he inevitably has a dodgy spell. 

Wish we'd make a couple more signings like him; high-potential, low-risk, needs the minutes and trust.

Archived