onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Fosse69

9 hours ago, gags 64 said:

I'm saying bottom half with one eye on those below, certainly not play offs

So we are bottom half/non league? silly comment imo but you are entitled to it

We wont finish in the bottom half i am certain of that,will we be top 7 thats debatable but we can still do it,loads of teams have good runs after christmas(i hope thats us),i stick by what i say that if we are around 6 points outside on the 1st of January then we do have a great chance depending on if we can bring a couple of players  in and ditch those he wont play

Advert

9 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Not sure I agree. 
we played very well no doubting that. But until we sign someone who can put the ball in the net we will lose more than we win. Add the defence into that as well 

Sounds daft but we do have players who can score,its do we have those players who can play as that lone man and score... so if we are to bring one in then we have to find one who can do that in our system,other than that we have to try and spread the goals around,we have had enough chances to win 10 games over the last 2

9 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

This is off topic but OK, "is Askey better than the current alternatives?"  And when you've answered that, please tell me why is it that fans always assume the next guy in the job will always be better?

Did you read what I said? I've spent the entire thread stating how well we played and results will come.

I clearly said I wasn't asking for him to be sacked. Literally right there.

I just said the initial argument (that Askey should stay because he's better than Brown, Aspin, and Bruno) is a poor one, and a better argument is 'Askey is the best we could get at present'. Was a point that if you're arguing to keep Askey in, don't make it easy for people who want him gone, as it's easily refuted, because literally any professional manager is better than those three.

Classic OVF. Read something, misinterpret it (wilfully or through poor comprehension skills), argue against the misinterpretation, and wheel away in celebration, strawman successfully rebutted, people stumbling over each other to throw a 'like' react at a post which successfully defeats an argument that never existed.

4 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

With regards to the Askey in or out debate, i'm an in.

Take a look at the odds for the Bradford job, some truly scary candidates with Sol Campbell the favourite.

As a controversial point, Sol Campbell is nowhere near as bad as people like to believe he is (not saying he's good).

The bloke took jobs at the two most shambolic clubs in the league, one of which no longer exists and the other going the same way (and looking at Southend, it doesn't seem Campbell was the problem, or at least was one of many).

His win % is very poor but context is key; when he took over at Macc they were dead and buried. It was over. Was a minor miracle keeping them alive. The very knowledgeable lads on the 'Not the Top 20' podcast think he gets a very harsh ride, and I agree.

I don't like the bloke, think he's an obnoxious clown, but I remember being very impressed with how decent Macc looked against us considering they had won 2 out of 19 on arrival. I don't think Bradford should appoint him but also don't think he's this comically bad manager that many would love him to be.

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Sounds daft but we do have players who can score,its do we have those players who can play as that lone man and score... so if we are to bring one in then we have to find one who can do that in our system,other than that we have to try and spread the goals around,we have had enough chances to win 10 games over the last 2

That’s the other issue though. A lot of our big chances are falling to the midfielders and they seem hopeless in front of goal. I think we need a forward in jan that knows where the net is, Taylor back and then a Cb that improves us. Very difficult in January however I think it’s now or never with this squad and waiting until the summer may be too late as I can’t see players like legge and pope being able to go again next season at a decent level 

Enjoyable game last night

We should have won, we could have lost.

Key thing is that we are now creating chances and that was without Worrell and Montano who I thought before the game were going to be a big miss.

Despite some posters having a big downer on Askey I don’t see what more he could have done last night or Saturday other than run on the pitch and kick the ball into the net himself- team was set up to win, played well, made chances - just didn’t take them

The last 9 home games we have 9 points.

Not fortress Vale park by any imagination. 

But we have won 50% of our away games.

Stats can mislead at times but after last years tremendous home form, we are now seemingly under pressure to perform away, starting at Walsall who are bang in form before we play 4 of the struggling teams back to back over Crimbo and New Year . 

Archived