onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Fosse69

Doing my head in . The nearly men.

I totally get the ' we are playing well ' , because we are.

However one win in eight when we are playing well doesn't bode well for when performance drops off. 

Until we get back to near normality if this vaccine is a success I'm losing the enthusiasm week by week. 

The truly awful ifollow with Crewe commentary until about 10 seconds into our game and the boring ramblings of Radio Stoke. 

Roll on August, totally cheesed off. 

Fair play to the Bolton fans who somehow got in the Cheltenham end tonight and had a good old mental in the 90th minute. Not quite the same in your living room is it. 

Totally cheesed off

Advert

2 minutes ago, Ron C said:

Even if we only end up with mediocrity this season then that will be a couple of seasons that he has finished higher than all other triers in the previous decade.

I understand where you are coming from Ron but the club is in a very different place now from when we had triers.

1 minute ago, Ron C said:

Sign me up. I absolutely believe he will, given time and backing.

Even if we only end up with mediocrity this season then that will be a couple of seasons that he has finished higher than all other triers in the previous decade.

You need to be careful what you are wishing for.

Good evening Ron C,

I hope you are well on this December evening.

Ron C seems like a man that one could enjoy spending time with as he clearly loves a strong drop. In the previous decade glory was returned to the streets of Burslem via Michael Richard Adams.

One wishes for glory to be returned to the streets of Burslem again.

All the very best Ron,

Jeff.

4 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I found this recent photograph of Jeff. 

image.jpeg.c018e9addcf3864b0560225dab913ea6.jpeg

Good evening Jacko,

As ever, I hope one is well. 

It's always a pleasure to be greeted by your presence, one would say it even makes one's day in these troubled times.

One wishes you all the very best throughout the festive period.

Jeff.

4 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Starting to think a decent centre back is becoming more of a priority than a striker or midfielder.

We are hopelessly exposed for pace when Legge gets pulled out wide. It has happened time and again at home. Its Ok playing away because the full backs don't push up anywhere near as much so he can sit in the middle and be a head on stick which he is still great at.

We either need to sign a right sided centre back with pace or change the way we are playing.

29 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

Two points dropped...

Another good performance tonight, but the lack of cutting edge has cost us again. How many times have we said that this season? 

Plenty of positives to take from tonight, regardless of the result. Hurst played well again, he understandably tired before being taken off. He’s certainly a rough diamond, and someone I’d be willing to stick with. Rodney is a handful and we are slowly seeing his true potential. 

As a whole, I thought we probably edged the game. FGR are a good side; they will be there or thereabouts come May. 

We need to start finishing our chances or else this season is in serious doubt of fizzling out. 

Too true

Very good performance, except for scoring goals. Trouble is its a number of players that are failing us. Its not the system, certainly not the last few home games. These players just do not have goals in them.

Poor Legge performance again. Terrible goal to give away. Its the first 11 we need to look at replacing. Legge, Joyce, Pope all to be replaced with first team players before we see promotion. Not this season i am afraid.

Hurst, Mills,Fitzpatrick DO strengthen the squad. Had decent games to be fair and could all play again when needed. 

Yes you say FGR are a good team. I think that 10 teams are all decent teams. Nothing special but too many teams who will finish above us. 

Praise to Rodney who had another good game tonight. We need more than him up front though. We should play two up front but i am afraid Askey will not look at that.. Well done Rodney

33 minutes ago, Santa said:

This Vale side reminds me of the team from the LDV season before we signed Brooker.

There was one game that season, almost 20 years to the day, at home to Bristol City. We missed a whole host of gilt-edged chances and ended up losing 2-1.

I agree but this isnt one game this season is it. More like most games !! Thats a problem.

I can see why people are frustrated. I am one of those. This Vale team are really trying everyone’s patience. It reminds me very much of last season when we conceded goal after goal after goal in injury time and ultimately it cost us promotion.

It’s happening again albeit on a bigger scale, the players and manager are not learning at all. One long ball over the top.....bosh goal. We fanny around with it in the opposition third almost trying to score the perfect goal. 

I think we do some daft things in terms of game management, definitely not cynical enough. Subs again... one made. Rodney flies past their left back for the goal.... when was the next time he got a direct run on him? Amoo.... how did he miss? Burgess.... likewise? 

So onto Walsall. Let me be the first one to say it, I see us conceding 2/3 there. Whether we’ll score 0, 6 or anywhere in between I have no idea.

33 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Not enough goals between them unfortunately.

The thing is that these are gilt edged chances, clear cut, falling to numerous different players, non of whom have shown the coolness required to finish them.   Sometimes why not just place the ball? Instead we're seeing air shots, miss hits and players over hitting shots to the back of the stand.  That's why Jake Taylor stood out for us in midfield, because he knew where the net was.

It's a real shame to be critical beause the last few games have been great to watch, so full marks to the players for their efforts and some of the quality of our play in ceating the chances.  Defensively we still have a mistake in us which makes it edge of the seat stuff.

Without wishing to depress anyone, imagine that game with fans in it.....would've been a great atmosphere.  Sometime next year maybe.  Can't effin' wait for it.

You are right. Great games to watch, once you have calmed down afterwards.

Too many players lack goals, even the missing players tonight fail to score regularly.

Yes the defence looks poor sometimes but could this really be nerves because every mistake is costing us and we really should be out of sight in some games before the mistakes happen

10 hours ago, Ron C said:

Sign me up. I absolutely believe he will, given time and backing.

You need to be careful what you are wishing for.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, 'he's better than Bruno, Brown, and Aspin' is a weak endorsement of Askey, I must say.

We do need to stop comparing him to Norman-era managers. I can't see Carol ever appointing anyone like those three.

The question is not 'is Askey better than what we've had?', as I reckon a monkey in a Vale tracksuit would have been an improvement, but 'is Askey better than the current alternatives?'.

This isn't me saying he needs to go (as that's a futile exercise as Carol won't sack him), but just to escape the cognitive shackles of the Smurthwaite era, which is thankfully in the rear-view mirror and no longer the standard to judge ourselves on.

1 hour ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

After that terrible run of defeats who, honestly, expected Vale to take 5 points from the last 3 league games against fancied teams?I didn't!Note who is missing tonight too!Well done Vale.

In fairness, we generally do better against the better teams. Poor sides like Morecambe we really struggle with unless we score early. Against the sides that go into the game wanting to win we usually play well. We've played some lovely football in the last couple of home games in the league and created plenty, yet have so little for our rewards. I've given Askey plenty of stick lately, most of it I feel justified, but he hasn't done much wrong over the last week or two, and neither have the players to be fair other than switching off in defence at times. It's frustrating to keep missing so many good chances, but I'd much rather see us missing them than not making them at all which has been the case previously.

Someone put earlier in the thread about our performance in both boxes , that pretty much sums us up

No cutting edge , another night of not hitting the target and at the back both full backs are not up to it I’m afraid . Leon legge and smith are struggling for consistency also

We also seem to struggle to keep a lead more than 10 minutes , I think that’s the 4th game where we have taken the lead but surrender it easily and quickly

This January is very important if we are not to finish mid table

Archived