onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Fosse69

We need to do just one thing in the January window and - easier said than done, I know - that's find a goalscoring midfielder. So frustrating to watch so much attacking play, sublime at times, and then have no one to put it in the net. We simply don't have the goals in our current midfield.

This keeps us in mid table and, unless, we can solve the problem, that's where we'll stay. 

Advert

The players/management can come out and wax lyrical about another decent performance, and 'dust themselves down', but the repetitive nature of them has to be raising alarm bells.

We're a great team in the middle third and an average-poor team in the other two thirds. 

As I've said, I don't think we're far off. But as long as we insist on overplaying it in the box, panicking when shooting, and switching off just after scoring. we're going to become very comfortable in mid-table.

a decent performance with a weakened team, but we should have done so much better. Issues with the attack, issues with the defence. Last season we were stuck in 8th, but this season we will be stuck in 12th without 2 decent signings in January

1 minute ago, grand prix pants said:

Frustrating, but can’t help feeling that, after those 6 defeats, the last 3 results represent a steadying of the ship. We’ve played 3 decent teams and have held our own. I’m feeling a bit more positive.

Definitely a good response from the November debacle. Performances have been good and I've enjoyed the games, with Rodney flourishing. 

However, we've got to start being crafty bast**** and seeing these things out. 

Also... loads of injuries, 3 games in a week, and we make 1 sub? Robinson, Clark, McKirdy on the bench???

2 minutes ago, ItsPricey said:

Put a real shift in tonight but its so frustrating to waste so many good chances, we just lack that bit of quality in the final third. Hopefully Oyeleke and Worrall will be back soon

Yes, you're right - but Worrall and Oyeleke have so few goals in them.

And that's the problem.

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

The players/management can come out and wax lyrical about another decent performance, and 'dust themselves down', but the repetitive nature of them has to be raising alarm bells.

We're a great team in the middle third and an average-poor team in the other two thirds. 

As I've said, I don't think we're far off. But as long as we insist on overplaying it in the box, panicking when shooting, and switching off just after scoring. we're going to become very comfortable in mid-table.

For a minute I though iFollow was just showing a re-run from Saturday. 

Great work rate, changes created but again we can't put the ball in the back of the net or defend properly. Worrying thing is we are playing as well as we possibly can and we still can''t win.

Sorry Lost  1W 2D L6 in last 8 nowhere near go enough.  JA needs to be relieved of his duties sooner rather than later before this season is another write off.

So frustrating!@@@ had enough chances tonight to win 3 games. We desperately need a striker, but the most disappointing thing is, another long ball over the top and bang an equalizer. After I've calmed down I will realise that that was a good performance against one of the best teams in the league, but it feels like another 2 points thrown away. We look like a very good league 2 team, just the final piece of the jigsaw is missing.

I actually enjoyed the game, I thought we played reall well and if we had scored 3 or 4, Forest Green could not have complained.  It was really frustrating, if we had a quality striker out there tonight, it would have been a comfortable 3 points.  

I know we were on top most of the game but to use only 1 sub goes to prove that Askey does not rate Mckirdy or Robinson, I am no fan of Robinson, a complete waste of a signing but he should have been on for Pope with 20 minutes to go.

Performances have picked up in the last few games but it is 1 win in 8 league games which is not what a team wants to challenge would expect.  Another tough game on Saturday, we really need to get some results soon before we start to get 7/8 points behind the play offs.

I've been saying for a while now, play Worrall as an attacking midfielder and not as a wide man. You can have two from Joyce, Oyeleke, Burgess and Conlon behind him, and play Rodney and Amoo out wide. Worrall has good movement and although we might miss him whipping balls into the box from out wide a little bit, it's not like we score plenty of goals from that tactic anyway. 

Cullen is always going to be too small and too slow, Pope will have his moments but they are becoming less and less for obvious reasons, and Robinson clearly isn't the answer either. But get Worrall running off Pope as much as possible and it might give Dave and us a few more goals over the season.

Just now, grand prix pants said:

Frustrating, but can’t help feeling that, after those 6 defeats, the last 3 results represent a steadying of the ship. We’ve played 3 decent teams and have held our own. I’m feeling a bit more positive.

The worry is when we play the lower league teams it seems to fall to bits and we loose the game.  They sit back and just defend and Vale don't seem to know how to beat them.  Teams that want to attack we look good. 

The team is trying and you can't take that away from them, but we can't seem to take some of the easy chances.  Before someone says we scored 6 against Bolton.  Yes we did but that was a weird game and one off.  Things clicked in the team and that's the frustrating bit for the fans - they have shown us a glimpse of what they can produce.

The defence/midfield seem to still be celebrating a Vale goal and forget to defend and we find ourselves level pegged.

Archived