onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Fosse69

Toughest game left this year. All but two of FGR`s league games have been by the odd goal if not a draw. Not a big difference to us, so expecting a close result either way. Injuries to our wingers mounting, Amoo, Montano, and Worrall, so can Hurst manage another game so soon? Or a different formation forced upon us? Fingers crossed for an early Xmas.

Advert

FGR generally play on the deck with build up play which seems to suit us, and our defensive issues have more been to long balls over the top catching us out.

It’s the type of game we generally have been winning under Askey so despite their position and away form it wouldn’t surprise me if we produce the goods in this.

We will win this I feel .

Hows Montano is he ready to go and play if so that a nice selection dilemma for the manager .

Hurst did very well on sat for the majority of the game as did Conlon (to me plays well for a hr then becomes quite ineffective in latter stages of games especially at home  

Is it our pitch who knows it probably is .

Team well there is much change thought Mills going forwards was a delight watch ,fitzpatrick is a good footballer who passes it well .

Rodney is doing very well but if Hurst is putting the quality of ball in he was yesterday on tues if selected then Pope has to  be in the teamas he would bury them crosses so we need possibly both in the team but not  at the expense of Worrall or Hurst 

Mckirdy I think would be good in Conlons position after all sat he was facing there left back  and should have tried to go past him but decided run inside where Colchester had 6/7 players waiting for him so he obviously ain't a winger as that was mega negative ,so if he does get 20 mins at end of game it's for Conlon no one else in my opinion .

So hopefully we bury our chances and do what good sides do defend well as a team .

We need a run of decent results over the next three weeks, otherwise the season will be dead by January. 

We're generally playing well but we need to take our chances. I feel sorry for Rodders up front on his own. It's a tough role to play and he's not all that experienced. 

I'd drop Manny for Pope and go two up front at home, try and take some of the chances we create. 

I reckon Pope and Rodney as an attacking partnership could terrify defences in this league! 

Also, if Joyce keeps picking silly, needless yellow cards up,  I'd sub him immediately for Manny, who usually impresses me when he's the main midfielder in a slightly deeper role. Hopefully Manny will improve over the coming weeks and stop giving away possession so cheaply all the time, sharpen up a bit now he's got a few games under his belt. We need him back to his best.

It'd be great to see Hurst maintain the performance level he gave on Saturday. Above all, I hope Woz is fit to play. 

8 hours ago, Santa said:

(puts tin hat on) FGR generally do good numbers on the old xG so this will be a tough old game.

They're good in all aspects. Nailed their summer business with Jamille Matt and Nicky Cadden (they've recruited well for a while).

They'll want to keep the ball which suits us, but their quality will hurt our currently porous defence. 

17 hours ago, Emile said:

Mckirdy needs a bit of game time, he's ample good enough back up for our best wingers. 

I dont rate him at all. Too lightweight, loses position ( and possession ) seen nothing so far that makes me think he is an asset to the team in League matches. 

For FG game I really hope Worrell and Monty are fit plus Amoo possibly on the bench. We will need goals as I dont think we can bank on a clean sheet. 

Lose again tonight and it's 9 defeats already. It leaves us with so little margin for error for the rest of the season. We'll need to put together top 5 form to be in with a chance of the playoffs.

Positives are FGR play football which suit us; open, on the ground, try to entertain. 

Bad news is that they're actually pretty decent at it, and have the quality to slice open our porous defence.

I think we can win; weirder things have happened. We simply have to defend better. If you concede good chances to Jamille Matt he's going to punish us. 

One bit of bad news; they defend fairly deep, which is anathema to our attacking play. They don't concede many chances from open play, with the centre of the pitch fairly locked down in front of goal, but when they do, they're of high quality; indicates we won't get many chances, but when we do, we need to take them.

Jamille Matt is scoring goals at a good rate; 5 non-penalty goals from 5.6 xG. I wanted him in the summer. Aaron Collins isn't a bad forward either, who creates a fair bit too.

They're really tactically flexible, employing a 4132, 3412, and a 3142 in their last three (something I wish we were capable of, prevents it becoming predictable). 

Carl Winchester dictates things in the middle and will need to be pressed hard and often. He often drops into the backline and helps the team build, often through the centre of the pitch.

They're clearly a well-coached side who have a variety of approaches and have signed very wisely over the last window; a lovely mix of players from U23 sides, good players from League 2 sides, and players from undervalued markets like Scotland and the National League; only two of their 10 signings were over 26, and with 3 under the age of 21. They've got genuine depth and competition, with a number of young players as part of this.

I know they have a wealthy benefactor BUT signings from Morton/Barnet/Newport/Blackburn U23s won't have broken the bank. It's just well-thought out transfer strategy. "Don't try and compete with Mansfield and Bradford for the same players. Sign players not many people are looking at. Look for value".

Big fan of them. Hope we do them in.

54 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Their fans suggest they like to switch play with the opposite full back bombing forward... something Bolton did and we took advantage of it certainly down our flanks with them exposed. Maybe an Avenue of joy for us?

We could do with Ricardo Santos playing, and all.

Archived