Taking the knee.

3 minutes ago, geosname said:

What would you have fans do, that is peaceful, to register their disagreement with players taking the knee?

It's what fans have done in grounds for a long time when something happens they disagree with.... refs decisions, fouls, goals etc.

They are free to voice their opinion. No one got arrested for it. But equally people are free to make judgements about them and criticise them. 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When is this taking the knee crap gonna stop its getting beyond a joke. Who the hell decided that politics should be brought into football. I've been a season ticket holder ever since I left the Army

Do you sit outside the ground?

Couldn't resist seeing the levels of ignorance on here. I watched people racially abuse Exodus, hurling abuse and referencing his ethnicity for not performing well as a player.  I heard the

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, geosname said:

What would you have fans do, that is peaceful, to register their disagreement with players taking the knee?

It's what fans have done in grounds for a long time when something happens they disagree with.... refs decisions, fouls, goals etc.

There's booing a poor yellow card decision, and then booing players for kneeling for 8 seconds as they try to raise awareness of racial inequality. The two are not to be equated. 

• Like 1

It’s a difficult one this, in theory everyone should be free to express if they wish to back the BLM movement and take the knee but on the flip side people who don’t for whatever reason should be free not to do so.

It doesn’t mean your racist if you don’t, a section of those who don’t are racist of course but not all, there are aspects of what happened in the summer I don’t agree with for example. The defacing of monuments (war ones especially) and the tearing down and erasing of our history which I do also think actually hides a lot of the bad things they are campaigning about long term.

The Romans did some awful things. As did the Egyptians but the Pyramids and Colosseum remain. It’s British history good and bad and it should be a reminder and lesson for generations to come of both the glorious empire but the horrors that were carried out as well.

The war memorials and things like that were a disgrace and really lost the group respect for what they were trying to achieve, it mustn’t be forgotten many of the colonies lost thousands in wars fighting with us to!

Trashing a statue to a revered British leader who kept this country from invasion by another who had they achieved it would have total control of Europe and carried out even further atrocities against minorities and people they didn’t consider white aryan didn’t make much sense to me.

Some people disagree with the BLM due to the wider aspect of things it’s done.

However the booing to players taking the knee is unacceptable because the players who do so should be respected for sharing their views and shouldn’t be criticised.

We should strongly encourage equality and the end to racism, it is the 21st century now and it’s outrageous that it still goes on, it still does globally between all sorts of cultures but it needs huge change in society to achieve this.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Conrad said:

I agree it’s getting tedious now.

Can I point out that I agree with what BLM stands for, in fact I signed the online petition against the murder of George Floyd, I just happen to think that taking a knee before every game has gone on for long enough now.

Advert:

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

This fanbase. Sick of it.

Read some books.

Less are coming on site live compared to 18months ago.I took a break as sick of the clique on here.Same posters continue to drive us away with all the negativity. I'll soon be taking another break I think.

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

I agree it is a strange comparison. 

Im pushing the original posters view that football should be about football.

He has clearly stated that he doesn’t want “politics involved”... Now wearing the Poppy is different. And I 100% support it.

But Im testing whether it’s ACTUALLY about wanting football to be kept about football. I’d be keen to understand what can be introduced to football? What can’t?

I would prefer just football..... no adverts or sponsorships but that won't happen, to much money involved.

10 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Such a weak weak argument.

Surely no one thinks this is a salient or clever point anymore do they?

“Save the rainforest” doesn’t mean we all hate Epping Forrest.

So tigers lives matter but there's no need for WWF for all of the other persecuted animals in the world then?

A lot of it depends whether you believe the act of taking a knee is inextricably linked to a very specific political movement or whether it symbolizes a wider movement looking for equality.

A lot will cling to the idea that it represents the former in an attempt to discredit the latter.

Furthermore, people like MLK and Emmeline Pankhurst confronted the status quo in their day and were portrayed by dangerous radicals. The campaign for universal suffrage wasn't totally discredited just because Emily Davison threw herself in front of a horse.

Edited by Santa

18 minutes ago, Joe B said:

There's booing a poor yellow card decision, and then booing players for kneeling for 8 seconds as they try to raise awareness of racial inequality. The two are not to be equated. 

The link between the two is how fans show disagreement.

Neither action is something I would choose to do for various reasons.

Advert:

7 minutes ago, inner sanctum said:

So tigers lives matter but there's no need for WWF for all of the other persecuted animals in the world then?

What is the argument to do that? Obviously the ones most affected get  more attention, does not mean the others should not have any.

26 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

They are free to voice their opinion. No one got arrested for it. But equally people are free to make judgements about them and criticise them. 

Then people are free to judge and criticise people taking the knee.?

5 minutes ago, geosname said:

The link between the two is how fans show disagreement.

I'm sure the people who are booing taking the knee are doing so out of genuine anxieties with Marxism and, having read Das Kapital and The Condition Of The Working Class In England, they rejected its conclusions. Yep it's definitely that.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, inner sanctum said:

If a parent with a disabled child made a social media post with ‘disabled lives matter’, would you be offended? Would you assume that she meant that all kids lives didn’t matter? Or would you assume she meant that her disabled child’s life meant just as much as everyone else’s? 

Advert:

This fanbase. Sick of it.
Read some books.

Most arrogant post ever. Do all people who read books regularly have a superior opinions to everyone else? Maybe you should provide a booklist for people so they can share your views Joe. Personally I'm fully behind any players that want to take a knee, but if some people are against it, thats their right to say so. But reading books doesn't make anybodies options more valid, they vary widely in content.
  • Like 1