onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Taking the knee.

shian

13 minutes ago, Topher said:

have a go on these for starters. although they're from the snowflake lefty liberal Daily Mail so take 'em with a pinch of salt.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4222482/Stormzy-Chelsea-home-mistakenly-raided-police.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9075039/Courts-service-apologises-second-black-barrister-mistaking-defendant.html

although tbh even the DM's language there is trying to subtly undermine the black people in question.

then there's this from Robbie 

or are you gonna accuse him of playing  "the black card"?

Add to that how women have to be extra vigilant when walking home at night for fear of being attacked by men.

How high are you setting the threshold of evidence here?

Is that white male privalidge? 

What Robbie was saying happens to me here, well most of it.

Im not setting the bar just asking for individual definitions of white male privilege. 

Advert

21 minutes ago, Topher said:

have a go on these for starters. although they're from the snowflake lefty liberal Daily Mail so take 'em with a pinch of salt.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4222482/Stormzy-Chelsea-home-mistakenly-raided-police.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9075039/Courts-service-apologises-second-black-barrister-mistaking-defendant.html

although tbh even the DM's language there is trying to subtly undermine the black people in question.

then there's this from Robbie 

or are you gonna accuse him of playing  "the black card"?

Add to that how women have to be extra vigilant when walking home at night for fear of being attacked by men.

How high are you setting the threshold of evidence here?

Its geo. There is no threshold. The goalposts will keep moving and despite a bibles worth of text his posts will still have no substance and no point to make. 

39 minutes ago, WV said:

Its geo. There is no threshold. The goalposts will keep moving and despite a bibles worth of text his posts will still have no substance and no point to make. 

So what's your definition of white male privilege? 

It's a difficult question so don't feel to bad if you can't define it.

24 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I see everyone is avoiding the question again.

Would there be the same level of controversy if the movement was about generating equality for disabled people.

Would people be so against Disabled lives matter... @For Us All? Are you brave enough to answer?

I can't answer for people only myself.

Some people want to take the knee, others don't, some want to complain about people taking the knee, some want to complain about people complaining about taking the knee.

I suspect people would fall into similar groups no matter what the movement. It's likely there may be a similar reaction to a disabled "group" if they were rioting, looting and vandalising.

As stated previously (in the case of BLM) I think the best course of action would be to eliminate the abuse to all not highlight the disproportionate abuse to a section.

42 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I see everyone is avoiding the question again.

Would there be the same level of controversy if the movement was about generating equality for disabled people.

Would people be so against Disabled lives matter... @For Us All? Are you brave enough to answer?

Are you?Still waiting for an answer to why the the Guardian didn't interview any of the 74 rugby players who decided not to take the knee last weekend?

2 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Are you?Still waiting for an answer to why the the Guardian didn't interview any of the 74 rugby players who decided not to take the knee last weekend?

My personal view is that they did the interview with Watson because he suffers from discrimination and as time passes and momentum starts to wane they thought his opinion on the importance of the movement would be interesting to the readers.

The article also tackles head on the issue of people not liking the BLM movement because of its ties to the US organisation and some of their beliefs. Watson says clearly that the actions of sports people in the Uk are more focused on the racism and discrimination... that’s a direct answer to a question that has been levelled at the “knee taking” folk. So the Guardian probably thought that seen as people like yourself had asked those questions it would be interesting to give an answer.

Now... do you think there would be all this issue is the movement was disabled lives matter?

My personal view is no, their wouldn’t be so many issues.

Whats your personal view?

I was married to a lady who refused to stand for the national anthem. She had her personal convictions and followed it through including on two of Vale's visits to Wembley in the 1990's. It could be very awkward.

I suspect everyone's arguments would be the other way around if that was the subject being debated. It is however essentially exactly the same principle. Personal freedom of expression against a collective pressure to conform in a certain way.

Should you stand for the national anthem? It would be interesting to see how people's answers lined up against their previous comments on this thread.

One of the joys of living in this country is freedom of thought and expression. I treasure it and long may it continue. If you wish to take the knee you should and not be subject to abuse. If you do not, you should be able not to, again without abuse. It has been made partisan/political when it should not be.

1 hour ago, Coyney Valiant said:

It’s supposed to be a free country if you take the knee or don’t it’s up to the individual if you don’t it doesn’t mean you are racist 

I’m perfectly happy should people not want to take the knee. As you say, free country. 

The issue is people are unhappy that people do want to take the knee. 

I think 'taking the knee' would actually mean a lot more if it was a personal choice rather than a uniform thing that they all have to do.

I personally wouldn't bother because it's just theatrical for me. All just a show and no action. "Look we're fighting racism by spending five seconds a week making this gesture".

Remember when BLM all kicked off last year and all the social media companies changed their logos to show their support? Now that people are receiving racist abuse on their platforms and are demanding action what are the social media companies doing about it? Err, the square root of <ovf censored> all. Worse than that, they're putting out lovely statements about how they're against racism and then they're doing <ovf censored> all.

Take the knee for every match for the next 500 years. It will have no affect whatsoever. Just a meaningless gesture. Talk is cheap. Take action not make statements.

But booing people taking the knee is wrong. They're not booing because they see it as meaningless, even if the basic premise that BLM in the US has Marxist organisers is correct. If you think that multi-millionaire footballers are Communists you're either a bit thick or just a bit racist and looking for an excuse.

On the subject of racism. I do wonder if Frank Sinclair would be getting singled out so much if he was white. If Gerry Taggart had come to the club to coach the youth team last season would he be getting the blame for disrupting the dressing room?

18 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

My personal view is that they did the interview with Watson because he suffers from discrimination and as time passes and momentum starts to wane they thought his opinion on the importance of the movement would be interesting to the readers.

The article also tackles head on the issue of people not liking the BLM movement because of its ties to the US organisation and some of their beliefs. Watson says clearly that the actions of sports people in the Uk are more focused on the racism and discrimination... that’s a direct answer to a question that has been levelled at the “knee taking” folk. So the Guardian probably thought that seen as people like yourself had asked those questions it would be interesting to give an answer.

Now... do you think there would be all this issue is the movement was disabled lives matter?

My personal view is no, their wouldn’t be so many issues.

Whats your personal view?

Anyone with a disability deserves to live a better life,along with many other people but I'm not sure that taking a knee would help their cause.We perhaps need to look at other ways of sending out the message?I see that Brentford are the latest club who believe that the demonstration is no longer having an impact.

Archived