onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Taking the knee.

shian

11 hours ago, shian said:

I've been a season ticket holder ever since I left the Army in 1995 and I've NEVER EVER heard a racist remark in all that time, and I'm sure most fans think its time to kick politics out of football.

I’m curious as to what you class as racist. And what you class as acceptable behaviour. 

Advert

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

This is nonsense.

Vale have barely taken the knee this season. No one has accused them of anything.

You've made up some hypothetical and claimed it's 'totally wrong'. It hasn't happened. You're getting wound by up by something that has never existed.

I’m not even talking about Vale. Why would I be on about Vale when we don’t do it?

In fact it actually happened in a game somewhere, maybe Germany off the top of my head, a player didn’t take the knee, cue a the media all over it like a rash. The same happened at the formula one when someone didn’t do it. 

10 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I’m not even talking about Vale. Why would I be on about Vale when we don’t do it?

In fact it actually happened in a game somewhere, maybe Germany off the top of my head, a player didn’t take the knee, cue a the media all over it like a rash. The same happened at the formula one when someone didn’t do it. 

You mentioned players being labelled racist for not kneeling.

I gave the example that Vale have barely kneeled all season and haven't even labelled racist. Not difficult.

I believe QPR didn't kneel after consultation with their DoF Les Ferdinand. No criticism.

I have no idea which case you're on about, but thousands of players aren't kneeling. If you've got one player, a while back, in Germany that was criticised for not kneeling, your arguments on weak ground.

Just been reading about this earlier and the wider view that players should now stop taking the knee. That’s just as bad because it’s all down to individuals and what they want to do. Maybe we should introduce a period of a couple of weeks when people take knees similar to when people wear poppies so it creates a much greater impact? I’m not sure what the answer is. 

18 minutes ago, Joe B said:

You mentioned players being labelled racist for not kneeling.

I gave the example that Vale have barely kneeled all season and haven't even labelled racist. Not difficult.

I believe QPR didn't kneel after consultation with their DoF Les Ferdinand. No criticism.

I have no idea which case you're on about, but thousands of players aren't kneeling. If you've got one player, a while back, in Germany that was criticised for not kneeling, your arguments on weak ground.

No one is doing it in league two anyway so what are you talking about? 

The QPR thing was a totally different situation and unique. 

I think you don’t understand the point. I’m of the opinion that anyone who disagrees with it “may” be feeling scared of taking a stand in case they get labelled racist. The point is that someone disagreeing with taking the knee probably isn’t even a racist, they just disagree with the movement. But if you can’t see that the media are quick to label people not complying with their agenda then you need to open your eyes to see how the media operate. On a similar theme why do you think celebs feel the need to comment on it or come out and condemn any past actions that may be deemed as inappropriate? Because they are shitscared of the press jumping to conclusions about them and ruining their image. 

8 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

No one is doing it in league two anyway so what are you talking about? 

The QPR thing was a totally different situation and unique. 

I think you don’t understand the point. I’m of the opinion that anyone who disagrees with it “may” be feeling scared of taking a stand in case they get labelled racist. The point is that someone disagreeing with taking the knee probably isn’t even a racist, they just disagree with the movement. But if you can’t see that the media are quick to label people not complying with their agenda then you need to open your eyes to see how the media operate. On a similar theme why do you think celebs feel the need to comment on it or come out and condemn any past actions that may be deemed as inappropriate? Because they are shitscared of the press jumping to conclusions about them and ruining their image. 

We literally did it yesterday, and Colchester were booed for it last week? What on earth are you on about? Are you even watching the games?

QPR; not really. They didn't kneel, as many don't and didn't get any criticism for it.

Can you please give me an example of the media criticising a team/players for not kneeling? At present it seems, again, you're inventing something to be outraged about and have no evidence for it.  I can't be bothered engaging with your 'similar theme' as it's got no relation to the matter at hand.

Please provide evidence of a player/team being criticised for not kneeling by the media, or give evidence that players are scared to not kneel, or you're providing unproven assertions and therefore can't be taken seriously. 

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

We literally did it yesterday, and Colchester were booed for it last week? What on earth are you on about? Are you even watching the games?

QPR; not really. They didn't kneel, as many don't and didn't get any criticism for it.

Can you please give me an example of the media criticising a team/players for not kneeling? I can't be bothered engaging with your 'similar theme' as it's got no relation to the matter at hand.

Please provide evidence of a player/team being criticised for not kneeling, or give evidence that players are scared to not kneel, or you're providing unproven assertions and therefore can't be taken seriously. 

No I didn’t switch it on til 5 minutes in so I missed us doing it. 

There was also a cricketer that didn’t do it either, Twitter was all over him and the papers were all over him too after comments to clarify why he didn’t. 

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Fair view on things...

What I can’t understand is the level of disagreement this topic is generating.

I can’t abide gambling advertising in football ... no one boos a team that come out wearing it.

Yet this issue which clearly has deep emotional importance to a number of our squad... then some of our fans have decided this is the issue they will boo and make it clear that they are unhappy.

It’s just a funny one that this is the issue that people think they will verbalise their disagreement to such a strong degree.

What would you have fans do, that is peaceful, to register their disagreement with players taking the knee?

It's what fans have done in grounds for a long time when something happens they disagree with.... refs decisions, fouls, goals etc.

8 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

No I didn’t switch it on til 5 minutes in so I missed us doing it. 

There was also a cricketer that didn’t do it either, Twitter was all over him and the papers were all over him too after comments to clarify why he didn’t. 

I don't know who that was, but we're on about football in Britain.

3 minutes ago, geosname said:

What would you have fans do, that is peaceful, to register their disagreement with players taking the knee?

It's what fans have done in grounds for a long time when something happens they disagree with.... refs decisions, fouls, goals etc.

They are free to voice their opinion. No one got arrested for it. But equally people are free to make judgements about them and criticise them. 

3 minutes ago, geosname said:

There's booing a poor yellow card decision, and then booing players for kneeling for 8 seconds as they try to raise awareness of racial inequality. The two are not to be equated. 

It’s a difficult one this, in theory everyone should be free to express if they wish to back the BLM movement and take the knee but on the flip side people who don’t for whatever reason should be free not to do so.

It doesn’t mean your racist if you don’t, a section of those who don’t are racist of course but not all, there are aspects of what happened in the summer I don’t agree with for example. The defacing of monuments (war ones especially) and the tearing down and erasing of our history which I do also think actually hides a lot of the bad things they are campaigning about long term.

The Romans did some awful things. As did the Egyptians but the Pyramids and Colosseum remain. It’s British history good and bad and it should be a reminder and lesson for generations to come of both the glorious empire but the horrors that were carried out as well.

The war memorials and things like that were a disgrace and really lost the group respect for what they were trying to achieve, it mustn’t be forgotten many of the colonies lost thousands in wars fighting with us to!

Trashing a statue to a revered British leader who kept this country from invasion by another who had they achieved it would have total control of Europe and carried out even further atrocities against minorities and people they didn’t consider white aryan didn’t make much sense to me.

Some people disagree with the BLM due to the wider aspect of things it’s done.

However the booing to players taking the knee is unacceptable because the players who do so should be respected for sharing their views and shouldn’t be criticised.

We should strongly encourage equality and the end to racism, it is the 21st century now and it’s outrageous that it still goes on, it still does globally between all sorts of cultures but it needs huge change in society to achieve this.

11 hours ago, Conrad said:

I agree it’s getting tedious now.

Can I point out that I agree with what BLM stands for, in fact I signed the online petition against the murder of George Floyd, I just happen to think that taking a knee before every game has gone on for long enough now.

Archived