January transfer window

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Terrific signing. Just what we want.Young striker with pace. Looks good in the air. Scores goals with both feet. Been around a couple of seasons, so knows what to expect.To me there is more optim

Joe, I thought that Jake gave us energy that I struggle to remember anyone else doing for sometime. He also motivated Burgess who now looks lost. Together they formed a partnership that  allowed Joyce

The Pope question will need to be answered sooner or later.   with the salary cap (he will count as the average salary not what he is actually earning) then we may struggle to improve on him, but if

Posted Images

3 hours ago, philmpv said:

I know, I'm the same. I'd much rather us take a chance on unproven young players with potential to play higher than season after season sign the same old 'league 2 quality players' that are never going to play above league 2 for a reason. Over the past few years, by far our better players have been the young 'chancers' (Alnwick, Jones, streete, smith, gibbons, taylor, Burgess, to name but a few). Yes, there is a place for a few experienced heads, but imho these should be the exception rather than the rule. At our level, raw ability counts for a lot more than experience, since a youngster with a modicum of skill and ability can run rings around the dross that is in most teams in this league.

I remember when Brian mills came through. I was so excited by him. It's such a pity he got struck down like he did

I remember Mills a small stocky player if i am remembering right scored a couple in his first game i think

1 hour ago, Mario said:

Can't remember the last striker we brought through from the youth team that went on to have a prolific career.

Probably because we seem to have no patience in waiting for a striker to develop (if they ever do).

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Probably because we seem to have no patience in waiting for a striker to develop (if they ever do).

Going off what Sinclair said when he joined us i think the owners really want us to get younger players in the squad

Micky Cullerton came through the system Mark Bright and Billy Paynter there must be more but I'm struggling, often thought what a bonus it would be if we could sell on a striker like the lad at Exeter who's name I can't remember, in fact who have we brought through the youth system in any position and sold for a good wedge say in the last 25 years ?

Could you class Robbie Earle released by that lot down the road ?

Edited by blackdog

Advert:

4 hours ago, philmpv said:

I know, I'm the same. I'd much rather us take a chance on unproven young players with potential to play higher than season after season sign the same old 'league 2 quality players' that are never going to play above league 2 for a reason. Over the past few years, by far our better players have been the young 'chancers' (Alnwick, Jones, streete, smith, gibbons, taylor, Burgess, to name but a few). Yes, there is a place for a few experienced heads, but imho these should be the exception rather than the rule. At our level, raw ability counts for a lot more than experience, since a youngster with a modicum of skill and ability can run rings around the dross that is in most teams in this league.

I remember when Brian mills came through. I was so excited by him. It's such a pity he got struck down like he did

I think the key is finding the right balance between youth and experience. If you have too many young chancers then there is a risk that non of them are able to develop and/or the team is too weak for them to stand out.

That is why despite often having a torrid opening 20 minutes, our reserves usually defeat these u21 teams in the trophy games. 

I think the last 2 strikers come through our youth system were danny glover and James lawrie neither did much for us but lawrie was meant be a good prospect. Before that we had dave Hibbert who ended up retiring early due to injury but looks to be doing well.

7 hours ago, Walka003 said:
7 hours ago, Portvale4 said:
It’s all well and good saying that, but just imagine the meltdown amongst our fans if we signed an unknown young lad from Doncaster in the summer. 

I would say a lot of the unknown quantities were largely greeted well (I don't recall to much uproar around the signings of Rodney Mills or Fitzpatrick). It was the known quantities that raised eyebrows (McKirdy and Theo)

I probably should have phrased it better - imagine the meltdown amongst our fans if we signed an unknown young lad who had achieved nothing at Doncaster. 

Rodney, Mills and Fitz had shown glimpses during their careers to suggest they’d improve the squad. 

Rodney - Had a good season in the National League, earning good reviews.

Mills - Player of the season at Morecambe a few years back. 

Fitz - Had been steady at Macc for a number of years. 

My point was, Watters had done nothing previously to suggest he’d be a success at Crawley. That goes back to the point, our fan base would have been in meltdown. 

Watters - Had a number of loan spells away from Donny, but didn’t do much. Failed to score in 5 league appearances for Donny. Released at the end of last season. 

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

Micky Cullerton came through the system Mark Bright and Billy Paynter there must be more but I'm struggling, often thought what a bonus it would be if we could sell on a striker like the lad at Exeter who's name I can't remember, in fact who have we brought through the youth system in any position and sold for a good wedge say in the last 25 years ?

Watkins?? exeter

• Like 1

Advert:

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

Anthony Gardner £855k answered my own question.......Anybody else ?

10 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Anthony Gardner £855k answered my own question.......Anybody else ?

Not the youth team but did Hugill start off in that development squad we had?

To make money on a player they dont really have to be prolific Exeter have sold a few of their younger players and clubs are watching their winger now. I watched the QPR game the other night and their winger is touted about for millions with premier teams interested but he was shocking in that game so who knows what clubs look for,i do think if we signed players like Taylor and Clark to go with Rodney all imo could go on to be looked at by clubs so could prove good investments for Vale

Edited by werstayinup

5 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Not the youth team but did Hugill start off in that development squad we had?

To make money on a player they dont really have to be prolific Exeter have sold a few of their younger players and clubs are watching their winger now. I watched the QPR game the other night and their winger is touted about for millions with premier teams interested but he was shocking in that game so who knows what clubs look for,i do think if we signed players like Taylor and Clark to go with Rodney all imo could go on to be looked at by clubs so could prove good investments for Vale

It's not easy is it ?  It's like having a stable of race horses and hoping one will come through and win the Gold Cup, we might get lucky with someone like Rodney.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blackdog said:

It's not easy is it ?  It's like having a stable of race horses and hoping one will come through and win the Gold Cup, we might get lucky with someone like Rodney.

It certainly isn't easy but i guess it can be done but finding the right players is the really hard part,yes Rodney is raw but there is certainly something about him

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

It certainly isn't easy but i guess it can be done but finding the right players is the really hard part,yes Rodney is raw but there is certainly something about him

It's not an exact science, which if it was they would all be at it I suppose, Crewe have some very good young players who have been together for 5 years min. unless someone comes in during the January window they wont have sold anyone for a few years and if they do I doubt anyone would pay more than C.350k which a few years ago they would have gone for double that.

Added to the fact that the premier league have snapped up all UK prospects and most of the worlds come to that, then to find a lad who will be sold for big money in the 2nd division and go on to the premier league is getting virtually impossible. 

Advert:

Styles of play makes or breaks a striker.

Play Pope in a quick, counter attacking team and expect him to run onto through balls and he will struggle.

Play Pope in a team that pings a ton of crosses into the box and he will thrive.

We need to be spotting players that can slot into our way of playing (if we have one!)

Watters at Crawley just suits their style. It rarely works to say "he scored 20 goals for them so let's sign him and he'll score 20 for us"

I don't mind the Joyce/Legge/Brown type signings but we need to have 2-3 "chancers" a season in my opinion too. 18-21 year olds released from higher clubs that we've monitored over the course of a season or two. 

I still pine for the days of McPhee, Brooker, MBW, Armstrong, Pilkington, Goodlad, Cummins type signings!

• Like 1

Askey confirms Clark likely to return to Leicester with Mills playing and Gibbons nearing fitness.

Should free up a few quid, and also a squad space as he's 21 (or is it 21 and under?).

Says he'd like to make some signings. Good.

Get two young lads in on loan from a Cat 1 academy (centre half with pace and comfortable on the ball, quick striker, no guarantee of minutes but it's better than wallowing at Fulham U23s), look to see if anyone fancies McKirdy and Robinson (lob in Whitehead too) for half of a season for 50% wages (they had a great 19/20!), and then look to get someone who is like Manny but doesn't disintegrate at whim. Big CM who likes to break lines. Storm the league. Lockdown lifted and Kev Shanahan nailing pints in The Crown come May. You Whites.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1