January transfer window

What about contract cancellation? Could the likes of McKirdy, Robinson, Legge etc agree a mutual termination of their contracts and join another club as a free agent?

Advert:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Terrific signing. Just what we want.Young striker with pace. Looks good in the air. Scores goals with both feet. Been around a couple of seasons, so knows what to expect.To me there is more optim

Joe, I thought that Jake gave us energy that I struggle to remember anyone else doing for sometime. He also motivated Burgess who now looks lost. Together they formed a partnership that  allowed Joyce

The Pope question will need to be answered sooner or later.   with the salary cap (he will count as the average salary not what he is actually earning) then we may struggle to improve on him, but if

Posted Images

Just now, robf said:

What about contract cancellation? Could the likes of McKirdy, Robinson, Legge etc agree a mutual termination of their contracts and join another club as a free agent?

Those lads are not going to get new clubs in the football league easily, if at all. Given that every league below national is suspended and the risk of the national league being suspended is high, I can’t see many eager takers. 

Legge is out of contract at the end of the season. Would he really want to move in the middle of a pandemic? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, robf said:

Why do that though? Rather than pay up contracts, wouldn't it make more sense to keep them and let the new manager decide if there's something there he likes?

Started new thread to discuss new squad list.

Edited by mr.hobblesworth

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle said:

No doubt I will gets dogs abuse, but if Pope unlikely to be fit (as it seems) until April then I would re-register Robinson in his place.  Maybe the new guy can tease a player out of him (he has scored goals at this level) before we decide to just bind him off.

I find it strange that the club hasn’t deregistered Pope considering,as you say,he probably won’t be back until April.That is also assuming he will be fit enough to play(match wise).How many games will he be available for?Half a dozen?He’s still getting paid.Can’t see an issue.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, robf said:

I think that would have had to be done before the window shut

Advert:

9 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Why do that though? Rather than pay up contracts, wouldn't it make more sense to keep them and let the new manager decide if there's something there he likes?

Started new thread to discuss new squad list.

Because I wasn't saying "pay up" I was saying "cancel". 😉

Say for instance, Southend wanted Robinson, we could agree to cancel his contract and Southend take it on.

It would obviously have to be a mutual decision between player and club but it has happened. 

Bad example perhaps, but Whitehead's last year at Salford was cancelled so he could be a free agent and join us.

16 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Those lads are not going to get new clubs in the football league easily, if at all. Given that every league below national is suspended and the risk of the national league being suspended is high, I can’t see many eager takers. 

Legge is out of contract at the end of the season. Would he really want to move in the middle of a pandemic? 

True but I wasn't suggesting that there would be hordes of takers. I was only suggesting that IF there was any takers after the window (I think it would probably be those in the relegation zone - Southend etc) and they did show interest, could we agree a mutual termination.

Is it likely? No

But my question wasn't that, it was is it possible or does it contravene FL rules?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, robf said:

True but I wasn't suggesting that there would be hordes of takers. I was only suggesting that IF there was any takers after the window (I think it would probably be those in the relegation zone - Southend etc) and they did show interest, could we agree a mutual termination.

Is it likely? No

But my question wasn't that, it was is it possible or does it contravene FL rules?

Pretty certain any free agent without a contract could be signed. 

Doesn't that make a mockery of the whole transfer window though? We could potentially speak to, I dunno, Oldham, agree a swap of Legge for Wheater and then both cancel the contracts and pick up the other as a free agent.

Don't they have to be out of contract at the point of closure of the transfer window to be able to sign and be registered for someone else after the deadline? Think that used to be the case

Pretty certain any free agent without a contract could be signed. 
  • Like 2

Advert:

3 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Doesn't that make a mockery of the whole transfer window though? We could potentially speak to, I dunno, Oldham, agree a swap of Legge for Wheater and then both cancel the contracts and pick up the other as a free agent.

It may do but I think it's a rarity simply because a player has to agree to cancel their contract (and all the benefits in it) and have faith another club will honour their agreement. If you've got a mortgage, a family and financial commitments, it's a heck of a risk if you are a player. We all know how quickly transfers can go wrong - all it takes is an injury and a club will switch to another player, another position...

I know Theo has his knockers for instance - but if you were in his shoes, would you gamble on a move elsewhere and turning down another year's income pretty much guaranteed. 

I guess there's also an element of the Bosman ruling to it - as in if you didn't allow contracts to be cancelled after the window would you be restricting someone's right to work/move jobs. 

• Like 1

Everyone was at training today so nobody has left yet which to me would indicate they are staying put unless someone drops to the national league

6 hours ago, geoff1 said:

oh my god, im lazy!😝

It wasn't personal - it was the lack of research behind the post that I was calling lazy- it's as lazy and trite a comment as some "wit" saying "I hope the fax machine is working?" Personally, I think we've made some sensible signings...just wish, for Carol's sake, we could have shipped 3 out! Maybe worth offering to pay up their contracts, as other clubs can still sign free agents?

5 hours ago, philmpv said:

Don't they have to be out of contract at the point of closure of the transfer window to be able to sign and be registered for someone else after the deadline? Think that used to be the case

I agree Phil, and I would also expect they would still have to fit within a 22 man squad - I would expect most already have their allocation of experienced pros, so very little opportunity 

Advert:

It wasn't personal - it was the lack of research behind the post that I was calling lazy- it's as lazy and trite a comment as some "wit" saying "I hope the fax machine is working?" Personally, I think we've made some sensible signings...just wish, for Carol's sake, we could have shipped 3 out! Maybe worth offering to pay up their contracts, as other clubs can still sign free agents?
They can only sign them if they were free agents before the window closed. I'm afraid we're stuck with them now
  • Like 1

After the 22 man final squad is handed in today I would pay up the contracts (cashflow allowing) of those players whose contracts expire in the summer to keep them away.

You can't have pro's training and not playing - its no good for squad harmony.

• Like 1