onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

rayzer

Advert

37 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Your right about the season being far from over, however I am looking more at the teams below than those in the play-offs.  We are 8 points above the bottom 2, having played 2 games more, if Stevenage win one of the games in hand we will be 5 points clear and playing 2 teams below us in the next week, they are vital games. 

What also concerns me is the chance of the season being cut short again like last year, if we have a similar points tally like last year in the next dozen games and the season cut short, we could be gone.  I am just hoping we can get some results quickly.

On current form teams below are also a concern too, no doubt about it. At the end of the day if we have our main 11 out on the pitch then we should be picking up results to start moving up the table rather than dropping down further. Its now all about scouting and recruitment for me in the next 4 weeks. Get it right and we will be looking up.

Personally I'm not too concerned about the season being cut short. I think its more likely to be extended for a few weeks to fit the remaining games if there is a large breakout of covid at clubs. With the vaccine roll out round the corner, I can'tsee the EFL doing that this time round unless all of the clubs vote again to say they cannot financially carry on. 

Shift the deadwood (McKirdy, Robinson, and Whitehead if anyone is daft to take them on), get 1/2 loans in (hopefully they've been well scouted and it's not just a phone call of 'who's free?'), manage Montano, Amoo, and Oyeleke better to minimise injuries, and try to finish the season as positive as possible to maintain ST sales for next season with minimal financial outlay.

I also think there needs to be an effort to improve the social media output to the level it was at when Max McLellan was here, and a root and branch reform of the recruitment department following the models of clubs who use statistical analysis such as Colchester (what companies do they work with? what models are used? what staff do they employ to implement it?), or can consistently find undervalued players like Accrington (where are their scouts located? what are they tasked with finding? who coordinates the strategy and targets?).

We also need to review the business done this summer and identify what went wrong; why did we sign McKirdy? Why has Robinson not worked out when he has been decent at other clubs? Why was Whitehead signed? What were the intentions pre-window, and how did we go about them? Another window as dodgy as the last few will set us back a couple of years.

I think they're all reasonable targets for the next few months. If we aren't going up, we need to use this time to ensure there are absolutely zero excuses for the 21/22 season. I detest the idea of giving up on a season, but let's at least use this setback we've had in the most positive manner we can.

A hypothetical for you; a club comes in and offers to take Tom Pope on an 18 month deal on a free. Pope, with his contract up in the summer and looking for as much financial security as possible, as well maximise the playing time he has left as his career winds down, wants to accept.

Do you think this was be a move in the club's best interests?

(I am not ITK and this isn't happening, I'm just intrigued as to people's perceptions of Pope's value to the side).

I'd drive him there

A hypothetical for you; a club comes in and offers to take Tom Pope on an 18 month deal on a free. Pope, with his contract up in the summer and looking for as much financial security as possible, as well maximise the playing time he has left as his career winds down, wants to accept.
(I am not ITK and this isn't happening, I'm just intrigued as to people's perceptions of Pope's value to the side).

Guess it would depend on location, he turned down Scunthorpe in the summer for example.

2 hours ago, MBE said:

I still don't think this season is a write off. No team are pulling away and won't due to the nature of the season. We have seen it only takes 2 or 3 injuries and/ or covid protocols to significantly weaken teams at this level.

Ok we have played a game or 2 more than others, however despite how crap we have been we are still only 6 points away from the play offs. A couple of very good additions to strengthen the 1st eleven, some notable absentees returning to our 1st eleven soon and I still think if we can win a game it will snowball and we could still challenge for the playoffs.

This is why I'm a bit frustrated with keeping JA.I still think under a different manager we would have turned around the results but the owners has decided to stick with him for now.

Even under JA I still think we should be challenging for the playoffs.

I like your optimism! 

I said we'd finish around 10th at the start of the season. Unfortunately at the half way stage I don't see anything other than a bottom half squad.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

The only way it would be in the clubs interests if we could get in the right replacements for him and Robinson. But even then there’s still question marks over Cullens ability to stay fit and if Rodney can go on to have a good season too. 

I think that Robinson will get snapped up as hes got a proven record in this league. The fact is hes not had a run of games here. Mckirdy im not so sure about.

My main concern is keeping players like Conlon, Rodney, Gibbons and Worrall who should be the base for next seasons team.

2 minutes ago, mikey said:

I think that Robinson will get snapped up as hes got a proven record in this league. The fact is hes not had a run of games here. Mckirdy im not so sure about.

My main concern is keeping players like Conlon, Rodney, Gibbons and Worrall who should be the base for next seasons team.

I agree on Robinson. He’s got a decent record outside of his spells with us. 

I think allied to your second paragraph is the important matter of finding replacements for Legge, Joyce and Pope down the spine of the team. 

We need a bit of luck that whoever we sign hits the ground running and can step straight into the first team.  I’m not that hopeful that this will be the case in January.  More likely we should reasonably expect a couple of players who fit in better than Robinson & McKirdy and contribute more than either.  Assuming we can move either player on.

6 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Joe Garner and Will Grigg?

Is this a wind up? Where would we find £20,000+ a week for them?!

I see sometimes why Vale fans are constantly unhappy when they think we can attract Garner and Grigg and want Paul Cook or the Cowley brothers in charge!

My expectations are not low, I want to be in L1 and am sick of being a laughing stock, but we need some realism.

I hope you got some reading lessons for Christmas? For starters, it was either / or, and I straightaway ruled Garner out because he's off to join Robbie Fowler in India. As for Will Grigg - firstly, he can't expect the same money for his next deal, as he's not doing as well as when he left Wigan...and the comment about Sunderland having to be very generous...was exactly that! So, my speculation wasn't intended to be realistic...but stranger things have happened in football...and, if you don't ask you don't get!

57 minutes ago, mikey said:

Not so sure. There’s a reason he’s not had a run of games. He will be on a decent wage with us. With the current climate I’d be surprised if he and mckirdy get snapped up 

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

As echoed by others I think it depends if we have someone lined up to replace him. His wage would be good to have off the books given the amount of football he plays now. For me I personally think he’s our best striker, Rodney has potential (I actually prefer him out wide and would start both). Would make sense for popey to get one last pay day if the option is out there. I think it would be in the clubs interest if we have 1/2 forwards lines up 

Archived