January transfer window

The Pope question will need to be answered sooner or later.  
with the salary cap (he will count as the average salary not what he is actually earning) then we may struggle to improve on him, but if we could move both him and Robinson on then the combined salary may enable us to bring in the quality of striker we crave..

Having Tom at the club in my eyes is holding us back,  as if he plays we are accepting our main striker is unlikely to get goals (the last 2 years are evidence of this before his entire back catalogue gets trotted out as ‘evidence’).

I would persevere with Devante who’s recent performances in the central role have improved, and he has scored/created more as well as stretching the play with his pace.

rodney may / may not develop into a 20 goal a season striker, but he will not grow into the role by playing on the wing.  As good as Tom has been if we pin our hopes on an ageing 35 year old who is fading slowly away then we will not prosper.  

in summary, if there is a deal for Tom to move on and we can improve the squad by using his wage elsewhere I would take it.  If not he is ok as a back up striker only now, where we will see the odd flicker of quality, but sadly these are becoming rarer and rarer and not in keeping with one of / our top earners in the squad

• Like 7

Advert:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Terrific signing. Just what we want.Young striker with pace. Looks good in the air. Scores goals with both feet. Been around a couple of seasons, so knows what to expect.To me there is more optim

Joe, I thought that Jake gave us energy that I struggle to remember anyone else doing for sometime. He also motivated Burgess who now looks lost. Together they formed a partnership that  allowed Joyce

The Pope question will need to be answered sooner or later.   with the salary cap (he will count as the average salary not what he is actually earning) then we may struggle to improve on him, but if

Posted Images

I think the reason we are being held back by Tom Pope is because we have struggled to replace him as  he is so good at what he does and that we also set up to play in a way that suits a Tom Pope type player. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

The Pope question will need to be answered sooner or later.  
with the salary cap (he will count as the average salary not what he is actually earning) then we may struggle to improve on him, but if we could move both him and Robinson on then the combined salary may enable us to bring in the quality of striker we crave..

Having Tom at the club in my eyes is holding us back,  as if he plays we are accepting our main striker is unlikely to get goals (the last 2 years are evidence of this before his entire back catalogue gets trotted out as ‘evidence’).

I would persevere with Devante who’s recent performances in the central role have improved, and he has scored/created more as well as stretching the play with his pace.

rodney may / may not develop into a 20 goal a season striker, but he will not grow into the role by playing on the wing.  As good as Tom has been if we pin our hopes on an ageing 35 year old who is fading slowly away then we will not prosper.  

in summary, if there is a deal for Tom to move on and we can improve the squad by using his wage elsewhere I would take it.  If not he is ok as a back up striker only now, where we will see the odd flicker of quality, but sadly these are becoming rarer and rarer and not in keeping with one of / our top earners in the squad

If Vale wanted to get rid of Pope they had the opportunity in the summer as his social media antics would have been grounds for dismissal.  I don't see him going this window for the salary reason you mention. Next season there are 2 scenarios.

1 he stays on a 4th striker wage

2 he leaves and tries to get one last pay day, possibly at National League level.

I don't know Tom Pope but he does seem someone who really does like staying local. I'd be very surprised if he moves in this window. I don't really see him getting a move which would match his current salary or a longterm contract somewhere else. If there were some kind of deal it wouldn't involve a transfer fee.

I think expectations need to be managed for this window. Getting rid of the likes of Robinson and mckirdy wouldn't free up that much, I suspect, in terms of budget. Of our entire squad, 5-6 players are, I think, taking up around half of our playing budget in terms of wages (based on a conservative estimate of 2.5k per week each). They are pope, Joyce, brown, smith, legge and Worrall. Of those, I would argue that only 2 are actually positively contributing to any notable degree on the pitch, viz brown and Worrall. Unless any of those 6 leave this window, it will be a case of like for like, by and large, and hoping for the best. Clarks departure will free up something, though. Summer will be a different story though, with 3 of those 6 (that I know of) being out of contract and likely released.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I think expectations need to be managed for this window. Getting rid of the likes of Robinson and mckirdy wouldn't free up that much, I suspect, in terms of budget. Of our entire squad, 5-6 players are, I think, taking up around half of our playing budget in terms of wages (based on a conservative estimate of 2.5k per week each)... 

Not sure about this? Wasn't it stated earlier that over-21s all get assigned the same salaries, regardless of whether they earn more / less than this figure? 

Advert:

Not sure about this? Wasn't it stated earlier that over-21s all get assigned the same salaries, regardless of whether they earn more / less than this figure? 
You could be right. I don't profess to be an expert on the new rules, but the principle is valid, particularly this summer
  • Like 1

Nor am I...but, if that is the way it works, then freeing up 2 spaces could allow us to bring 2 in...as long as we can afford their actual wages?  I'm happy for anyone to correct me on this?

Just now, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

It will, especially as he started and setup their winner on Tuesday night.

Hopefully it won't make up for the rest of his poor loan spell; also, shows he's coming back into form...in which case we could use him?

According to the Senile, they could get around the cap by opting to ‘de-select’ a player for the second half of the season, meaning they wouldn’t be included in the squad list sent to the EFL and couldn’t be selected for the rest of the season.

Nor am I...but, if that is the way it works, then freeing up 2 spaces could allow us to bring 2 in...as long as we can afford their actual wages?  I'm happy for anyone to correct me on this?
  • Like 1

Advert:

56 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

That’s true if they were signed before the cap came in... any player after the cap was introduced is included at their full wage.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

That’s true if they were signed before the cap came in... any player after the cap was introduced is included at their full wage.

Thanks for that IC! 

16 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Out of interest, does anybody know what the agreed divisional average wage at which the cap is set is? Can't find it anywhere

Think it's 1.5 million in our league and 2.5 million in League 1.

• Like 2

Advert:

No, I meant the individual average wage that is applied for the purposes of the cap?

"Any contract entered into on or prior to today’s vote will be capped at an agreed divisional average until that contract expires"

Think it's 1.5 million in our league and 2.5 million in League 1.