January transfer window

Advert:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Terrific signing. Just what we want.Young striker with pace. Looks good in the air. Scores goals with both feet. Been around a couple of seasons, so knows what to expect.To me there is more optim

Joe, I thought that Jake gave us energy that I struggle to remember anyone else doing for sometime. He also motivated Burgess who now looks lost. Together they formed a partnership that  allowed Joyce

The Pope question will need to be answered sooner or later.   with the salary cap (he will count as the average salary not what he is actually earning) then we may struggle to improve on him, but if

Posted Images

Advert:

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

If askey is still manager I hope we sign nobody. Pointless us just signing the same old players over and over again. 

Agreed and January is notable for panics and players nobody wants. 

Other than a loanee most January purchases would be the equivalent of Robinson and Mckirdy ( surplus to requirements ) .

What's Toby Edser up to these days 😂😂

From Phil Sherwin in the sentinel article:

"We currently have 22 players aged over 21, so it’s easy to work out that anyone coming in over that age will mean someone going out (permanent or on loan) to keep to the same total. A way round it is to simply de-select a player, but this is not ideal as wages would still have to be paid, even though it wouldn’t count towards the wage cap, and a player like that could not be used for the rest of the season no matter how many injuries we have.“

I didn’t realise that a deselected players wages are not considered in the £1.5m budget.

6 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

"We currently have 22 players aged over 21, so it’s easy to work out that anyone coming in over that age will mean someone going out (permanent or on loan) to keep to the same total. A way round it is to simply de-select a player, but this is not ideal as wages would still have to be paid, even though it wouldn’t count towards the wage cap, and a player like that could not be used for the rest of the season no matter how many injuries we have.“

I didn’t realise that a deselected players wages are not considered in the £1.5m budget.

we could do that with a few then to allow us some room and give us chance to try and move them on either way,we could also bring in u21 loan players as well which wont count either

I saw someone post on another thread(possibly the McKirdy one) that Joel Grant was training with us the same time as McKirdy but we signed the latter and Grant went to Swindon,well doesn't look like he is in the team there,i would take him at this level as a replacement unless we arsed him about of course

Advert:

Remember how all summer Askey kept banging on about 'waiting and seeing', hoping that prices would drop with a bit of patience? 

It was this inertia that landed him with another bunch of, by and large, average-substandard footballers (Rodney aside). They may have been cheaper but he could have saved money on McKirdy, Robinson, Whitehead, and Mills and put their wages towards one top quality player we could have secured earlier on. 

Hoping we make more pre-emptive moves this time around. 

Edited by Joe B

34 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

The £1.5m isn't really in effect yet, as all the contracts pre-agreement only count towards the cap at the same value as the league average wage.

Of course, that means all the signings we made in the summer (all home runs!) count the full whack, as do all the replacements we now need to bring in. 

I was going to say I wouldn't mind Joe Garner coming in...yes, I know, nobody likes him!! But, it seems he

s off to India? Will Griggs could be an outsider - not having a good time since transferring from Wigan to Sunderland. Suggest Sunderland would have to be very generous with the wages, though? Anyone else got ideas for a forward...or midfielder?

Reading between the lines of the Carol’s statement - AND THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM - I don’t see anyone of significance other than perhaps a couple of u21 loans from EPL academies coming in.

Carol thinks, and I agree to a point, that we have a squad capable of competing with anyone in the League when fully fit. 

As someone said, January is a time for panic buys and unless somebody takes a lot of the dross/crocks off our hands - Robinson, McKirdy, Cullen, Mills, Whitehead - then there’s little scope for movement. 

Of course, we could always lose players and if clubs are daft enough to pay fees for, say, Conlon, Smith (!?), Worrall, then of course we’d have to look at this.

The season is over promotion-wise in my opinion, it’s just a case of making sure we don’t get dragged into a relegation battle and then having a complete overhaul in the Summer.

Advert: