onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

rayzer

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

The problem with our youngsters is that as soon as they show any potential, Prem clubs can snap them up for a small fee.  We've lost about half a dozen in the last few years like this.  Eden Bailey, grandson of Terry, is doing OK and scoring goals for the youth team but we'll have to give him time and a few Wrights pies to see if he can make it.

I'd like to think we could tap Wolves up for one or two of the lads who played against us. 

I agree. EPPP leads to Category 1 clubs signing 9 year olds (as Man City did with us), and we can't turn money down when there's no guarantee the player will ever make it.

Think we've sold 4 in recent years; Luke Daley is doing well as a left back for Huddersfield U23s, I believe.

Birmingham and Brentford have shut down their academies. I'm not saying we do the same, but with the competition in our area from City, United, Liverpool, Everton, Stoke, Crewe, Derby, and Forest, we're never going to one, attract the premium youngsters, and two, keep hold of them.

We need to move back to the Development Squad model, which is one of the few good ideas Norm had. Get a good scout in, a good coach, and have a go.

Advert

36 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I would take Clark over Fitz and Mills any day as full back cover/starters.

Think the issue is wages.

On his day him and Gibbo are arguably 2 of the best full backs in the league, I’d say that Mitch hasn’t shown it in this spell and that there’s more going on than just wages with Clark I think. 

3 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

On his day him and Gibbo are arguably 2 of the best full backs in the league, I’d say that Mitch hasn’t shown it in this spell and that there’s more going on than just wages with Clark I think. 

A decent part of that good run we had was predicated on Clark cutting in from the left onto his right with his pace.

Assisted vs Salford (draw), won us a penalty against FGR (win). I think it's a shame that, for whatever reason, he hasn't quite hit those standards (though I don't think he's been anywhere near as poor as some make out).

38 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A decent part of that good run we had was predicated on Clark cutting in from the left onto his right with his pace.

Assisted vs Salford (draw), won us a penalty against FGR (win). I think it's a shame that, for whatever reason, he hasn't quite hit those standards (though I don't think he's been anywhere near as poor as some make out).

I think when you’ve got him and Gibbo in the side and playing well then you’ve got full backs who can do something to change a game by getting an assist, driving us forward, linking play and hopefully get the odd goal too. I don’t think there are that many full backs like that at our level and that’s why they stand out. Monty provides that too, but isn’t as good a defender as he’s never had the coaching that the full backs have had throughout their careers. It’s not just something you can pick up quickly. Watching Clark since he came back and for me he’s been missing the link up play and the energy to get around the wingers and supporting.  I don’t think he’s done enough of that in games and his work rate in that regard hasn’t been what it should be IMO, almost like he’s been doing enough to get by in games but not going that bit extra that we know he can. 

18 hours ago, mikey said:

they can as long as they didnt take the loan money from the Premiership fund

How many can afford not to take it. I can only think of Exeter who have banked a large amount of transfer money and probably Salford who could be bankrolled by their owners. Carol has said the money offered wasnt enough to cover losses. That would indicate to me that we need it.

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Clarke going back to Leicester in jan. askey says vale won’t look to extend loan....

typical. One of our players who is actually good enough, but no let’s keep going with these squad players!!

Its not typical its common sense. He hasn't been anywhere as good as last year. Gibbo is back training and we have cover in the full back positions. We can only have a limited number of players in the squad due to the new rules. If we are to bring anyone else in we have to reduce numbers and wages.

39 minutes ago, mbycars said:

Its not typical its common sense. He hasn't been anywhere as good as last year. Gibbo is back training and we have cover in the full back positions. We can only have a limited number of players in the squad due to the new rules. If we are to bring anyone else in we have to reduce numbers and wages.

He’s been much better than mills and Fitzpatrick and is ten times the player of those two. Personally don’t see how he’s apparently been so poor? 

still think it’s disappointing that one one of our best players is leaving. Let’s hope this money is reinvested in Someone who will improve the starting 11 as Clarke does. Not another squad player. 

It may just be coincidence but Mitch played in all of those six games in a row we lost and hasn't played in the four undefeated since.  I know he has spoken about off-field issues so I don't think we are getting the best of him at the moment.  I certainly don't think we are getting the value for money from him we did last year.  If Gibbo is nearing fitness I think it makes sense to spend the money elsewhere.  We've missed Gibbo more than anyone lately.  His link up play with Worrall is a key part of our team.

How many can afford not to take it. I can only think of Exeter who have banked a large amount of transfer money and probably Salford who could be bankrolled by their owners. Carol has said the money offered wasnt enough to cover losses. That would indicate to me that we need it.
Loans have to be paid back, I don't know the terms, nor how the club is currently financed. Some clubs will not have had our ST income, but all will have lost match day and hospitality income in excess of the basic grant.

24 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

He’s been much better than mills and Fitzpatrick and is ten times the player of those two. Personally don’t see how he’s apparently been so poor? 

still think it’s disappointing that one one of our best players is leaving. Let’s hope this money is reinvested in Someone who will improve the starting 11 as Clarke does. Not another squad player. 

Absolutely Clark is a better player than those 2, but this time around I don’t think Clark has particularly improved the  starting 11 as we thought he would. I don’t think he’s been putting in the work rate, the link up play or the runs in support of his winger abs I also think we have been susceptible down that side too and whatever is going on in his life has affected his performances, because he’s been nowhere near as good as we know he can be. I’m sure he’ll come back from it and get himself a league club again because he has the ability no doubt. 

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Askey confirms Clark likely to return to Leicester with Mills playing and Gibbons nearing fitness.

Should free up a few quid, and also a squad space as he's 21 (or is it 21 and under?).

Says he'd like to make some signings. Good.

Get two young lads in on loan from a Cat 1 academy (centre half with pace and comfortable on the ball, quick striker, no guarantee of minutes but it's better than wallowing at Fulham U23s), look to see if anyone fancies McKirdy and Robinson (lob in Whitehead too) for half of a season for 50% wages (they had a great 19/20!), and then look to get someone who is like Manny but doesn't disintegrate at whim. Big CM who likes to break lines. Storm the league. Lockdown lifted and Kev Shanahan nailing pints in The Crown come May. You Whites.

Shame about Clark really but he was brought in because of injuries and we are paying more to his wages than before,i do still think we could try get him permanent if we get promotion.

We are crying out for attacking players so i guess some money is going to be freed up

3 hours ago, vale victory said:

Amoo and Rodney aside most of Askeys signings have been his ex players from Macc or the sproson connection

I would like to see us take a different path going forward , other teams seem to have a better scouting network

Taylor is sprosons player and i wouldn't mind him coming back if he is the same player he was for us(sproson might even get him come permanently who knows) but i see what you mean,Askey likes working with players he knows but it would be nice to get a couple with no connection to him,maybe Sinclair has a few contacts that could help us out

Archived