onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

rayzer

Advert

Does Legge have some sort of contract clause that extends his deal if he plays a certain number of games?

His form has been up and down but still don't understand why we would bomb him out like this! He's worthy of a squad place?

Yes, I believe if he plays one more game he gets a new contract for next season.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Uche had his moments but was inconsistent and like Bambi on ice at times. He's clearly improved since but these things happen. We got shut of a certain Ray Kennedy years ago!

I think we need a central defender urgently and a striker. If 2-3 leave then we might need more. The main thing is to tighten the defence and defend better as a unit. If we can do that we'll be fine.

What time does the window close? 17.00? 24.00?

On 25/01/2021 at 20:53, Andyregs said:

I wished we had kept the development squad going. We only had it a year and we had two extremely successful players from it. I wonder where we would be if we had spent the last four years developing it further.

I completely agree with that. For me, it was one of NS's worse decisions. I think he thought it was some sort of guarantee of all of them making the first-team rather than a long-term project that may deliver on some players and not on others.

Even from that one year of the squad there was some serious success. Hugill, obviously was the stand out but Wilson Carvalho had spells in the League with Accington and Macc while Cheye Alexander is on the books of AFC Wimbledon. So, even in one season that's 3/10 who made it at League level. I would have imagined the development and possible sales on those three would have more than covered the annual costs and who knows what it may have produced over a number of years?

I'm sure we're not in a position to "go the whole hog" and do what Paul Wildes did. After all, ten players and coaching staff is a considerable investment in these financially troubled times but it would be nice for Vale to look at models elsewhere and see what could be done perhaps on a smaller scale for now.

I think we will have a development squad in the near future they've already secured a long term lease at Bradley and are looking to get more pitches to the side of it. These things take time as well as money but I'd be very surprised if we haven't got one in the next couple of years Covid permitting of course.

Does Legge have some sort of contract clause that extends his deal if he plays a certain number of games?

His form has been up and down but still don't understand why we would bomb him out like this! He's worthy of a squad place?
I just hope fitz and mills don't have any such clauses in their contracts

2 hours ago, robf said:

I completely agree with that. For me, it was one of NS's worse decisions. I think he thought it was some sort of guarantee of all of them making the first-team rather than a long-term project that may deliver on some players and not on others.

Even from that one year of the squad there was some serious success. Hugill, obviously was the stand out but Wilson Carvalho had spells in the League with Accington and Macc while Cheye Alexander is on the books of AFC Wimbledon. So, even in one season that's 3/10 who made it at League level. I would have imagined the development and possible sales on those three would have more than covered the annual costs and who knows what it may have produced over a number of years?

I'm sure we're not in a position to "go the whole hog" and do what Paul Wildes did. After all, ten players and coaching staff is a considerable investment in these financially troubled times but it would be nice for Vale to look at models elsewhere and see what could be done perhaps on a smaller scale for now.

Was andoh part of the development squad initially too? 

Cant remember, Hugill obviously was and shown that it can be a successful model... one of the lads has gone to AFC Wimbledon after leaving us and doing a stint in non league (Alexander) and O’Neill is doing good things in Ireland.

Was some potential for it to work, big shame we didn’t stick with it as in the year it was up we made huge money from one graduate.

Just thinking through some potential moves for tomorrow.

If Cullen goes, say to Barrow and it is Flitcroft, would he be on the phone to Diving Danny Rose who isn’t playing much at Northampton and played for him at Bury and Mansfield. 

If he hadnt got himself sorted out at Solihull Moors I could have imagined Krystian Pearce getting a call also as a stop gap to the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Just thinking through some potential moves for tomorrow.

If Cullen goes, say to Barrow and it is Flitcroft, would he be on the phone to Diving Danny Rose who isn’t playing much at Northampton and played for him at Bury and Mansfield. 

Scratch that, he actually has been playing recently and scored in there last game! Doh 

5 hours ago, robf said:

With the reduction of over 21 squad players next season it is something we must give consideration to. 

3 hours ago, Andyregs said:

No, Andoh was part of the recruitment drive immediately after Adams left.

He came at a similar time as Aziz Deen-Conteh, Reiss Greenidge and Stéphane Zubar and Harry Panayiotou.

I don't have a problem with development squads or limits on squad sizes. I do think for them to work in tandem the age limit should rise to under 23, or maybe not include players with less than 20 league games at the start of the season. Bigger clubs keep players longer now so most are over age by the time we can look at them. Personally I'd rather us carry on doing what we've done with players recently (even with a development squad); look to get players game time at bigger part-time clubs. That way they get full-time training and man's football. 

Archived