onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

rayzer

21 minutes ago, robf said:

I'd imagine a centre-half is the next priority and I'd absolutely agree with your suggestions. 

However, I wonder if with Theo and McKirdy already deregistered, we're really going to have to ship some out before adding any more? If we get a third signing in can we real afford to carry three non-playing wages? If that's the case I suspect it may mean we have to wait till towards the end of the transfer window when it all goes a bit frantic and we can move some out before adding any more *

* This guess of course now means all the Vale moves will take place at 9am on Monday and not at the end of the month

My guess is that there is enough interest in those players for us to chance de registering them,i am sure the club expects them to move and it might be the same for a couple more BUT if we sign say two u21's then we wont need to de register anyone else.

I would now like to see Pugh bring in a couple of players from his own contacts than players Askey had lined up(Taylor and Guthrie) although having said that they are both decent,i just want to see what contacts Pugh has in the game.

Advert

20 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

My guess is that there is enough interest in those players for us to chance de registering them,i am sure the club expects them to move and it might be the same for a couple more BUT if we sign say two u21's then we wont need to de register anyone else.

I would now like to see Pugh bring in a couple of players from his own contacts than players Askey had lined up(Taylor and Guthrie) although having said that they are both decent,i just want to see what contacts Pugh has in the game.

I would hope his contacts included Nicky Butt.Some great kids coming through at MU.Danny started his career there.

1 minute ago, Howjy04 said:

I would hope his contacts included Nicky Butt.Some great kids coming through at MU.Danny started his career there.

Going off what has been said on the radio it seems he has many contacts in the game due to him playing at some decent clubs in his time,i guess only time will tell

There are players we've had on loan as youngsters who have turned out to have decent moves to higher levels.

Tom Anderson , Shodipo ,even Pyke . Harness another one. 

The players are out there .

We were very unlucky with Tyler Walker too , who knows what would of happened had he stayed fit .

It's about taking the plunge and hoping it pays off 

28 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

There are players we've had on loan as youngsters who have turned out to have decent moves to higher levels.

Tom Anderson , Shodipo ,even Pyke . Harness another one. 

The players are out there .

We were very unlucky with Tyler Walker too , who knows what would of happened had he stayed fit .

It's about taking the plunge and hoping it pays off 

Agreed,we have had some on loan that have gone on to better things,in fact i see Kanu has been playing for Peterborough

It would be nice if we could loan a player,they do a job for us and we try to buy them or take them if released(like we have done with Taylor,tried to do with Clark a couple of times),as i have said before i do think this is the model Carol wants for the club,either sign young players with potential or bring in our own through the club in the hope to sell them on at a later stage( a good model to go by if it works)..Crewe do it,Peterborough do it and Exeter do it,so it can be done.

The only trouble with the loan route is if they do really well then its hard to get them permanently 

"We have 3-4 lads who are prone to injury:  Amoo, Monty, Manny and Cullen.

We simply can't afford to keep all 4 and will have to think carefully about what we do in the summer. I like them all but we just don't have unlimited funds for players who are not fit. I know it isn't their fault. I know they want to play. I get that. But a club our size can't carry 4 players. I'd keep 2/4 and look elsewhere. "     (TheSage)

I totally agree.  It's called 'getting value for money' .... and in their cases, we haven't.   

On 15/01/2021 at 13:27, valeparklife said:

Spot on. Scores a lot of headers from this video - Worrall is a creative phenomenon - Can't wait to see them hopefully link up. 

There's some very good finishing in this - not afraid to shoot, and has a range of headers. Hope to see some of this with the Vale!! 

17 hours ago, werstayinup said:

Agreed,we have had some on loan that have gone on to better things,in fact i see Kanu has been playing for Peterborough

It would be nice if we could loan a player,they do a job for us and we try to buy them or take them if released(like we have done with Taylor,tried to do with Clark a couple of times),as i have said before i do think this is the model Carol wants for the club,either sign young players with potential or bring in our own through the club in the hope to sell them on at a later stage( a good model to go by if it works)..Crewe do it,Peterborough do it and Exeter do it,so it can be done.

The only trouble with the loan route is if they do really well then its hard to get them permanently 

Think the slight difference with Posh is that they will pay say up to 200 K on a rough diamond and then seem to get a huge profit.

Didn't pay off with Mr Miller , but they aren't shy of getting the cheque book out. 

Ivan Toney cost them big bucks and then sold on for silly money. 

Slightly off topic i was reading that Exeter are going to lose a lot of money on i think it's Randell Williams , guy with pony tail. He is injured now so can go for free at the end of the season having already rejected moves to The Championship. 

Mike Bagguley said in his latest article “don’t be surprised if we make another  signing before the end of the month”. I hope he’s right. We need security and then sadly off load. We just can’t afford the sick notes I’m afraid.
In terms of attracting players cast aside by premiership teams I’ve alluded to this in the past but we have to be mindful of money. These wonder kids earn a fortune at 18 and then many fade away so our scouting system has got to be tight and alert to everything going on. My mate ran the line when our youth played Chelsea a few years back and their players continually goaded ours about salaries. Those players never made it(few of ours did) but the potential must have been there.

On 17/01/2021 at 08:14, darren1810 said:

Sadly we aren't a charity we are a League 2 club in the middle of a pandemic with little income. He has to be released, very sad but that's the reality. 

I don’t know about that. Some of the club’s charity work in the community has perhaps been more successful than anything on the pitch this season! 

On 16/01/2021 at 14:04, MBE said:

I'm a little surprised by that decision. If we play 2 up front I thought Robinson would be a good partner getting him running in the channels as a backup to Rodney and Guthrie.

Cullen can't string 5 games together without an injury  - I would have de-registered him and let him find another club. It's highly unlikely we would persist with him beyond this season anyway.

I think Whitehead is lucky too, probably more down to our other Mr Glass. If Manny can't get at least 12 games between now and the end of the season then he should be another one released at the end of the season.

I agree with that. I think Theo, who has a year left, was worth a go ahead of Cullen. 

Port Vale geographically is very near to clubs like City, United, Liverpool, Villa, Leicester, Forest, West Brom etc etc. All massive clubs who will invest heavily in their youth academies, but won't have many actually breaking through into the first team. I'd like to see us take a chance on 2/3/4 a season from these places.

I'd hope our scouts (do we have any?) would be building up a knowledge of the youth teams like most of us know the 1st teams. If you were to ask a football fan "who is the best left back in the Prem" then we'd all have an opinion. We need to be able to say "who are the best 5 left backs at U23 level?" and know the answer, then monitor them, then when they get released we can swoop in. There will be a LOT of good players that fall by the wayside if not given an opportunity. Look how well Aston Villa's youth team played against Liverpool, none of them were embarrassed.

I pine for the days of McPhee, Brooker, Cummins, MBW, Goodlad, Pilkington etc - young players that become sellable assets.

Archived