onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

rayzer

Well, so far so good in terms of the January transfer window, so thank you to Carol and whoever else at the club is involved in bringing in players.

Jake Taylor's return brings some energy and goal scoring (hopefully) to midfield, and Kurtis Guthrie looks a decent signing as someone who can give us a target man like Popey. I still think we need a young centre half who is quick and good in the air - there must be a player we have been looking at given Leon's advancing years.  If we could then wave a magic wand and get Manny fit for every game remaining, that would be like a new signing too.  Hope we really go for it at Forest Green.

Advert

Well, so far so good in terms of the January transfer window, so thank you to Carol and whoever else at the club is involved in bringing in players.
Jake Taylor's return brings some energy and goal scoring (hopefully) to midfield, and Kurtis Guthrie looks a decent signing as someone who can give us a target man like Popey. I still think we need a young centre half who is quick and good in the air - there must be a player we have been looking at given Leon's advancing years.  If we could then wave a magic wand and get Manny fit for every game remaining, that would be like a new signing too.  Hope we really go for it at Forest Green.

Unfortunately, I think there's more chance of us signing lord lucan than there is of manny being fit. Love him as a player, as he's our most talented by far in terms of vision and passing ability, but he's got the body of a 90 year old. Such a shame

5 minutes ago, philmpv said:
25 minutes ago, Lornelounger said:

Unfortunately, I think there's more chance of us signing lord lucan than there is of manny being fit. Love him as a player, as he's our most talented by far in terms of vision and passing ability, but he's got the body of a 90 year old. Such a shame

Spot on!Sadly we need to move on without Manny next season, if the lad doesn't contribute more game time from now until the season ends.Vale must not risk signing any more fitness "chancers" in the future. Manny is such a bloody good player when fit .

16 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Speaking for myself I’ve heard the issues with Mckirdey from more than one player. The fact he’s been deregistered when we know he has something to offer in this league says it all. 

I think there was undoubted workplace tension between McKirdy and Askey, which occurs at every single football club, from Man City to Leek Town, on a weekly basis when a player with an ego isn't picked. 

However, I still struggle to truly grasp with the more outlandish rumours that have been peddled.

36 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think there was undoubted workplace tension between McKirdy and Askey, which occurs at every single football club, from Man City to Leek Town, on a weekly basis when a player with an ego isn't picked. 

However, I still struggle to truly grasp with the more outlandish rumours that have been peddled.

Maybe Askey took the hump with the fall out they had and just wrote him off as a bad job? 

33 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Maybe Askey took the hump with the fall out they had and just wrote him off as a bad job? 

I think McKirdy is probably a right pain, and not as good as he thinks he is. I think he probably fell out with Askey regarding playtime and role.

However, some have put forward all sorts of theories about coaches, staff, and players, which I don't really buy.

48 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Theo has been de-listed after we've signed Guthrie.

I'm a little surprised by that decision. If we play 2 up front I thought Robinson would be a good partner getting him running in the channels as a backup to Rodney and Guthrie.

Cullen can't string 5 games together without an injury  - I would have de-registered him and let him find another club. It's highly unlikely we would persist with him beyond this season anyway.

I think Whitehead is lucky too, probably more down to our other Mr Glass. If Manny can't get at least 12 games between now and the end of the season then he should be another one released at the end of the season.

The thing now is that i do think one or two more will come in BUT in they aren't u21 then it is who will you de-register? i guess Whitehead would be next choice for me or even Manny if never fit(although when fit can we afford to not have him? i would sooner have someone who is going give us 35-40 games a season)

The thing now is that i do think one or two more will come in BUT in they aren't u21 then it is who will you de-register? i guess Whitehead would be next choice for me or even Manny if never fit(although when fit can we afford to not have him? i would sooner have someone who is going give us 35-40 games a season)
I'd keep Manny if he could only manage 20 games a season, as his quality in those 20 would be head and shoulders above anyone else. Whitehead could easily give us 35-40 games a season, but you wouldn't want that would you?! Obviously, if we could get a player of mannys quality who isn't injury prone it's a no brainer, but then again that player wouldn't be in league 2 would he?

I think at this rate, it is inevitable that Pugh is given till May, partly to save funds whilst the club has no income (which is fine).

I hope we use this opportunity to sort out the recruitment department. Go to one of the clever clubs (Brentford, Barnsley, Peterborough, Accrington, Forest Green) and pluck one of their lads with the chance to overhaul how we do things here. Bring the analytics, contacts, and ideas with him. Proper shake up. Have a clear strategy that starts in the boardroom. Get the entire club to buy into it.

Hit the ground running in the summer, overhauling the squad, trimming the old boys and the deadwood, and ensuring the disaster of last summer doesn't happen again. We have all sorts of 'directors' but I still feel recruitment needs some proper direction and innovation. We can't afford another season of '27-31 year old backups released by fellow League 2 clubs, alongside panic signings when first choices fall through/players leave, all reliant on agent links/who the manager is aware of'. We're paying the price for that now, with what looks like a proper mid-table squad, full of players who have no business being in a playoff side.

Archived