onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

rayzer

40 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Assume McKirdy will be deregistered.

Not sure if Taylor counts as he is just turned 22 so may be a case if 21 at a certain date your classed as underage?

Taylor will be an over 21 as he was born before 1st Jan 1999 which was the cut off for this season.

He’s better than the likes of Whitehead and Burgess (albeit that isn’t saying much) so would be an upgrade on what we’ve got. Not convinced he’s made for playing in a 2 in central midfield. Maybe in the longer term he would do well as a 10 playing off a centre forward.

Advert

I think Taylor struggles to start for us if we go back to playing 442, we should be looking at a Joyce/Manny replacement box to box or combative midfielder.
If you were Taylor would you sign for us not knowing the manager or formation we are likely to play and then end up stuck being used as a sub for the next few months.

I disagree with this... not sure if it’s just me, but I see Joyce going the same way as Legge, he seems to be that split second slower at making decisions, gives away fouls, getting booked more, misses balls he should be challenging for, simply because of that anticipation skills

Taylor and conlon in the middle - I also think Taylor could play wide left, cutting in

I doubt we will play 4-4-2 with the players we’ve got regularly... but I will tell you something...

Joyce doing his thing with Taylor and Conlon in the form he is in could be very good indeed. Taylor also makes the 4-3-3 successful as he gets forwards more than Burgess does for instance so doesn’t see the one striker isolated down the middle as much.

Taylor was mainly in there with Burgess who played well last season but Conlon wasn’t fit when Taylor played then didn’t break in. We’d actually possibly have goals from midfield if Taylor’s form of last season prevails and Conlon.

That's a very good point and one that I feel gets overlooked.

We need to think outside the box and look at what happens in rugby union. 

Used properly - proactively - it could make a big difference.

Maybe top Premiership teams do this now. But at our level I think it gets overlooked and in 90% of cases subs are only used when injuries occur and not in a tactical way.

10 hours ago, valefan16 said:

I doubt we will play 4-4-2 with the players we’ve got regularly... but I will tell you something...

Joyce doing his thing with Taylor and Conlon in the form he is in could be very good indeed. Taylor also makes the 4-3-3 successful as he gets forwards more than Burgess does for instance so doesn’t see the one striker isolated down the middle as much.

Taylor was mainly in there with Burgess who played well last season but Conlon wasn’t fit when Taylor played then didn’t break in. We’d actually possibly have goals from midfield if Taylor’s form of last season prevails and Conlon.

It will be interesting to see how Pughy lines them up against FGR.

I would be using 442 against lesser teams at home who we need to go and attack. Jake doesnt really fit into that for me, A fit Manny and Conlon would be the ideal partnership.

I liked how he changed to 4231 in the second half to sure things up, and Taylor could absolutely play the number 10 rile that Burgess did.

I would be sticking to 433 against the better sides, to pack the middle of the park, and we know Taylor plays well in that formation.

I hope he signs.

17 minutes ago, TheSage said:

That's a very good point and one that I feel gets overlooked.

We need to think outside the box and look at what happens in rugby union. 

Used properly - proactively - it could make a big difference.

Maybe top Premiership teams do this now. But at our level I think it gets overlooked and in 90% of cases subs are only used when injuries occur and not in a tactical way.

I agree. 

It also allows for players to over perform for 60 minutes and then be replaced by fresh legs. Currently being exploited with Hurst perhaps.

I wonder how many injuries come towards the end of a game when players are overstretching as their energy fades.

I agree. 
It also allows for players to over perform for 60 minutes and then be replaced by fresh legs. Currently being exploited with Hurst perhaps.
I wonder how many injuries come towards the end of a game when players are overstretching as their energy fades.
I've often wondered why pope been used this way just tell him run your knackers off for 45 mins and then we will sub you second half

12 hours ago, fraggle said:

I disagree with this... not sure if it’s just me, but I see Joyce going the same way as Legge, he seems to be that split second slower at making decisions, gives away fouls, getting booked more, misses balls he should be challenging for, simply because of that anticipation skills

Taylor and conlon in the middle - I also think Taylor could play wide left, cutting in

Agree Joyce has been woeful this season. To be fair I didn’t really rate him last year either 

12 hours ago, fraggle said:

@fraggle I agree 100% with that. I think age is sadly catching up with both of them. 

Archived