onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

rayzer

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

But then all the work to get to that point is wasted and a potential signing could get away. 

So be it. If the club was that bothered about signing players identified by the previous manager they should have kept him. It makes no sense for those other than the manager to be signing players now. It’s what scumwaite did and everyone kicked off when he did it. The manager should be signing players unless there is a director of football. What’s to say we sign 2/3 players identified by the previous manager, they could be of the same quality as the other dross that’s been signed and the new manager would immediately have a problem. Less of a budget / room to sign players he wants and more players to potentially move on. It makes no sense what so ever. 

Advert

I've said similar on another thread regarding signing players it makes me think the future manager is already at the club as in Sinclair otherwise you will have a guy coming in with his budget all spent the week before on players who he doesn't want or don't fit into the system he wants to play

25 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

So be it. If the club was that bothered about signing players identified by the previous manager they should have kept him. It makes no sense for those other than the manager to be signing players now. It’s what scumwaite did and everyone kicked off when he did it. The manager should be signing players unless there is a director of football. What’s to say we sign 2/3 players identified by the previous manager, they could be of the same quality as the other dross that’s been signed and the new manager would immediately have a problem. Less of a budget / room to sign players he wants and more players to potentially move on. It makes no sense what so ever. 

The players are not identified by the manager, thats what the scouting network is for. They present their findings to the manager and he decides as the last part of a long process. If we don't appoint a manger until after the window he can bring no players in, is that better than having some he didn't want? 

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Manager has the final say. For me a club should not be signing players without a manager. It makes no sense. 

Lots of clubs do this?

Recruitment team scout and sign players.

Head coach/manager has to get the best out of them.

If we're doing proper scouting them I'm not against this. How many times do you see clubs employ managers that ship out the majority of players, sign "their" players, get sacked, then someone else comes in and does it all again. Imagine Tony Pulis taking over from Arsene Wenger (hypothetically).

20 minutes ago, dishydave said:

I've said similar on another thread regarding signing players it makes me think the future manager is already at the club as in Sinclair otherwise you will have a guy coming in with his budget all spent the week before on players who he doesn't want or don't fit into the system he wants to play

Any manager coming to the Vale in January has got to work  mainly  with the players that are already there,  as did Askey when he came in.  The replacements will already have been identified, getting any of them is the difficult part. A new manager may have different contacts and can bring 2 or 3 loan players in, that is if they fit within the player budget.

19 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Lots of clubs do this?

Recruitment team scout and sign players.

Head coach/manager has to get the best out of them.

If we're doing proper scouting them I'm not against this. How many times do you see clubs employ managers that ship out the majority of players, sign "their" players, get sacked, then someone else comes in and does it all again. Imagine Tony Pulis taking over from Arsene Wenger (hypothetically).

I know a lot of premiership sides do this however, Whether other sides do it or not they still have a manager. We don’t. We shouldn’t be bringing players in without one. 

Big issue is our scouting team. Wouldn’t trust them to sign anyone half decent at the moment. Even with a decent scouting team surely the manager should have the final say? 

I thought we had already maxed out under EFL rules our squad.

If we want to sign we need to either offload some to other clubs OR leave current players out the squad but still pay them. Both have problems the first is getting rid of players a new manager may find useful / want 2. Our budget in these times mean all players have to be in the squad not just sit on the side lines.

Also if we get a new manager have we any left in the bank for new players as those managers being touted can we afford. If we paid JA up then there will be even less in the bank to use.

If rumours carry any weight I feel it will be Pugh in temporary charge until all applications are in then an internal appointment of say Sinclair. I am only saying this because looking at it realistically in these COVID times what else can we do, with no money coming in can we not afford to do anything else.

Worrying times, think we will never really know what went on behind the scenes with JA and our sudden drop of form.

UTV

15 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I know a lot of premiership sides do this however, Whether other sides do it or not they still have a manager. We don’t. We shouldn’t be bringing players in without one. 

Big issue is our scouting team. Wouldn’t trust them to sign anyone half decent at the moment. Even with a decent scouting team surely the manager should have the final say? 

I agree - our scouting has been catastrophic for years now. Who was doing the scouting for Horton when we signed McPhee, Brooker, Cummins, Goodlad, MBW, Armstrong etc? Was it Ray Williams?

I know Brentford, Barnsley and Cambridge have Head Coaches, rather than 'managers' but not aware of others. I can see both sides of the coin.

UV putting some rumours on Twitter... with a clear caveat that they come with a huge pinch of salt.

One is some cashew nuts and he asks who makes them. KP. Could this by Kristian Pearce?

The other he has basically spelled out is Kurtis Guthrie.

Again... huge pinch of salt 

Rival clubs' 'genuine interest' in longstanding Port Vale target Jake Taylor - Stoke-on-Trent Live (stokesentinel.co.uk)

Sproson doing what he's paid by his clients to do, I am certain that Carol won't be bullied or blackmailed into a decision to make early decisions on Taylor,I still feel it's the incoming Manager/Coach's job to sign the staff he want's and if the candidates have anything about them they will be looking in other areas that need strengthening.

28 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

UV putting some rumours on Twitter... with a clear caveat that they come with a huge pinch of salt.

One is some cashew nuts and he asks who makes them. KP. Could this by Kristian Pearce?

The other he has basically spelled out is Kurtis Guthrie.

Again... huge pinch of salt 

Forward called Nuttall maybe, on loan at Northampton and not playing.

Archived