onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

rayzer

Advert

6 hours ago, Frank Mustard said:

More interference. What if the new manager doesn't want him? John must have been pulling his hair out.

No interference. Danny Pugh is manager for the time being, and will be able to bring players in and let them go...according to Colin Garlick's recent interview! It's the only way to travel, really - if we can't decide on a manager until. e.g., 2nd week in Feb, then we've lost the window to bring in new / ship out the dead wood! Not ideal - but it is the most practical approach!

1 hour ago, MBE said:

I've just read them and have had my confidence dented by the direction we are going in. I maybe wrong, but that interview rather sounds like the job is Danny Pugh's to loose. Give him the backing in the window and hope he achieves some results to earn the job.

I hope I'm wrong but if thats the case what is the point of sacking JA?  We may as well stuck with him until the end of the season.

Obviously the powers that be think enough of Pugh to retain him, but someone from the backroom staff was going to have to take over short term, and if he can show an immediate improvement in results then it's only fair he be given a chance, say until the end of the season if results are good enough.  Hopefully he can do a good job, we really need the points, plus it'll take the pressure off having to make a rushed appointment, and allow us to negotiate a bit more with our short listed candidates.

We clearly wanted to give Askey every opportunity to turn things around, but the last couple of games proved a bridge too far, so some signings have no doubt been agreed in principle with a view to John making changes quite early in the window.  To quote  from the interview "...in the meantime we have a January window in place. We had plans before that and so are continuing to do that..."  and “We are carrying on, we would look to bring in because we all have a responsibility for the club. That is the right thing to do. I appreciate people would expect a manager to want to have some manoeuvrability and that may be the case."

In view of our dire form, missing players and league position, it makes a lot of sense to add a couple as soon as we can, even if that's without the blessing of a new incoming manager .

21 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

A centre half and a mid-fielder should be fairly straight forward, major changes will have to be left until the Summer to suit the new manager.

Fair comment.

I agree with you. In the short term that should be adequate to see us ok.

12 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

The Taylor signing is a no brainier imo. I’m sure any manager would prefer Taylor to choose from rather Whitehead or Burgess. If he wants another midfielder, he can get rid of one of them. I also think we should push ahead with getting rid of Robinson, McKirdy and Crookes to free up space.

Plus by the time we get the new manager in situ, time will be running out in the window. As long as the new manager has scope to bring in 1 or 2, I’m not adverse to bringing in Taylor and shifting the deadwood in the meantime. 

i agree re Taylor, but the Scunny manager barely gave him game time until recently. What is there to say a new manager might not see Taylor in his preferred system. And Burgess flourished as a pairing with Taylor until Taylor left in January.

I totally get that the sands of time are ticking. A new manager should be in place by next Friday 15th at the latest giving them a good 2 weeks to sign players. Surely we have been pro-active rather than re-active and have some sort of strategy in place to enable an appointment within 11 days of the sacking. 

My worst fear is Danny Pugh becomes the 'cheapo option'  based on the fact he is here in situ.

My worst fear is Danny Pugh becomes the 'cheapo option'  based on the fact he is here in situ.

No one has a crystal ball....apart from the numpties on another forum who knew Askey was not the man to take us forward months ago "but no-one would listen".
Pugh may well turn out to be a superb manager, who knows but in the short term he knows the players we have, he is obviously trusted by the top brass and probably deserves a bit of backing from us fans at this time.
I for one don't have a preference for any candidate, I only hope whoever does take control actually HAS control and is given enough time and resource to bring the type of play and kind of results we all crave.

Sorry for going 'off-topic.
With regards the transfer window if players are already in the process of joining or leaving then I don't see a problem with that.
Any new manager will need to start with what's already here anyway.
Of course losing the manager may alter players thoughts and perhaps some who may have been for leaving may change their mind in the hope of impressing any new manager.
As usual it's never dull at the Vale.

12 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

Sorry for going 'off-topic.
With regards the transfer window if players are already in the process of joining or leaving then I don't see a problem with that.
Any new manager will need to start with what's already here anyway.
Of course losing the manager may alter players thoughts and perhaps some who may have been for leaving may change their mind in the hope of impressing any new manager.
As usual it's never dull at the Vale.

I don’t see why we would continue to sign players that had been identified by the previous manager? Why would the new manager want this? For me that points to someone behind the scenes signing players which isn’t on. I think we should be leaving it until a new manager is named. Let them assess the squad and sign their players 

Just now, Rampant Zebra said:

the club is continually monitoring potential signings and has a whole network of people involved in this. The manager normally just has the final say. Why should all that stop just because there is no actual manager in place? 

Manager has the final say. For me a club should not be signing players without a manager. It makes no sense. 

Would love us to sign a player we haven't heard of. Would suggest that the scouting department is doing it's job, which is to find players the club isn't aware of.

Fans make judgements based on 'do I recognise the name', which boxes off what they deem 'good signings' to:

1. Players who have played for Vale before

2. Players who are well-known in the lower leagues

The top three scorers in the league this season are Mullin, Johnson, and Watters, and you can guarantee if any of those had been signed it would be a case of 'ffs another cheap chancer, need PROVEN players', which translates as 'I've not heard of him so he must be bad'.

Our signings have been lazy, basic, obvious, and without any creativity for years. Forest Green lead the way for signing players none of us have heard of, but ensuring they're of good quality. We need to escape this cycle of 'have I heard of him?' to judge a signing.

Archived