onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

rayzer

Spot on BE. They can live in 2013 if they want, but I know what I see whenever he plays, and it isn't a good player

As you know Phil this line will still be trotted out by some in 10 years time.
if we just get the service right......more than a head on a stick.......we all know what he can do......
He is certainly not the 2013 version, and indeed a pale version of the 2017 version who saved us from relegation.
struggled to score last season when we were doing well, and negligible contribution this season. Every rare goal results in the entire back catalogue being trotted out as ‘evidence’ that he’s still got it.
Devante has scored more and created more, but don’t let’s the stats get in the way of misplaced sentiment eh!
We are bemoaning the lack of goals on one hand, but a hardened band are happy with a No9 who rarely looks like scoring, and is dominated by younger / fitter centre halves.
still, let’s keep the faith!

Advert

2 hours ago, MBE said:

Interesting to see Luke Norris has signed for Stevenage. A player who I thought would have been just the type we needed to replace Pope playing in JA's system. Not prolific but a good mobile presence.

Yeah this surprised me. He's a really good L2 target man with a decent goal record.

I feel I'm always casting envious glances at other club's recruitment.

I still think Pope has a role to play, but it's with two large caveats:

1. A massive reduction in pay. I think he's still our top earner, and whilst he deserved that contract at the time he was given it, and I'll never begrudge a penny we give to him, we've got to be smart with our finances with Covid + the new salary cap, and we cannot afford his current wages for what is, at best, a 2nd choice striker

2. Pair him with a partner, and play to his strengths. Pope still has an outstanding ability to control the ball and lay it off; in my view, he's better at this than he is in the air, as he's lost that spring that made him so dangerous.

I'm happy for Pope to stay, but he'd have to accept being in and out the team, on decreased pay, not being captain still, and we'd have to commit to employing a certain system to maximise his inevitably waning talents.

It's not as sure-fire as 'get rid', but also not 'keep at all costs'. If he's keen to retire here, and doesn't mind a bench role/tight away game role, as well as less money, then get him signed up and sign another striker.

The only reason Pope will still be here for much longer is because of his connections to the club and his past records. He offers very little these days and is too easy to play against.

If he was to go in January, would we miss him? Not the current Tom Pope we wouldn’t.

7 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

If he was to go in January, would we miss him? Not the current Tom Pope we wouldn’t

With JA at them helm I would tend to agree however depending on the new manager and how he wants to play, Tom could be quite pivotal for the reminder of the season.

I could certainly see Tom as captain and the 1st name on the team sheet in a Cowley or Parkinson led team playing the ball from back to front very quickly. 

1. A massive reduction in pay. I think he's still our top earner, and whilst he deserved that contract at the time he was given it, and I'll never begrudge a penny we give to him, we've got to be smart with our finances with Covid + the new salary cap, and we cannot afford his current wages for what is, at best, a 2nd choice striker
2. Pair him with a partner, and play to his strengths. Pope still has an outstanding ability to control the ball and lay it off; in my view, he's better at this than he is in the air, as he's lost that spring that made him so dangerous.
I'm happy for Pope to stay, but he'd have to accept being in and out the team, on decreased pay, not being captain still, and we'd have to commit to employing a certain system to maximise his inevitably waning talents.
It's not as sure-fire as 'get rid', but also not 'keep at all costs'. If he's keen to retire here, and doesn't mind a bench role/tight away game role, as well as less money, then get him signed up and sign another striker.
I can just about understand some wanting to keep him until the summer, just, but another contract? Really? Serious question which I'd be grateful if you answered honestly - If, in the summer, we signed a striker of pope's age and record (both in terms of goals and overall contribution) over the last 24 months, would you be happy? I personally think there'd be marches in the streets of Burslem and possible lynchings

1 minute ago, philmpv said:
1 hour ago, Joe B said:

I can just about understand some wanting to keep him until the summer, just, but another contract? Really? Serious question which I'd be grateful if you answered honestly - If, in the summer, we signed a striker of pope's age and record (both in terms of goals and overall contribution) over the last 24 months, would you be happy? I personally think there'd be marches in the streets of Burslem and possible lynchings

It would depend on what that striker offered. If the striker was a poacher who contributed nothing bar goals, then I'd agree - useless. Pope can offer more than that, in certain situations. He's averaging a goal every 194 minutes at present, or 1 in 3, which isn't terrible considering we're not very good and he's often been brought on as a sub in desperate situations where we go 442 and throw games away.

I am no massive fan of Pope, but he's still got a great ability to receive to feet/chest, hold it, and pick out a pass. Does he deserve to start every game? No. Should he ever be played as a lone striker? No.

Is there a place for a player with target man attributes who can hold balls up when we're struggling to get a foothold in a game away from home? For the right price, yes. He'd be third choice, behind Rodney and another forward, but I wouldn't be too fussed at rolling out Tom Pope away at Grimbsy in an injury crisis on a Tuesday in February. 

I wouldn't be pleased if Pope was starting regularly, but in League 2 you're unlikely to have 3-4 prolific scorers at the same time (as we've learned to our detriment this season). If he was on much reduced terms, playing a few away games/coming on to see out games, I wouldn't be against an extension.

If he wants regular starts/similar money to what he earns now, then no chance; thanks for the service but he's getting released.

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

Oh, also; a genuine number 10, please. A player who's primary job is to receive between lines, turn, and create. 

Our reliance on the flanks is getting tedious. Myrie Williams and Vincent thrived largely due to the movement and aggression of Pope, but also because Dodds was able to link things in the final third and drag defenders around. 

Bar McKirdy/Manny (on his way/injured), we don't have a proper creative midfielder. Jake Taylor got goals but I would not consider him a creator.

That for me is the big change to come, hopefully.

I dont believe 4 3 3 is the way to play. Two wingers dont give us overall balance in the team, attacking and defending.

Two up front is a must. 352  532  442  whatever suits the players we have but 433 does not.

2 hours ago, SuperHuman said:

The only reason Pope will still be here for much longer is because of his connections to the club and his past records. He offers very little these days and is too easy to play against.

If he was to go in January, would we miss him? Not the current Tom Pope we wouldn’t.

Not the only reason.  He may still be here due to a new manager seeing some worth in him as a player.  A new manager may not be so glued to playing 433.   Whatever the prefered formation, if the Cullens, Robinsons and Co of this world don't step up then TP is still very much an option.  From what I've seen so far I wouldn't be picking the current Robinson or current Cullen over current Pope.  Therein lies part of our problem.

Archived