onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

rayzer

Advert

You don't get rid of any player who has the ability to save you from relegation in the next few months. Certainly not to your rivals.

A lot depends on who comes in and who leaves but we'd be daft to get rid of Pope's experience and ability to score a vital goal when we're in this precarious position.

In the summer, who knows? But not now.

On 02/01/2021 at 11:17, boslemportvale91 said:

I do think we need to look at a young goalkeeper. Either one from our youth set up or a rough diamond released from the prem league.

Sooner or later Brown is gonna retire or leave. Visser seems to be back up and I really don't fancy seeing us struggling for a solid number one like that season where we had a load of shocking - average keepers on the books like Lainton/Hornby/Kroos or Fasan/Mehmet/Boot

I think we need to bite the bullet, and stick with these two? Visser has shown mostly good things during his rare appearances; Brown, with a steadier defence in front of him, ought to be good for another season. I wouldn't mind seeing Jak Alnwick back here if we could prise him away from St Mirren? Such massive potential when he was here!

51 minutes ago, TheSage said:

You don't get rid of any player who has the ability to save you from relegation in the next few months. Certainly not to your rivals.

A lot depends on who comes in and who leaves but we'd be daft to get rid of Pope's experience and ability to score a vital goal when we're in this precarious position.

In the summer, who knows? But not now.

Not sure about this - since the Man C game, most of the talk about Pope's performances have been about him missing sitters / penalties? 

Not sure about this - since the Man C game, most of the talk about Pope's performances have been about him missing sitters / penalties? 
I'm beginning to think that Pope has surreptitiously enlisted the services of David blaine, given how many appear to be under the illusion that he still scores goals and wins headers

Just now, philmpv said:
12 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

I'm beginning to think that Pope has surreptitiously enlisted the services of David blaine, given how many appear to be under the illusion that he still scores goals and wins headers

Hahaha!!! 

1 hour ago, philmpv said:
1 hour ago, LancyTony said:

Pope is a classic lower league 'I recognise him so he must be good' player. Lower league fans largely make their judgements based on the factor of 'have I heard of him?', which Pope, with his 33 goal season and twitter exploits, ranks high in.

He can still do a job as a squad player but Scunny fans were buzzing, thinking he'd be the solution to their striking problems. 

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Pope is a classic lower league 'I recognise him so he must be good' player. Lower league fans largely make their judgements based on the factor of 'have I heard of him?', which Pope, with his 33 goal season and twitter exploits, ranks high in.

He can still do a job as a squad player but Scunny fans were buzzing, thinking he'd be the solution to their striking problems. 

So many footballers over the years have played for their country, longer than they should have; have played for their clubs longer than they should. I absolutely agree with anyone who says TP has been a legend with the Vale - he has...name carved in stone! But, on a par with 3(?) / 4(?) other players, on 3 goals, and behind Conlon on 4, and Rodders on 5, if he went to Scunny, it would free up his actual salary and give us another squad place under the salary cap. If they were to give us a fee, too, that would be awesome. He's not our solution to our striking problem, and may well be occupying a space we could fill with someone who is? 

15 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

So many footballers over the years have played for their country, longer than they should have; have played for their clubs longer than they should. I absolutely agree with anyone who says TP has been a legend with the Vale - he has...name carved in stone! But, on a par with 3(?) / 4(?) other players, on 3 goals, and behind Conlon on 4, and Rodders on 5, if he went to Scunny, it would free up his actual salary and give us another squad place under the salary cap. If they were to give us a fee, too, that would be awesome. He's not our solution to our striking problem, and may well be occupying a space we could fill with someone who is? 

We don't appear to have found a ready made replacement among our recent recruits though.  Maybe it's not as easy as it seems, time will tell.  January probably isn't going to be the time to do it.  Anyway, whoever becomes manager ultimately will have to find a suitable replacement for a guy that is a club legend.  A guy who, despite advancing years, still looks a better bet than several of the other strikers currently on our books.

It's also possible that a new manager may wish to play 2 strikers, and might think TP still has a role to play as one of the pair.  Again, time will tell.

Accrington Stanley have today signed Gary Roberts from Bala Town in the Welsh league he's 36 and was released by Wigan in September he last played for Stanley 16 years ago can you imagine the furore on here if we had signed him while sitting 8th in the 1st Div. accusations of a lack of ambition, tight fisted owners ...Funny old game Saint.

4 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

We don't appear to have found a ready made replacement among our recent recruits though.  Maybe it's not as easy as it seems, time will tell.  January probably isn't going to be the time to do it.  Anyway, whoever becomes manager ultimately will have to find a suitable replacement for a guy that is a club legend.  A guy who, despite advancing years, still looks a better bet than several of the other strikers currently on our books.

It's also possible that a new manager may wish to play 2 strikers, and might think TP still has a role to play as one of the pair.  Again, time will tell.

This is the thing, a new manager may want to play a completely different system than Askey and this could open the door to some players who have not figured as much as maybe they should have done.

Tom Pope going to a team below us with Vale in the current situation would be sheer madness. His performance in the 2nd half vs Mansfield is testimony to what he can do and what he brings to the team even though he didn't score.

As much as I'd love to see Jake Taylor back at Vale I can't see it happening especially with JA/DK gone.

11 hours ago, blackdog said:

Accrington Stanley have today signed Gary Roberts from Bala Town in the Welsh league he's 36 and was released by Wigan in September he last played for Stanley 16 years ago can you imagine the furore on here if we had signed him while sitting 8th in the 1st Div. accusations of a lack of ambition, tight fisted owners ...Funny old game Saint.

Anyone who knows the first thing about football knows that Gary Roberts is a class lower league signing so anyone moaning would as Artell said' be uneducated ' . 

Archived