onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

rayzer

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

Micky Cullerton came through the system Mark Bright and Billy Paynter there must be more but I'm struggling, often thought what a bonus it would be if we could sell on a striker like the lad at Exeter who's name I can't remember, in fact who have we brought through the youth system in any position and sold for a good wedge say in the last 25 years ?

Could you class Robbie Earle released by that lot down the road ?

Watkins?? exeter

Advert

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

Micky Cullerton came through the system Mark Bright and Billy Paynter there must be more but I'm struggling, often thought what a bonus it would be if we could sell on a striker like the lad at Exeter who's name I can't remember, in fact who have we brought through the youth system in any position and sold for a good wedge say in the last 25 years ?

Could you class Robbie Earle released by that lot down the road ?

Anthony Gardner £855k answered my own question.......Anybody else ?

10 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Anthony Gardner £855k answered my own question.......Anybody else ?

Not the youth team but did Hugill start off in that development squad we had?

To make money on a player they dont really have to be prolific Exeter have sold a few of their younger players and clubs are watching their winger now. I watched the QPR game the other night and their winger is touted about for millions with premier teams interested but he was shocking in that game so who knows what clubs look for,i do think if we signed players like Taylor and Clark to go with Rodney all imo could go on to be looked at by clubs so could prove good investments for Vale

5 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Not the youth team but did Hugill start off in that development squad we had?

To make money on a player they dont really have to be prolific Exeter have sold a few of their younger players and clubs are watching their winger now. I watched the QPR game the other night and their winger is touted about for millions with premier teams interested but he was shocking in that game so who knows what clubs look for,i do think if we signed players like Taylor and Clark to go with Rodney all imo could go on to be looked at by clubs so could prove good investments for Vale

It's not easy is it ?  It's like having a stable of race horses and hoping one will come through and win the Gold Cup, we might get lucky with someone like Rodney.

2 minutes ago, blackdog said:

It's not easy is it ?  It's like having a stable of race horses and hoping one will come through and win the Gold Cup, we might get lucky with someone like Rodney.

It certainly isn't easy but i guess it can be done but finding the right players is the really hard part,yes Rodney is raw but there is certainly something about him

2 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

It certainly isn't easy but i guess it can be done but finding the right players is the really hard part,yes Rodney is raw but there is certainly something about him

It's not an exact science, which if it was they would all be at it I suppose, Crewe have some very good young players who have been together for 5 years min. unless someone comes in during the January window they wont have sold anyone for a few years and if they do I doubt anyone would pay more than C.350k which a few years ago they would have gone for double that.

Added to the fact that the premier league have snapped up all UK prospects and most of the worlds come to that, then to find a lad who will be sold for big money in the 2nd division and go on to the premier league is getting virtually impossible. 

Styles of play makes or breaks a striker.

Play Pope in a quick, counter attacking team and expect him to run onto through balls and he will struggle.

Play Pope in a team that pings a ton of crosses into the box and he will thrive.

We need to be spotting players that can slot into our way of playing (if we have one!)

Watters at Crawley just suits their style. It rarely works to say "he scored 20 goals for them so let's sign him and he'll score 20 for us"

I don't mind the Joyce/Legge/Brown type signings but we need to have 2-3 "chancers" a season in my opinion too. 18-21 year olds released from higher clubs that we've monitored over the course of a season or two. 

I still pine for the days of McPhee, Brooker, MBW, Armstrong, Pilkington, Goodlad, Cummins type signings!

Askey confirms Clark likely to return to Leicester with Mills playing and Gibbons nearing fitness.

Should free up a few quid, and also a squad space as he's 21 (or is it 21 and under?).

Says he'd like to make some signings. Good.

Get two young lads in on loan from a Cat 1 academy (centre half with pace and comfortable on the ball, quick striker, no guarantee of minutes but it's better than wallowing at Fulham U23s), look to see if anyone fancies McKirdy and Robinson (lob in Whitehead too) for half of a season for 50% wages (they had a great 19/20!), and then look to get someone who is like Manny but doesn't disintegrate at whim. Big CM who likes to break lines. Storm the league. Lockdown lifted and Kev Shanahan nailing pints in The Crown come May. You Whites.

19 hours ago, Mario said:

an't remember the last striker we brought through from the youth team that went on to have a prolific career.

What about Dave Hibbert? He was absolutely brilliant in his debut at home to Luton who where top the league at the time. Got a bigger move to PNE after only s few games which I think Vale had a fee.

2 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Clarke going back to Leicester in jan. askey says vale won’t look to extend loan....

typical. One of our players who is actually good enough, but no let’s keep going with these squad players!!

I would take Clark over Fitz and Mills any day as full back cover/starters.

Think the issue is wages.

A side note; does anyone know anything about the youth academy? We often hear rumblings of a decent player (Smith was touted for a while, Gibbons seem to come from nowhere) and I wondered if anyone was keeping an eye on it.

The club website has a list of youth players but they're in last season's kit, so maybe outdated? Or possibly just in last season's kit. Agho is still on the list.

The clubs like Exeter/Crewe always have 1-2 lads pushing. Have we got anyone? I know Eden Bailey has been knocking about the first team so presume he'll be off on loan to Newcastle Town.

The problem with our youngsters is that as soon as they show any potential, Prem clubs can snap them up for a small fee.  We've lost about half a dozen in the last few years like this.  Eden Bailey, grandson of Terry, is doing OK and scoring goals for the youth team but we'll have to give him time and a few Wrights pies to see if he can make it.

I'd like to think we could tap Wolves up for one or two of the lads who played against us. 

Archived