onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

rayzer

1 hour ago, Portvale4 said:

It’s all well and good saying that, but just imagine the meltdown amongst our fans if we signed an unknown young lad from Doncaster in the summer. 

Thats what i was getting at near the end of my post,had we signed watters then on here and fb would of been unbelievable but sometimes especially in this league you have to take a chance

Advert

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:
1 hour ago, Portvale4 said:
It’s all well and good saying that, but just imagine the meltdown amongst our fans if we signed an unknown young lad from Doncaster in the summer. 

I would say a lot of the unknown quantities were largely greeted well (I don't recall to much uproar around the signings of Rodney Mills or Fitzpatrick). It was the known quantities that raised eyebrows (McKirdy and Theo)

Mills and Fitzpatrick were/are experienced players so there wouldn't be much uproar we are on about young lads released etc

19 hours ago, mikey said:

Taylor is a player I would like to see back here, but I think our only hope is if we can have an offer acceped for a permanent transfer. Do we have £100k going spare right now? 🤔

Clubs in L1 and L2 cannot pay transfer fees for players

I always want us to find that chancer like it seems we have in Rodney and to some extent players like Burgess but when we dont sign NAMES then this site and others go into meltdown,my ideal thing has always been that we uncover a youth striker who comes into the team and starts banging them in like Zamora with Brighton but i am still waiting for that to happen(Paynter has been the closest i think but wasn't prolific)
I know, I'm the same. I'd much rather us take a chance on unproven young players with potential to play higher than season after season sign the same old 'league 2 quality players' that are never going to play above league 2 for a reason. Over the past few years, by far our better players have been the young 'chancers' (Alnwick, Jones, streete, smith, gibbons, taylor, Burgess, to name but a few). Yes, there is a place for a few experienced heads, but imho these should be the exception rather than the rule. At our level, raw ability counts for a lot more than experience, since a youngster with a modicum of skill and ability can run rings around the dross that is in most teams in this league.

I remember when Brian mills came through. I was so excited by him. It's such a pity he got struck down like he did

33 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I know, I'm the same. I'd much rather us take a chance on unproven young players with potential to play higher than season after season sign the same old 'league 2 quality players' that are never going to play above league 2 for a reason. Over the past few years, by far our better players have been the young 'chancers' (Alnwick, Jones, streete, smith, gibbons, taylor, Burgess, to name but a few). Yes, there is a place for a few experienced heads, but imho these should be the exception rather than the rule. At our level, raw ability counts for a lot more than experience, since a youngster with a modicum of skill and ability can run rings around the dross that is in most teams in this league.

I remember when Brian mills came through. I was so excited by him. It's such a pity he got struck down like he did

Yes. A very appealing set up.

Let's hope that's the blueprint for the coming seasons.

3 hours ago, philmpv said:

I remember Mills a small stocky player if i am remembering right scored a couple in his first game i think

Micky Cullerton came through the system Mark Bright and Billy Paynter there must be more but I'm struggling, often thought what a bonus it would be if we could sell on a striker like the lad at Exeter who's name I can't remember, in fact who have we brought through the youth system in any position and sold for a good wedge say in the last 25 years ?

Could you class Robbie Earle released by that lot down the road ?

4 hours ago, philmpv said:

I think the key is finding the right balance between youth and experience. If you have too many young chancers then there is a risk that non of them are able to develop and/or the team is too weak for them to stand out.

That is why despite often having a torrid opening 20 minutes, our reserves usually defeat these u21 teams in the trophy games. 

7 hours ago, Walka003 said:
7 hours ago, Portvale4 said:

I would say a lot of the unknown quantities were largely greeted well (I don't recall to much uproar around the signings of Rodney Mills or Fitzpatrick). It was the known quantities that raised eyebrows (McKirdy and Theo)

I probably should have phrased it better - imagine the meltdown amongst our fans if we signed an unknown young lad who had achieved nothing at Doncaster. 

Rodney, Mills and Fitz had shown glimpses during their careers to suggest they’d improve the squad. 

Rodney - Had a good season in the National League, earning good reviews.

Mills - Player of the season at Morecambe a few years back. 

Fitz - Had been steady at Macc for a number of years. 

My point was, Watters had done nothing previously to suggest he’d be a success at Crawley. That goes back to the point, our fan base would have been in meltdown. 

Watters - Had a number of loan spells away from Donny, but didn’t do much. Failed to score in 5 league appearances for Donny. Released at the end of last season. 

Archived