onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Alex Hurst

KingRay

Last season I saw Alex Hurst play for Bradford Park Avenue at Darlington.  Bradford won 1-0 and Steve Thompson (remember him?) missed a last minute penalty for Darlington.  Alex played in central midfield and very much controlled the play – a role similar to Luke Joyce, but with a license to get forward more – he produced a very good save from the Darlington keeper in the second half with a well hit shot from 25 yards.  The Bradford fans seemed to think that central midfield was his natural position.

Watching the match against Wolves U21s on Tuesday, I kept wondering why the Vale were playing him wide left of a front three?  I am fully aware that, at 21 years old, Alex is a “freebie” squad member under the new EFL squad rules and that he needs experience at League 2 level.  Is it that the Vale have a weakness in that position – Amoo and Montano both injury prone giving Askey the opportunity to give him experience playing with senior professionals albeit out of position.  Or do the Vale management really see him as a wide left player willing to track back?

Advert

I think it was just an opportunity to give him a game. Watching him play he really lacks game experience and makes poor decisions more often that not. He's got a lot going for him though with quick feet, good balance and pace. With experience and more self belief when he gets on the ball he could be a really decent player at this level. He's far too lightweight to play centre midfield at L2 presently.

I expect we will try and find him a decent loan move to the conference in Jan to get him game experience.

I worry he is going to fall into the Ben Williamson/Anton Forrester/Jesse Lingard trap of "he's still young there's plenty of time for him to kick on"

He's 21, if he's going to make a bid for a first team/squad birth it needs to be this year or next. I thought he's looked really good in the games I've seen him so far this year, however I don't see him get starting minutes anytime soon over Woz and Amoo/monty. One of the keys strengths he has is his supposed versatility.

A Jan loan at a conference prem club and a good crack in preseason next year and we could have a winner on our hands.

Needs to bulk up a tad and diversify his manner of beating defenders; he tends to just knock it past them on the outside and attempt to outsprint them. This is fine, and can work, but eventually it'll become predictable.

Like him though. Seems to have improved and has a great workrate. Get him out on loan and get some proper minutes in him.

Looks a hard working type, but still very raw.  Strangely, he looks quick but I’m not sure he actually is, I can’t remember ever seeing him do anybody for sheer pace.  He could learn a bit from Wozz, who isn’t the quickest but uses his pace and energy to good effect.

Maybe in the position of advanced central midfielder in the 433 he could do OK, but it’s difficult to see him getting the run of games he needs without another spell out on loan.

Can see him making it as a lower league pro but not as a forward in a front 3. He played most of his football at Bradford PA at leftback. He's either a left midfielder with someone like Monty who likes to overlap behind him, or playing in a midfield 3. He's not a 10, those players stand out in a way Hurst doesn't.  He's quick rather than fast and obviously has good stamina. Although he can use his left he  clearly favours his right. 

At the moment he reminds me a little of a young Porter. Obviously has bags of enthusiasm and passion for the game. Rudge played Porter out wide right a lot at the start of his career even though he clearly was never a winger. It was a low risk position to get him experience.

I didnt watch the other night or v Wigan but I did watch him v Fleetwood and Liverpool 21s and think he could be a very useful outlet to bring on to freshen it up last 20 of any game I mean v Fleetwood he put a cross in that Robinson somehow missed. 

I like his positivity on the ball I'd put him in if Worrall or Montano do not make it tomoz but I do hope they both do as a big ask ask the lad put a standard of performance in of there calibre 

Archived